back to article South Korea has a huge problem with digital sex crimes against women says Human Rights Watch

International non-governmental organisation Human Rights Watch (HRW) released a report Wednesday describing digital sex crime in South Korea as rampant and pervasive, with the nation leading the world in use of spycams to capture women in vulnerable moments. The author calls on governments and companies to do more. The 105- …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The women [..] were often blamed"

Of course. You got raped, it's your fault for being attractive and not wearing a trash bag.

Wow. What a progressive mentality.

I know we still need to make progress here in The West, but damn, if a woman goes to the police, I would at least expect a proper complaint to be filed and prosecuted. In South Korea, apparently, the cops will ask you for incriminating evidence, have a good laugh and send you on your way.

That's disgusting.

And the amount of spycams is absolutely intolerable. There must be a large proportion of perverts down there. I think some cattle-prod education would do wonders to clear up the atmosphere.

1. First Light

Re: "The women [..] were often blamed"

The situation seems a bit insane. Definitely a reason for me as a female to avoid visiting there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The women [..] were often blamed"

>In South Korea, apparently, the cops will ask you for incriminating evidence, have a good laugh and send you on your way.

In Ireland the cops will impound your phone, copy your nude images to all their friends on whatsapp and then lobby for a new law demanding that they can stop anybody on the street and have them unlock any password protected content.

Fortunately we can always rely on the government to protect women

2. Korev Silver badge

The Register asked Barr how South Korea, and the world, can move forward. She said she would like to see tech companies focus on prevention, and not rely on government processes, adding:

We have to look for global solutions. In a borderless world, we can’t rely on government solutions to solve all the problems.

I'm very curious to know what she expects the tech companies to actually do here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Government solutions are exactly what is called for.

And if the government isn't producing the right solutions, change the government.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>I'm very curious to know what she expects the tech companies to actually do here?

Use the $Bn spent in AI research to detect nude pictures of women on a toilet and stop them being posted to Twitter.

If you want to post 'legitimate' pictures of a women urinating then it can be accompanied by a model release form.

3. Shalghar

"I'm very curious to know what she expects the tech companies to actually do here?"

<bitterness mode>

I would expect the usual, incentives to raise profits.

Lets expect tons of even smaller cameras, addon gadgets, wide angle lenses, motion detectors, pattern recognition and image processing software.....

</bitterness mode>

Many cultures still treat women as inferior or something like a pet or personal property. Not much difference to many states.

It took germany until the late 1980ies to classify rape in marriage as a crime. Home violence took more than a decade longer. At least the "Kranzgeld" was binned in the beginning of the 1970ies. It was a fee you had to pay a deflowered woman if you had promised her marriage formally ("Verlobung") but then refused to marry her. Only if she insisted to go to court and ruining her reputation, of course.

I shudder to imagine how many women refuse to go to court as they must be sure their "reputation" or "honour" will be damaged even further. Emancipation and civilization still have a long, long way to go.

The obsessively enforced genderspeeching does not help anyone, its a political cosmetic to show off how much "equality" is wanted while actually avoiding doing anything relevant on those issues.

3. the Kris

Well, that is the experience for too many male victims, not just in South Korea, but all over the western world. Go to the police, try to report sexual or other domestic abuse, get laughed at and sent away...

1. Korev Silver badge

It's actually not possible from a legal point of view for a man in England and Wales to be raped... Apparently other charges are brought against the perpetrator but it's still scandalous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like