back to article Lenovo refreshes workstation ThinkPads with 11th-gen Intel CPUs, RTX graphics, 5G

Lenovo has spruced up a significant chunk of its workstation-class lineup with the ThinkPad P1, P15, and P17 all seeing significant upgrades. The ThinkPad P1, now in its fourth generation, comes with a built-in 5G modem, a larger 90Wh battery, and a new top-case, which includes a redesigned keyboard and larger trackpad. The …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Just one question

How many do they have to sell ? Because, from what I've been hearing as of late, there's not a glut of CPUs lying around.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Just one question

They cancelled our order of 100+, so not many.

2. Brad Ackerman

Re: Just one question

While there aren't many, Lenovo is assuredly getting a large percentage of the ones Nvidia does ship since they're the largest PC vendor; and P ThinkPads should be a higher-margin product so Lenovo will prefer to use the GPUs they get to build them rather than, say, consumer laptops.

2. karlkarl Silver badge
    Pint

Very cool to see a Linux installed on the advert of the guy pretending to work.

It took a while but it looks like we are finally progressing from 1995!

1. gv

This is me in my home office.

3. Lennart Sorensen

16:9 is outdated? Well I remember 4:3 and then 16:10 (1920x1200 monitors were great) before 16:9 took over because everything wanted to match HDTV resolution. So 16:10 is going back to a better resolution in my opinion, but it certainly isn't because 16:9 is outdated, rather 16:10 seems to be the one that became outdated.

1. Dave K

I think it's increasingly outdated on laptops, and good riddance too. It was never introduced because it was technically better, it was simply price and economies of scale due to the HDTV connection you mentioned. Plus of course the marketing advantage as you could label them with the same "High Definition" monikers that were used on TVs at the time (never mind the fact that the resolution had actually dropped from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 in many cases).

We've then had 10 years of laptops with uncomfortable screens and whopping, fat bezels at the bottom of the screen, but then 16:10 and 3:2 display have started to trickle back in - especially in "hip" devices like the Surfaces. Thinner bezels have become increasingly cool to have, the marketing label "HD" no longer sounds impressive, and companies are waking up to the fact that 16:9 displays are increasingly perceived as being old-fashioned now.

And like I say, I'm OK with it. What I now want to see if a resurgence of 16:10 monitors, and hopefully some 3:2 ones as well. However this may take a bit longer unfortunately.

2. dajames

Well I remember 4:3 and then 16:10 ...

Don't forget 5:4! 1280x1024 was common in the days of 17" and 19" non-wide monitors.

16:9 took over because everything wanted to match HDTV resolution.

Methinks it was rather that 16x9 panels were available cheaply because they were made for small consumer TVs ... but nowadays most people watch TV either on a larger screen or streamed to a phone or tablet, so the economy of scale has vanished and dimensions of laptop screens can once again be determined by what's appropriate rather than what's cheap.

4. Sparkus

AFAIK

NONE of the new Lenovo laptops with the 16" 4k screens are actually shipping. Anywhere.

5. ChrisC Silver badge

Ooh, discrete touchpad buttons instead of the godawful clickable all-in-one touchpads that almost every other manufacturer wants to foist on us now - even without the added bonus of some decent screen options, that instantly earns them a spot on my (very) shortlist to replace my existing laptop.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Lenovo use both options. buttons which are physically part of the keyboard assembly as well as the hidden micro-buttons under the bottom corners of the touchpad. The exposed larger keyboard buttons are not likely to disappear unless they remove the nipple from the keyboard.

1. Dave K

Lenovo did try to remove them with the dreaded "clickpad" on the T440 (the entire trackpad was a giant, movable button). I had one of these on my previous work machine and it was hands-down the worst trackpad I've ever used. So bad in fact that Lenovo caved into the negative feedback and brought the top buttons back for the T450.

2. Sgt_Oddball

Lenovo tried that...

In the God awful T/X/P*40 days.

The worst of it was that the whole pad moved when you clicked. Which almost always resulted in the pointer moving just before the click was registered.

I did wonder at first why they shipped them all with a Lenovo mouse....after a week I'd have cursed them more if it didn't.

That being said, the trackpad on the wife's Asus is good without the physical buttons but then it does also double up as a second screen with a few party tricks so there's that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like