back to article Artemis I core stage finally pointing in the right direction at Kennedy Space Center

Engineers have hoisted the core stage of NASA's mega-rocket, the Space Launch System, vertical ready to bolt on its boosters and roll the stack to the launchpad later this year. The milestone has been a while coming in a programme beset by delays and difficulty, both engineering and financial. Engineers with Exploration …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Vertical

As one who has spent the last year primarily horizontal, I applaud Artemis' new found verticality.

I look forward to the whole stack being assembled and hope the flight goes well.

Although, if I'm honest, given the program's history, I doubt they will make the November date.

1. W.S.Gosset
      Angel

Re: Vertical

> given the program's history, I doubt they will make the November date.

Sure, they will!

Just not in November.

1. Joe W Silver badge

November, but which year?

1. Red Ted
          Joke

Perhaps November will be one of those really long months in the same way as March 2020 want on and on until some time in July!

2. S4qFBxkFFg

Once the solid fuel boosters are stacked, they need to be used within a certain time (several months, AFAIR), so there is a limit to how long it can stand there doing nothing.

I'm sure the contractors involved are hoping for the limit to be busted, so they can present a menu listing all the expensive options for remediation.

"Would sir care for the erection of a full-height non-destructive testing scanning rig, or perhaps for peace of mind, we can do the full lowering, disassembly to booster segments, manual inspection, and restacking?"

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Mushroom

"Although, if I'm honest, given the program's history, I doubt they will make the November date."

Let's hope they aren't planning on Nov. 5th. We in the UK know what happens to rockets launched on that date! See icon!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like