back to article Cuffed: Ukraine police collar six Clop ransomware gang suspects in joint raids with South Korean cops

Ukrainian police have arrested six people, alleged to be members of the notorious Clop* ransomware gang, seizing cash, cars – and a number of Apple Mac laptops and desktops. "It was established that six defendants carried out attacks of malicious software such as 'ransomware' on the servers of American and [South] Korean …

1. Tom Paine

So you could say it's a case of...

...Clop clipped?

(I am so very sorry)

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Covid profits

The image claims that they would target pharmaceutical companies as they have made a profit form the pandemic, but I thought companies like Astra Zeneca etc. were doing the vaccines at cost, rather than for profit?

As an aside, I just wonder how many cyber crooks in Russia who have attacked Western companies or government organisations have been arrested in Russia. Or indeed, whether any Western cybercriminals have attacked Russian interests and been arrested by the Western police.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Juristiction

Where does a cyber crime take place?

At the keyboard or on a target on the other side of the world?

Its an interesting question.... made more difficult if the source and destination don't have extradition treaties...

Russia in particular has a law making it illegal to extradite any Russian citizen...

2. thames

Re: Covid profits

AstraZeneca are selling their vaccine at cost during the pandemic, but Pfizer are making billions in profit from selling theirs.

For Pfizer, their COVID-19 vaccine is the majority of their current sales, and they have a high profit margin. They plan on raising prices substantially in future when they are no longer selling directly to national governments but are dealing with health care providers directly, and so can set whatever price they want instead of having to negotiate with big national buyers.

So, if you are planning on targeting a pharmaceutical company, make sure you pick the right one. Some are raking in the cash while others don't have as much financial motivation to pay up.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"whether any Western cybercriminals have attacked Russian"

There are too few valuable targets there - and probably far harder to extract cash from them - even Western cybercriminals probably prefer Western targets - moreover some social engineering techniques would need a knowledge of Russian they don't have.

State-level cyber attacks are another story, and of course police doesn't target them.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: "whether any Western cybercriminals have attacked Russian"

I hadn't thought of that. Plus, of course, the Russians have the Novichok option, if they can figure out who you are, so probably that is enough of a deterrent.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suspects

It's very likely after these raids they will have a good idea who in Russia is the rest of the scum.

Hopefully they get the same experience journalist all over the world get from the Russian gov.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Suspects

"Hopefully they get the same experience journalist all over the world get from the Russian gov."

You are forgetting that Russia is 'allowing' these groups to exist and operate in a country that has a track record of 'chopping off at the knees' anyone who Putin dislikes or who offends his image of what russia should be.

There must be some thought that these groups are allowed to operate because it suits Putin and/or they are linked in some way with the various services that were once know as the KGB et al.

I cannot believe that they are operating 'against' Putins wishes and somehow are evading detection or arrest !!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

You two seem almost disappointed that the clods were Ukrainian.

The anonymous Russian ransomware gangs are unlikely to be linked with the clods since Putin is essentially at war with Ukraine and I doubt he supports transfer of hacking technology to them.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Transfer of technology? There's none of that. Ransomware isn't high tech. It's just a lot of effort at breaking in, installing it, and getting the payment out. Writing the software isn't particularly complex.

Russia and Ukraine don't like one another, but Russians and Ukrainians could easily participate in a criminal group without earning the government's attention. As long as that group isn't helping Ukraine's government, Russia doesn't have a reason to want to hurt them. In fact, they do have a reason to like that as they can blame some of the cybercrime problem on Ukraine.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

What a coincidence that this should happen just after they leaked all that spyplane stuff, pissing off the west's intelligence agencies en masse in so doing.

I hate to say I told you so, but.

First rule of a successful criminal career; No matter how big, nasty and teflon-coated you think you are, never step on the toes of any agency with a black ops section...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like