back to article The latest REvil ransomware victim? Sol Oriens. Oh, a US nuclear weapons contractor

The REvil ransomware gang, thought to be behind an attack on meat producer JBS which netted an impressive $11m payoff, has found another victim. Worryingly, this one works with the US Department of Defence on the nation's nuclear weapons programme. According to a statement released by Sol Oriens, the company was hit by "a …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Mushroom

Things that make you go *boom*!

I think the company should start looking for a new CSO (because the secret is out).

2. sanmigueelbeer
    Facepalm

Nationally-known Australian company lawyered up to resist ASD help

However the unnamed company lawyered up, and it took a week for the ASD to get even basic network information.

"This incident had a national impact on our country. On day 14, we're able to only provide them with generic protection advice, and their network is still down. Three months later, they get reinfected, and we start again".

This sounds like Toll Group.

3. FuzzyTheBear
    Mushroom

Nothing to see here ...

it's just normal .. nuclear secrets being kept online so the execs can show off to their friends during dinner parties.

I mean .. keeping nuclear secrets online .. what could possibly go wrong ?

4. CAPS LOCK

What is the description (copied below) a euphemism for?

"a small, veteran-owned consulting firm focused on managing advanced technologies and concepts with strong potential for military and space applications,"

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Joke

Re: What is the description (copied below) a euphemism for?

"We do secret squirrel research on new ways for soliders to kill babies that would be unpopular if it got leaked to the public in general."

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: What is the description (copied below) a euphemism for?

Good ol boy network with the right school and family ties set up in the perfect grift providing nothing of real value.

5. robert lindsay
    Headmaster

Its probably not a issue, actually. Companies like these (there are lots) usually hire people as contractors where they work at Govt sites. You go into to your contractors office for intial check in a never see them again. In this case I'm guessing it would be at Los Alamos.

6. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Where to begin?

I'm flabbergasted. Where to begin with this one? Maybe it's best we just skip to the end to make sense of it. Hitting a US nuke facility after they just mysteriously confiscated 10's of millions in ransomed bitcoins will be the LAST mistake you will make. So, there's that at least.

7. teknopaul

Good point

It would be interesting to see interview questions by the recruiters for shits n giggles.

8. ecofeco Silver badge

At this point...

Every company is getting what they deserve.

I have some top ITsec friends. Unemployed ITsec friends. With world class credentials. Did I mention unemployed? Needless to say, they have horror stories. Mostly of the "we found the flaw and here's the fix. What? I'm fired?" kind.

No mystery to me why these companies are having problems. So screw 'em. Harder if possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: At this point...

Leaving your door unlocked is not justification for the thief.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like