back to article Ubuntu Pro arrives in premium form on Google's Cloud

Ubuntu Pro is coming to Google Cloud, replete with an all-important 10-year maintenance commitment for corporate punters who like things stable. While Canonical's Ubuntu is hardly new to Google's Cloud, the Pro edition joins other enterprise favourites in the premium category, such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...sliding scale depending on quantity.

Slides about as much as an odometer.

I install Ubuntiu, then KDE, then I'm in GUI delight. Why would I run Ubuntu off of a "cloud"? I guess that 10 year contract is the hook, otherwise most would just intall Debian.

2. sreynolds

Do the corpotate types trustt debian?

Isn't ubu still a debian based distro? Most corporate types still use rpm and don't believe in yum, so I wonder if anything that uses dpkg and apt will be taken seriously?

1. JM987

Re: Do the corpotate types trustt debian?

Money and support, and then money again. That's all that matters at the end of the day in my corporate life experience.

The question of will corporate types trust is was less important then what's it going to cost to run this.

2. William Towle
      Linux

Re: Do the corpotate types trustt debian?

> Most corporate types still use rpm and don't believe in yum, so I wonder if anything that uses dpkg and apt will be taken seriously?

Yes. IME when you want some sort of toolchain for linux-based development work then at minimum there's a host OS option of RHEL or Ubuntu. If you're free to have chosen host OS or to reinstall/create VMs etc then the list of suitable SDKs broadens, but if you're not (I've been in both camps) then you get either an rpm- or deb- package-managed system to work with based on who any existing support contracts were with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like