back to article 'Ring of fire' headed to northern UK – a partial solar eclipse, not the sensation you get after a potent vindaloo

Dust off your funky eclipse sunglasses and your homemade pinhole projector – a partial solar eclipse is set to cast a blurry shadow across parts of the UK on Thursday. The partial eclipse – best viewed by those in the north of the Britain – starts at 10:08 BST, 10 June, peaking at 11:13 before finally ending at 12:22. …

1. Flywheel

blurry shadow

Yes. And for those of you that live in the North of England, there'll no doubt be the customary layer of low-lying cloud at that time, Every. Single. Time.

1. Steve K

Re: blurry shadow

..and the South East of England today too!!

We're in this together.

2. Tom 7

With the sun and the moon in the same place in the sky the combined gravitational pull sucks water out of the earth into the sky where it invariably turns into cloud.

Every sodding time.

1. billat29
        Devil

Actually, trying to calculate the changing profile of the central luminance source exceeds the power budget of the simulation. Cheaper to simulate clouds whenever there is an "astronomical event" booked.

All you naysayers are just fake posts from the real, genuine and literal BOFH.

3. Little Mouse

Yup - 10 minutes to go and it's cloudy out.

But I guess the Hot Hail has to come from somewhere...

1. RockBurner

Upvoted for the Flash Gordon reference.

2. MJI Silver badge

Cloudy

All I can see are clouds

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Cloudy

Didn’t even notice it going dark, I was on a call at 11 and none of the others had noticed even though we all are working from home….

Clouds clouds clouds

3. Magani
    Coat

How to curry favour

Isn't the Ring of Fire what you get after a memorable Vindaloo?

I'm here all week; try the butter chicken.

4. ThatOne Silver badge
    Unhappy

Last minute warning...

Couldn't you post that article at least a day before, so people had a chance to read it before the event?...

1. PTW
      Pint

^^^ This!

It was cloudy here anyway, but I completely agree. Have a pint in commiseration

1. Spoobistle
        Joke

Re: ^^^ This!

I don't think anybody saw this one coming!

Actually the clouds here were just thin/thick enough that you could see the bite out of the cherry without the fancy glasses. (I got mine out of the back of a drawer and found the warning "DO NOT use after Aug 12 1999".)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Golden Oldie - Warning: may be NSFW

Item one on this list:

https://www.theregister.com/2013/12/02/xmas_list_suggestions/

R.I.P. Lester.

6. Annihilator

"'Ring of fire' headed to northern UK"

Not to be that guy (but I will), the ring of fire refers to the total eclipse. So 'it' didn't head to northern UK.

Just looked the schedule though. The next UK total eclipse isn't until 2090. Even with advances in medical science, that feels unlikely for me... :|

7. MJI Silver badge

I videoed the last one

Back in 1999 I think, but cannot find the video tape.

As camera was on last legs it was worth a gamble, viewfinder showed in in B&W, not sure what colour it recorded in as I used a welding mask to shoot through.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I videoed the last one

I remember standing in the car park outside the office late morning to see a partial eclipse I think that must have been March 2006.

I also remember going out in the playground as a child to see something. I remember using an unexposed photograph but I'm a bit puzzled which one that was. I thought I was at Congleton which implies 1972/73 but nothing seems to fit even looking a couple of years later when I was at Exeter doesn't seem like there was anything to see.

1. Ordinary Donkey

I remember that one. I was walking through the trees and all the tiny specs of light through the leaves turned into little banana shapes.

Would have been nice to know this was going to happen today but ah well.

2. Spoobistle

I'd guess your playground memory might have been May 1975, as I have a recollection of peering through crisp packets which must have been about that time.

8. Conundrum1885

Same here

Also used the welding mask method and got some nice pictures despite the near total low cloud cover.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like