back to article 'Welcome to Perth' mirth being milked for all it's worth

Bloody helpful, those Aussies. And jolly friendly too. In fact, they're so damn helpful one bloke painted "Welcome to Perth" in giant capital letters on a rooftop so air passengers about to land at the city airport could look down and see the greeting. Snag is, the sign isn't on the final descent to Perth. It's just a hop, …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

Cool and normal

Just some Aussies being jolly friendly and joking about. If you want to see some more fine Aussie humor about government you could watch some Honest Government Ads from thejuicemedia (NSFW) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKRw8GAAtm27q4R3Q0kst_g

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Cool and normal

Well as we're on the subject of Aussie humour, may I recommend, for those who haven't yet seen it, the wonderful Clarke and Dawe discussing how the front fell off!

1. Timbo

Sadly John Clarke died in 2017, but his legacy lives on, on Youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clarke_(satirist)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Thanks for the link

That is an awesome channel. I am going to be checking it out in detail.

Just in time too, I've spent my usual time-wasting channels' content :).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fuck. I worked all night long, and the clicked on the link above....Now I'm not going to sleep until I finish Season 1 and 2...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and they signed a trade deal with Johnson

That's going to be laugh

2. Denarius

Sydney thinks it is Oz

I have lived in various delightful places in Oz and around it. It is a given that all crapital cities think they are the center of regional power, except Canberra the Federal center, which has populations who think they matter on world stage. Only if its first stage of SLS, one way. I digress. Sydney-sides really do think they are Oz. Even in NSW of which Sydney is the state capital, most of the suburbanites have no clue how big NSW is, let alone the country. So sign on Opera House roof is a prank, but a reverse prank aimed at parochial locals, not incomers IMHO.

1. Magani
      Meh

Re: Sydney thinks it is Oz

Spot on. The world revolves around Sydney (according to a lot of its residents) and a certain other large Victorian metropolis (according to their residents).

Just one example:- Naming of State Symphony Orchestras (S.O.)

NSW - Sydney S.O.

Vic - Melbourne S.O

Qld: - Queensland S.O.

Tas: - Tasmanian S.O.

SA. - South Australian S.O.

WA - Western Australian S.O.

1. Denarius
        Joke

for a second there I though SO meant Significant Other. Figures, living in the cities means you are screwed. Then I saw Symphonic Orchestras.

2. Diogenes

If you want smug and the 'whole country revolves around us', try the former world's 'most livable city' Melbourne (dethroned because of LockDans v1 through v4).

1. Precordial thump Silver badge

Most livable according to The Economist.

Let's examine the economics of allowing a pandemic to run unchecked through a population. Then let's examine the ethics of that.

1. Ken G Silver badge
          Trollface

If you're a giant poisonous spider?

3. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

Are you trying to tell me Sydney isnt the centre of the world? Come off it! Next you'll be telling me the world's not flat, the Sun doesnt rotate around the Earth, and it's not Turtles all the way down!!!

4. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

It's 14,665 kilometres between Sydney and Perth if you can fly direct. Which you can't. Driving is impossible unless you mean the OTHER Perth.

1. ayay

Perth, Ontario?

2. Wexford

> Driving is impossible unless you mean the OTHER Perth.

Perth, Tasmania is much closer but you still have to fly to get there from Syndey. Or put the car on the ferry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Question

Would that be a laden or unladen koala?

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: Question

I'm more confused by the sudden realization that this means there must be European and Africa koalas.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Of course the Australian koala is non-migratory

1. Denarius
          Childcatcher

Migrating koalas. Yep, too often. Lives in symbiosis with gullible homo sapiens who introduce it to new habitats which are then eaten into oblivion. The symbiants, oddly enough, then wail against moving excess koala population to a new site to be despoiled. The great unknown in evolutionary terms is what the symbiants get out of moving completely unrelated animals into new areas, then leaving them there to kill eucalypts and then die. Oddly, there seems to be a correlation between the koala moving /non-moving homo sapiens who wail about insufficient resources for their own kind and the need to avoid breeding, but wish to allow uncontrolled introduction of unrelated homo sapiens. Go figure

1. W.S.Gosset
            Headmaster

Fun Fact: koalas are actually in plague proportions down south.

For the reasons Denarius mentioned compounded by faux-greenies insisting they're endangered so insisting on huge unbalanced plantings of their food trees.

Victoria routinely has to cull them now! One cull alone was 1,500 (!) and in the Before & After photos of the koala infestation, the After photo looks like the Somme circa 1918.

2. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

There might be, after all there are Wallabys living wild in Yorkshire.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I wouldn't say wild - they are really quite reserved

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Neither. bin laden koala, a very slow freight animal related to drop bear. Hints the a bin laden koala abandons load to become a drop bear as it does it in high trees

3. Kane
      Boffin

"Would that be a laden or unladen koala?"

Not dissimilar to the drop bear. Laden, because of the extra padding on it's buttocks.

4. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge

meanwhile in Old North Wales

http://www.welshnotbritish.com/2013/12/piss-off-biggles.html

1. Mage Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: meanwhile in Old North Wales

Terrible.

5. Kane
    Thumb Up

"I mean, it's not that funny, though, is it, really?"

No, it's bloody hilarious

1. Ken G Silver badge
      Pint

Re: "I mean, it's not that funny, though, is it, really?"

It is if you're drunk enough*

*not on those weak and tiny Australian beers

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: "I mean, it's not that funny, though, is it, really?"

Well actually Aussie standard beer is what the Brits call Heavy, and what the Brits call normal beer/ale strength is called a Light beer downunder.

Size-wise, we Aussies have now caught up: no longer the tiny Pot, now the Pint is standard.

Still, our beers taste rubbish compared to a proper English ale. HSB FTW!

(CAMRA member, ~25yrs standing)

6. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge
    Happy

Funny ?

Well yes it appeals to me tbh... OTH they've blown 4500 aus for the try hard humour demonstration and that is funnier...

7. juice

I am disappoint

This was a prime opportunity to fire up the Reg's Online Standards convertor, so that we could definitely quantify the distance between Sydney and Perth.

I'm happy to say that I've now gone and done the appropriate >clickety<, and can confirm that you can actually fit 355786.9617 double-deckers between Sydney and Perth.

Bit of a shame about that last 0.0383 of a bus, but a quick bit of angle grinding'll soon sort that out...

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: I am disappoint

Just let the Missus park them. They'll be no issues getting two buses to fit in the length of 1.9617.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am reminded of my first job...

running an amusement park ride. The ride itself was a reverse bungee. At one point, my manager used masking tape to make an outline of a person, with one leg a couple feet away, on the roof of the building about 20 feet away. Not too many customers noticed, but the few that did got a good laugh.

The footage from the onboard camera was invariably NSFW due to language. My mother says she was very glad she didn't see the ride in action until AFTER I stopped working there.

9. Hazmoid

The regular additional comment was that he should have painted a Scottish flag next to it to really confuse the jet-lagged :)

10. Miami Mike
    Devil

I'm sure the airline people are not amused, having to constantly reassure their paying passengers that yes, their pilots CAN find the correct airport.

"This is your captain speaking. We will be landing at Sydney in four minutes. If you look out of the left side of the aircraft, you will see a sign painted on a rooftop saying "Welcome to Perth". That sign is not correct. If you are distressed by this, we suggest you call the owner of the building and tell him so. His business phone is, his home phone is, his cell phone is, and his wife's cell phone is . . . "

Bet he goes and buys a bucket of paint right quick . . .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like