back to article Indian government to Twitter: Stop offshoring and outsourcing – or risk losing legal protections

India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has written to Twitter with a final warning after the micro-blogging service offshored and outsourced some of its obligations under the nation’s content takedown laws. The world’s second-most-populous nation and the micro-blogging service have been beefing over …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pot and kettle

"Yes, dear reader, that’s an Indian ministry saying offshoring and outsourcing just aren’t good enough."

Pot and kettle, really.

But, as the french put it, "plus c'est gros, plus ça passe" which is more or less the bigger the easier it goes.

1. John70

Re: pot and kettle

My thoughts exactly...

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

plus c'est gros, plus ça passe

With a few exceptions ^^

3. martinusher Silver badge

Students of irony would then learn that the nodal contact person would be either an underpaid Indian import working on a tenuous H1B or an American manager of a team of same.

4. macjules

There are few things as pedantic or officious as an Indian civil servant. For sheer bureaucratic intolerance and dogged refusal to see anything that isn't exactly defined in law they take some beating.

Of course all of this can be easily resolved ... usually by application of green-backs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY)

They need to put more effort into all the phone and internet based scams coming out of their country. The ones where they try and get you to install LogMeIn or some other remote software.

1. stiine Silver badge
      Devil

Re: India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY)

Do they think they're gods?

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

Stop offshoring and outsourcing

I agree with the Indian government, stop offshoring and outsourcing if you want a good reactivity and a good quality of service.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pack up and go home.

Twitter should just pack up their shit and close up shop before returning to America. If India thinks their homebrew clone can do just as well then let them try. Meanwhile Twitter gives a cheery wave before firing their entire Indian workforce and going home. I wonder how well India's government would cope with having a few thousand "high tech" jobs suddenly flushing away? How well would they cope with a "high tech" employer refusing to hire any Indians? What kind of message does it send to the Indian populace if the general sentiment of "If your government wants to play hardball then we can just refuse to play with you anymore" starts rippling out to other corporations around the planet? I know it's unlikely and it's only a single company but imagine the political shitstorm if such an attitude suddenly made India no longer a desireable place to employ by anyone not already up to their necks in India...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pack up and go home.

Indeed, I was left wondering why Twitter didn't immediately resorted to the same old economic blackmail US companies have been deploying since IT began.

Well, OK, with the exception of Microsoft where the Gases Foundation would only help if the country would commit to waste a lot of its GDP on Microsoft products..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, how dare they question the US superiority!

1. Warm Braw

I wonder if India and Florida realise how much they have in common?

1. ShadowSystems

At Warm Braw...

Is there an Indian version of "Florida Man"?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"a few thousand "high tech" jobs suddenly flushing away?"

I can't find any reference as to how many people Twitter employ in India. As of 2020, Twitter employed a total of 5,500 people. That doesn't really indicate that there are 1000's of high tech Twitter employees in India to be "let go". There may well be a few, but I suspect most Twitter employees in India will be phone drones and "checkers", neither of which are "high tech" or well paid.

I'd more likely believe that Twitter needs the huge market of India than India needs the relatively tiny number of jobs that Twitter brings.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't forget all those H1B recipients that Twitter likes to pull in for all those jobs no American can supposedly fill, or all those Indian-native-speaker "anti bullying" style folks they employ to keep tweeters from devolving into Indian racial/ethnic slurs, et al.

If Twitter decides to flush their entire Indian workforce over the actions of the Indian government then it might look bad on Twitter for having done so but it will *definitely* be bad for the Indian government as other (tech) companies reconsider their own interactions with the Indian citizenry due to said governmental interference.

"You can come work in India and enjoy our vibrant workforce but you'll have to accept us micromanaging your every move while here... Hey! Where are you going? Come back! We want to-" *door slam* "-welllll... fuck!"

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Hey MEITY!

How about setting up an Indian office to monitor and shut down India’s largest cottage industry.

>>> Telephone/internet scams <<<

They are a national disgrace to all Indians.

6. Abominator

The Indian government does not get irony then.

Outsourcing...really? Like they have built an industry on offshoring jobs. Like really badly and so much so these days they even beat the Nigerians for the volume of internet and phone scams that originate from Indian call centres.

7. T. F. M. Reader

The world’s most-populous nation

Hmm... I had to check, and I am glad I did.

The current population of India is 1,392,605,249 as of Monday, June 7, 2021

The current population of China is 1,444,494,142 as of Monday, June 7, 2021

So, not yet, but only by the nose... ;-)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Re: The world’s most-populous nation

China has 3 times the land area of India, so if you fudge the numbers a bit and add in population density you can probably claim anything you like with the resulting stats :-)

2. doublelayer Silver badge

I came here to say the same thing. I know this law is taking India in a Chinese direction, but that doesn't make them the same. Maybe one of us should send them a corrections email.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really?

India - the country that used to be the largest so-called democracy on the planet.

:/

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Thanks -- it was fixed. But don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot anything wrong so we can fix it straight away.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like