back to article EA Games looted by intruders: Publisher says 'no player data accessed' after reported theft of FIFA 21, Frostbite source

EA Games, publisher of Battlefield, The Sims and FIFA, has admitted to a "recent incident of intrusion into our network" in which attackers reportedly stole game source code and software development kits. The company acknowledged the breach while downplaying its impact, saying no personal data of players had been taken and …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

Couldn't have happened to a nicer AAARGH publisher

Except Ubisoft I guess.

Excuse me while I get the world's smallest violin, EA is part of everything that's wrong with the games industry.

2. tmTM

Good luck with that

Maybe they can sort it all out and hand it back to EA, so they can finally put a game out that's not half-baked at launch.

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

A number of thoughts

1) Shouldn't a games company be at least one step ahead of data thieves?

2) Shouldn't a tech company have had the skills to tie down vulnerabilities

3) Shouldn't a high security operation have made sure their stuff was siloed so that no one could ever get to more than a part of it

4) All of the above when a high security computer based games company like EA is concerned

And

5)Isn't the big risk now that the criminals will be selling compromised cheats etc. that also take control of foolish purchasers* PCs

*Not a gamer** ( can never be bothered to struggle past that bit early in the game where the only way forward is to keep trying random things in a series of random sequences until a random combination of objects align to open the secret door in a random location), so I don't get the point of having "cheats". (Other than, I guess, to get past that bit early in the game where the only way forward is to keep trying a.........)

**I also don't enjoy all that killing".

4. wolfetone Silver badge

Network Security

Obviously that was included in a loot crate, part of some DLC, that they obviously couldn't afford.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fifa 21 source code taken. Hackers due to release Fifa 21, Fifa 22, Fifa 23, Fifa 24, Fifa 25.... next week.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I think I've seen a preview...

It's the one where England are confidant they can win, struggle to get through the first round and are soundly defeated in the second by a team of part time postmen and telephone sanitisers from a small island in the middle of a large ocean.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: I think I've seen a preview...

So they're re-releasing FIFA 2004?

Brave move.

6. jason_derp

Nah

"Game source code is valuable because makers of big-ticket titles go to some lengths to obfuscate their code in order to deter cheaters from giving themselves an unfair advantage in online multiplayer sessions."

It's a FIFA game. Surely somebody already dumped the code from FIFA 14 BCE that could serve the same purpose as far as advantages go. It's not like Electronic Arts has done any updating to the game since then.

7. vtcodger Silver badge

Catastrophe

I guess I'm willing to believe that video game source code is worth marginally more than an invisible sculpture. https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2021/06/07/invisible_sculpture_is_a_must/

So, EA must be out of pocket ... hmmm ... somewhere around €15,001? However will they survive?

8. Falmari Silver badge
    Mushroom

No player data accessed

“no player data accessed” We get this bullshit statement time and again when ever a company is hacked. These statements that no customer data was accessed should be challenged by the authorities. The reality is they have found no evidence that customer data was accessed. These companies should not be allowed to make these statements that customer data was not accessed unless they can prove it.

Without evidence to the contrary, it should be assumed that customer data has been accessed. Companies should be required to follow the rules/laws that apply when customer data was known to be accessed.

In this case why would you not think that customer data has been accessed? I mean EA are a games company the most important thing to them are their games, the code. Thieves have got away with their crown jewels their most protected assets. If they can do that there is no reason to believe that on they way out that did not take customer data as well.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Hackers Used Slack to Break into EA Games

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kvkqb/how-ea-games-was-hacked-slack

1. Falmari Silver badge

Re: How Hackers Used Slack to Break into EA Games

Cheers for the link.

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

FLAG TAKEN!

YOUR TEAM HAS THE LEAD!

Seriously though, "It's worth noting that EA are so hated that they have twice won the award for being worst company in America against the sort of companies who's activities occasionally result in massive environmental damage and/or people actually dying."

According to the Vice article: "The representative for the hackers provided screenshots to help corroborate the various steps of the hack"

Damn, that's some serious in-the-face screw-you-here's-how-we-did-it

11. NicX

Frostbitten

Can't say I'd mind getting my hands on that Frostbite Engine source code. I'm not anywhere near good enough of a programmer to create my own engine with it, but I would like to analyze it to see how they pull of some of the things they do with it.

1. Kanhef

Re: Frostbitten

Given that it's EA, I'm more curious to see how badly it's written.

1. Combustable Lemon

Re: Frostbitten

Well frostbite was written by DICE not EA. Let's not credit EA with creating that engine.

12. heyrick Silver badge

780GB?!

Jeez, I'm just trying to work out how infinitely long that would take to download with my rural broadband...

...and these hackers grabbed it before anybody noticed.

13. Tempest

"Criminals"?

Hard to tell the difference between the Hackers and EA given EA's pricing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like