back to article Orbex is creeping towards orbit from a UK launchpad, but first there are courts, birds, and billionaires to overcome

British rocketeeer Orbex has spent the best part of the last half decade or so moving towards the goal of a first commercial orbital launch from home soil. While others have shown off engine firings and sub-orbital lobs, Orbex is aiming for orbit with its Prime rocket. In an industry where dates tend to be forever moving …

1. Chris G

It's nice when you hear from practical rocketeers who talk straight and don't embellush everything with hype.

It seems Orbec has a well thought out plan they are sticking with until it functions smoothly and regularly. I suppose then theu may consider whether or not bigger things are worth considering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

While I cringe when I hear of courts and planning councils, I wish them well and hope they make it.

All companies could learn a lesson from them - plan, be practical, and shun hype.

As far as rockets, sort of the opposite of Top Gear's Reliant Robin Shuttle.

2. Persona

Commercially challenging

It would be nice to see them launch, but their chosen market segment has a lot of small launch contenders fighting for it and the market isn't very elastic.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prime Rocket

Next day delivery? Too slow.

4. Mishak Silver badge

objections from Anders Povlsen ... invested a substantial sum in another space port

He'll need better grounds than that to present to the planning board...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: objections from Anders Povlsen ... invested a substantial sum in another space port

According to:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57403221

his objections (well, the objections of his company Wildland Ltd) are about the lack of provision of facilities for spectators (and the impact on the area), and poor demarcation of any exclusion zone around the launch site. No mention is made of any commercial conflict with his Shetland launch site. This may have been left out of the BBC's report.

Apparently the Povlsens are one of Scotland's largest landowners, having bought up several estates across the country.

1. Danny 2

Re: objections from Anders Povlsen ... invested a substantial sum in another space port

Povlsen is the biggest private landowner in Scotland (the MoD own more) and the richest citizen here and in Denmark. Got a lot of sympathy when three of his kids were killed in the Sri Lanka bombings. Keen on 'rewilding' his estates with wolves, bears, sabretooth tigers etc.

Not the worst invasive species billionaire but still makes me a wee bit nativist with this space-port shenanigans.

5. macjules
    Coat

PowerPoint rockets?

At least the presentation looks good.

6. Ol'Peculier

Best of luck, although you do owe me a new keyboard due to the line ""I got lucky in finding the only billionaire on the planet who doesn't want to build a space rocket!"

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Povlsen has invested a substantial sum in another space port in Shetland.

In that case that objection should be easily dealt with "if you don't object to mine I won't object to yours".

It reminds me of the time when a pub kept objecting to someone converting a house a couple of hundred yards or so away as a restaurant. The objections were based on the house not having any parking. Neither did the pub which was less than a hundred yards away from a cross roads with traffic lights and whose parking lines extended most of the way to the house. Surprisingly the would-be restaurateur gave up instead of making the obvious objection next time the pub's license renewal was due.

8. Abominator

Typical. NIMBY's of the UK unite. Why are they even bothering to try and launch here when the planning system for anything is dreadful and is blocked by special interests all the time.

Good luck to them, but I am not holding my breath on orbital class rockets launching from the UK.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon