back to article Fancy the ultimate no-Air-outside-bnb? NASA willing to rent out ISS for two weeks

NASA is hoping to host more amateur astronauts at the International Space Station, putting them up for as much as two weeks at a time. Space tourism is taking off, and NASA wants to continue cashing in on the fun. In January next year, Axiom Space's Ax-1 mission is due to fly a professional astronaut and passengers to the …

1. ShadowSystems

Catapults & beer...

The first to fling folks into orbit, the second to drown out the complaints about reentry burns. Fekkin' whiners. Here, have a tube of aloe vera gel & some Neosporin, now go away & let me reset the catapult for the next vict... errr, customer. =-D

1. rskurat
      Meh

Re: Catapults & beer...

I'm sure that no matter what sort of waivers they sign, the first time a billionaire is hurt on one of these flights the lawyers will be out in force

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Two grand a day for food?

Billionaire or not, I'm taking a packed lunch.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Two grand a day for food?

Seen similar prices in Euro Disney

2. ShadowSystems

I'll call out for pizza! =-D

3. Rob Daglish

Yeah, two grand for food, then this 1.5k for sleeping bags and the like - I mean, Keswick isn’t the cheapest of towns when it comes to outdoor shops, but I reckon you could get a new sleeping bag for every night of the stay for less than that. Maybe even a trangia if you don’t buy the 4 season sleeping bags…

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'll be ROFLing thinking about billionnaires drinking their own pee

Not to mention the toilets.

Or the absence of solid foods.

Do go have two weeks of fun being locked up with everyone else's farts, and remember, you're paying almost $1m per day for the experience !

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Joke

Re: I'll be ROFLing thinking about billionnaires drinking their own pee

"Not to mention the toilets."

I suspect that is what the 'office supplies' are for.

;o)

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

If I were a tourist...

... in orbit, I'd rather be in accommodation with bigger interior spaces - for doing somersaults and other fun micro-gravity activities. Accommodation with soft padded sides, where I knew I was in no danger of damaging anything critical to survival.

And if I were a scientist or technician, I'd rather not have clumsy tourists fiddling (or colliding with) experiments or essential equipment. (Though I daresay some different company around the dinner table might be a nice change)

So, both sides could be better served if a custom-made space hotel was commissioned. One of those inflatable ones would do.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Where are they going to sleep?

IIRC, isn't there still an "unused by humans" expandable Bigelow "granny flat" still attached to the ISS?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Where are they going to sleep?

Not since the ISS darts tournament last year.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Where are they going to sleep?

I think they need to send a few more (inflatable?) "Hotel Modules" up there to accommodate the guests.

"Hey can I get some more towels? And another bathrobe? And will there be cappuccino at the continental breakfast? You can add a bit of liqueur to mine, please."

(Don't forget to tip the bellman)

or maybe it's more like camping out under the stars... "roughing it" for fun

6. Bitsminer Silver badge

A discount for couples?

I mean, after all, there is no historical record of, you know, doing it in space. Some lucky couple gets to be first!

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: A discount for couples?

"I mean, after all, there is no historical record of, you know, doing it in space."

Probably covered by some NDAs and security regulations and government secrecy laws, oh and personal data privacy regulations.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: A discount for couples?

"personal data privacy regulations."

It may be the "International" Space Station, bu8t I bet the US have jurisdiction everywhere other than the Russian Modules. So there are no "personal data privacy regulations." in practice :-)))

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure like others, they will remove it from Airbnb's listing after some guests rent it for a big weekend party, invite more people to stay than the place allows, disturb the neighborhood, and leave the place a complete mess.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Musk, Bezos and Branson walked into a space bar....

8. Sirius Lee

But is it on the green list?

Or is quarantine when you get home.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like