back to article Now that Trump is useless to Zuckerberg, ex-president is exiled from Facebook for two years, possibly indefinitely

Facebook on Friday announced that former US President Donald Trump will be banned from its platform until at least January 7, 2023, having deemed two-years the appropriate period of exile for statements interpreted as an effort "to provoke further violence," as CEO Mark Zuckerberg put it when the ban was announced. Trump lost …

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Punishment?

Is being banned from Facebook supposed to be some sort of punishment? If one continues to misbehave do they escalate to more severe measures such as force feeding the miscreant ice cream sundaes?

1. harmjschoonhoven

Re: Punishment?

You can be punished by FB in two ways. Either you are their product or you are banned.

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
        Joke

So, when I hit the delete account button two or three years ago, that was self-inflicted punishment, then?

If that's the case... I must be into this punishment thing! Yes, YES, more! I've been a baaaad boy!

*cough* sorry...

1. teknopaul

If you follow the link to the article about his cancelled blog there is a promotional photo of Trump looking serious writing in a big journal, but you can see that he has only written THREE BIG WORDS half way down the page and is using a felt tipped pen. Classic

2. Adelio

Not using facebook myself I do not see the issue.

In fact i am appalled at how many people still think that facebook is the way to live their lives.

Really......

Get a life, a real one.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Unfortunately, others increasingly see it (and similar abortions such as Linkedin) as mandatory for recognition of one's very existence. Many contractor recruiters now only advertise and communicate via Linkedin. If you're not on it you don't get notified of or considered for any contracts.

1. jake Silver badge

Personally, I find social media mentions to be good filter material. For example, I've been dropping resumes/c.v.s that mention Linkedin into the shredder for about ten years now. IMO, it is nothing more than laziness on your part, and I don't hire lazy people.

Remember, your resume/c.v. is a paper representation of yourself. Treat it accordingly. Free hint: Have it proofread by several people who aren't brown nosers before you actually use it. I may be critical, but even I know that I can't proof my own work!

See this ancient post for more.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Its shit. But if others choose to use it who are we to judge. That maybe how they want to live their life, not up to us to say "get a life". I play games a lot, as I enjoy them, people still say "get a life".

My point, people use it for all kinds of things. One person I know just uses it for past time stuff in the area where everyone uploads very old photos of where we live. Others use it to keep in contact in a way they find useful for family in Australia.

I don't use it, had an account in the early days but then deleted it but I also don't judge others that do or tell them to "get a life". Sick of hearing that when I play games, I'm sure they are sick of it because they happen to like Facebook.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Is being banned from Facebook supposed to be some sort of punishment?"

For you and I? No. For an attention seeking media whore? Yes, it's the end of the world!

4. macjules
      Meh

You can only have ice cream sundaes if you agree to photograph the sundae, photograph yourself with the sundae, photograph yourself doing something stupid with the sundae or invite friends with their dogs and cats to watch you eating your sundae.

1. ThePhantom

Is that you, Nancy Pelosi?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Is being banned from Facebook supposed to be some sort of punishment?"

For a narcissist? Yes.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Co-Conspirator #1

He entitled to *one* phone call, nothing more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Co-Conspirator #1

Phone sex with that Ukrainian?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Biden's son Hunter ?

1. codejunky Silver badge

@Khaptain

I just read quite a good article you might like-

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/a-lesson-leaks-out-for-the-censorious-left-embrace-open-debate-because-sometimes-youre-wrong

Not sure such lessons will be learned but we can hope

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sic transit

insania.

1. Magani
      Coat

Re: Sic transit

So, are you going to see Gloria on Monday?

1. Stoneshop

Re: Sic transit

No, she threw up in the back of the van.

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Happy

Popcorn ready

I await the remarkably reasonable and sane comments sure to ensue in this thread.

5. Joe W Silver badge

No difference

political figures will continue to be exempt from having their ads [...] reviewed by its fact-checking program

So normal ads are fact checked? I find this hard to believe, with many complaining about ad scam on FB. I cannot check that, because I'm not on FB. Nor will I.

1. Chris G

Re: No difference

"political figures will continue to be exempt from having their ads [...] reviewed by its fact-checking program"

This is so that, although a politician may be on the naughty step regarding their ability to comment, foment or dissent, they are still able to spend those all important campaign funds on advertising.

6. macjules

Just ignored a Trump ad

It was from a shady organisation called WWF and they wanted money from me to help the orange tanned one. Or was that an Orangutan?

1. beep54
      Headmaster

Re: Just ignored a Trump ad

Careful there. The WWF is the World Wildlife Fund. They successfully sued the rasslin' organization (which is now the WWE) and got their name back.

1. beep54

Sorry Ignore that. There seems to be no delete button here...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Top right of your post, just under the "time since posted" link is one marked "withdraw". Only you will see that link on your own posts. On other peoples posts, that's the "Report Abuse" link.

2. jake Silver badge
          Pint

"There seems to be no delete button here..."

This is TehIntraWebTubes. There is no delete. Once posted, somebody, somewhere knows about it. Possibly many somebodys. Maybe even the Wayback Machine or alphagoo. Act accordingly.

I'd insert an ElReg HOWTO nuke your own post here, but I see JB already has.

Beers all around are in order.

3. macjules

There was one but in true Twitter style you have to buy the Vulture app in order to have that ability.

2. ThePhantom

Not the world wrestling foundation?

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    WTF?

Not holding my breath

First it was a lifetime ban... then they had to rethink it, now it is 2 years, how long before the next rethink? I've never used FB, but enough sheeple do. I wonder how long it will really take for FB to cave again, and his bilge will be fed to the oh so easily swayed masses?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

On the other hand ...

I have not seen any news directly about Trump since January (well done internet!). In part that is because I read mostly "biased librul media" who will not give him any more covfefe. Even taking that account I was expecting to see something. I put some effort into preventing my search results being selected to match my preconceptions. Even there searching for recent news about him shows mostly his legal problems with no direct quotes. I had to scroll down a long way to find anything positive and that was only on the little crazy conspiracy sites dedicated to him and rt.

Trump's effectiveness at destroying the United States was limited by his ignorance and narcissism. When the Republicans find a candidate without such limitations they do not want Trump splitting the vote. Perhaps they are keeping him out of any media they control so they can get a more competent corrupt candidate nominated. If they succeed perhaps Trump's come back will get librul support - Trump was very effective at nobbling other Republican presidential candidates and he was personally responsible for a large number of votes for Biden.

Trump was the first US president to lose the popular vote twice in a row. If he stands again he should be able to get a commanding lead and hold the record for many years to come.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: On the other hand ...

The Republican Party is split between those who who support the Jan 6th insurrection, and the ones who have been kicked out of the party leadership for refusing to support such attacks on the USA.

The primaries are going to be decided by the vicious career liars like McConnell, Cruz and the batshit crazies, then voted on by the tiny minority of the population that the various Republican governors still allow the vote.

If they kill off or neuter the For The People bills then the USA will become a banana republic with the biggest military in the world.

And they're going to try, because McConnell et al know damn well that they cannot possibly win a free and fair election unless they radically change their policies.

It's pretty terrifying.

1. DS999 Silver badge

This is a perfect example of why gerrymandering needs to be banned and districts should be assigned via a nonpartisan method - in today's world that could easily be a computer program designed to draw maximally compact districts.

In a sane world, primaries that result in your party standing batshit crazies who believe in QAnon and that Trump will be magically "reinstated" in August should result in a landslide loss, so that your voters learn their lesson and choose people palatable to the middle of the road people next time. In many gerrymandered districts the primary is the only election that matters, a dead Nazi's headless corpse would win in the general election if they have the right letter behind their name.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes, what we need is a Constitutional amendment for fair redistricting. That wouldn't solve all the problems with US Federal elections by a long shot, but it would be a big help.

(Marginally-relevant historical anecdote: Elbridge Gerry himself was opposed to gerrymandering, even though as governor of Massachusetts he signed the bill creating the district which inspired the term. Pressure from the party and all that.)

1. DS999 Silver badge

I think a federal law would be sufficient, since it already holds the power of the census I think a law that standardized federal redistricting on a nationwide basis would pass muster with the courts.

They couldn't control redistricting in state houses with such a law, but I'm not sure even a constitutional amendment would permit that. That's probably better attacked via an equal protection clause lawsuit anyway, as courts have already forced some states going too far to redraw their maps.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
          Coat

Too many beers in the sun? BUT I had the awful feeling it will be Trump and MTG in 2024, bye bye Mr. Pence. Pence says he 'probably won't ever see eye to eye with Trump on Jan 06" Trump says "Can't confirm 2024 run will have Pence as running mate" Gotta follow the current model, Mixed sex ticket, I don't think that any other line up will win the presidency in the near future.

Getting my coat, it looks like rain.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Trump won't be running in 2024, he'll be under indictment in Georgia and maybe New York as well. Might even be found guilty by then - if so I expect he'll flee to Russia before they can lock him up.

The republican party can't possibly be suicidal enough to allow their primary voters to put forth a candidate that 60% of overall voters in post 1/6 polling consider unfit for office. That number can only go up for him, there's no way to bring it down, he's burned his bridges with independent voters by supporting an insurrection.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>h a candidate that 60% of overall voters in post 1/6 polling consider unfit for office

If you allow those people to vote.

If the only valid voter ID is an NRA membership card and a confederate flag T-shirt, and the local "well regulated militia" get to check all the voters ....

2. spellucci

There's a long line of "The republican party can't possibly be suicidal enough" prognosticators who have been wrong over the last 5 years. I am not looking forward to the Republicans' next moves.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Well the problem was that in 2016 Trump won, so that validated throwing out their party beliefs in favor of a personality cult. Losing the house in 2018 and the senate and presidency in 2020 wasn't enough to change their mind. Maybe nominating Trump and losing in a historic landslide in 2024 will be necessary for them to see the light.

1. jake Silver badge

I don't think the current lot will ever "see the light". If they admit to even one of the myriad interlinked lies, the entire house of cards they have built up will come tumbling down.

I dunno 'bout you, but my mind boggles that ANYONE believes most of their bullshit ...

2. Stoneshop
      Boffin

Re: Not holding my breath

First it was a lifetime ban... then they had to rethink it, now it is 2 years,

Two years could well be lifetime for that orange overweight oaf, depending on his consumption of Big Mac and Cokes. Although there'll always be some tame quack who will use every chemical known to man to counter this and extend his existence.

1. Falmari Silver badge
        Joke

Quack "Mr Trump are you ready for your first life extending bleach injection?"

1. the Jim bloke
          Mushroom

If that doesnt do the job, how about a big can of bottled sunshine (see icon)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I feel that the chances of Donald Trump not living long enough to make the 2024 elections are underestimated.

What we know:

* He is a septuagenarian

* He is clinically obese

* He eats ill-advised quantities of junk food

* He believes some quack theory that exercise is bad for your health

* He has recovered from a fairly severe bout of Covid

And he is suspected:

* To be reliant on a cocktail of performance enhancing prescription drugs

* To be susceptible to quack medical theories and treatments

* To have anger management issues that increase his stress levels

* To be spending quite a few years battling various court cases

I wouldn’t put my money on his wealth being able to help him avoid some of the inevitable health problems that the above will cause.

1. jake Silver badge

You missed one: He cheats at golf.

I've heard that can be very bad for one's health.

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

"He cheats at golf. I've heard that can be very bad for one's health."

Depending on whom you are playing with cheating against. Some folks may be sore losers. I've heard of his golf outings and he probably actively avoids playing against those fair-minded yet violence-biased folks.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Depending on whom you are playing with cheating against

I do regret he never played against his buddy in N. Korea

A match where both won after sinking 18 holes in one

1. jake Silver badge

One of them would have started WWIII by claiming to have a round of 17 after one ball wound up in the cup with no strokes at all.

The other would have later claimed that their score-card was tampered with, because they had TWO holes without taking any strokes.

Both of their sycophants would have sworn on a stack of whatever they hold dearly that they were telling the truth, absolutely, it happened exactly the way they reported it.

The rest of the planet would yawn most expressively.

For amusement value, eyeball wiki's "Veracity of statements by Donald Trump".

2. the Jim bloke
          Alien

Problem with trump is that you cant believe anything he says - unless you choose to believe everything he says, which would require self-erasing memory to deal with the contradictions and any knowledge of existing facts..

So..

* He has recovered from a fairly severe bout of Covid

was this ever confirmed by an independent source?

He said he had it, he kept doing stuff, he said he got special drugs, and he said he got better...

At a time when he was downplaying the severity of the pandemic.

This is the man who gave us Fake News, and will continue to do so..

Big Brother

"Unless you choose to believe everything he says, which would require self-erasing memory to deal with the contradictions and any knowledge of existing facts."

'Murican Doublethink.

(Unless "doublethink" is universal enough to not need the prefix.)

3. DS999 Silver badge

Not to mention that's under a great deal of stress both financially and legally, and that will only get worse over the next three years.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
        Meh

I've been asking myself the same question for quite some time... How can this man NOT have a stroke??

I wish that were the case, but he'll probably be the one in his 90's getting interviewed and asked what he believes his longevity comes from... All those preservatives in all the McFood he ate!

3. Lars Silver badge
      Thumb Up

As the weird optimist I am I hope 2 years is indeed a lifetime ban, not that I want to reveal that on the internet, of course.

8. alain williams Silver badge

Two years, let me see ...

About 1.5 years before the next election, so time to re-enable the account if Trump is going to run for president ... which means that it might be expedient to suck up to him again.

9. TimMaher Silver badge
    Coat

My covfefe order.

Some of you may remember that it was stuck in Zeebrugge, awaiting customs clearance (Brexit of course).

Anyway, I have cancelled it.

May order again in a couple of years.

In the meantime, I am stockpiling popcorn.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good

The less I see and hear from the fetid fool, the better.

1. Tomato42
      Happy

Re: Good

I do want to hear about it for the last time though, that he was locked up in prison, broke, serving life sentence.

1. Stoneshop
        Pirate

Or his demise.

Just plain dead will do, but the more ignominious the better.

2. Blank Reg

I'd like to see him locked up and have to share a cell with his kids. There is probably no greater punishment than them all having to be together 24/7

I suspect that would fail the "cruel and unusual" test. On both counts.

1. Blank Reg

You're probably right, but in this case I think it's worth the effort to try and make it happen

11. Chris G

It's too quiet

I am beginning to miss the jaffa king, whenever he pulled a new idea or disaster out of his underwear, it was announced with a roll of drums and a blast of trumpets.

Difficult to miss and easy to criticise, it kept me entertained.

Biden is much lower profile by comparison and slides his deals out from under the table, no better than the orange one as he just seems to be a lacklustre follow on act and not as much fun to heckle.

1. TaabuTheCat

Re: It's too quiet

But that's just it, isn't it? Are you not entertained??

2. Marki Mark
      Thumb Up

Amble over to his website. Full of batshit crazy mutterings - much entertainment to be had :)

3. martinusher Silver badge

Speaking as an American I'm rather enjoying the peace and quiet. The Federal government has also been restaffed with relatively competent people rather than the relatives and insiders that were given free rein during the Orange Era. So quiet.....so boring.....so wonderful......

1. Korev Silver badge

Speaking as an American I'm rather enjoying the peace and quiet. The Federal government has also been restaffed with relatively competent people rather than the relatives and insiders that were given free rein during the Orange Era. So quiet.....so boring.....so wonderful......

Well, look no further than Britain to see our mini-Trump in action. The story of Dido Harding would be a good place to start

4. codejunky Silver badge

@Chris G

"Biden is much lower profile by comparison and slides his deals out from under the table, no better than the orange one as he just seems to be a lacklustre follow on act and not as much fun to heckle."

This is the difference between a polished politician and not a politician. Trump was very public and his detractors of course pushed things further, Biden is kept filtered and protected but even then when he publicly makes a fool of himself only the detractors push the failings.

12. Paul Herber Silver badge

I read that as

"Now that Trump is useless to Zoidberg"

Hey, we all like Zoidberg, doesn't everybody like Zoidberg? Oh.

13. skeptical i

Surprised he doesn't have a new teevee show

_The Apprentice_ seems, in my admittedly dim recollection of Trump's doings, to have been one of his more durable accomplishments (aside from the long-term damage his presidency wrought.)

Re: Surprised he doesn't have a new teevee show

Well, sure. Someone else was paying for it.

(We were all paying for it. Even those of us who avoided it like the plague it was.)

14. martinusher Silver badge

I think the 'usefulness' was accidental

Social media is one of those things that nobody quite knew what it was or how powerful it could be when it was first rolled out. Like other technologies, most notably "push" technology, the idea that you could drop software on peoples' computers, the potential for money making outshone the downsides, leaving a handful of naysayers, Luddites stuck in an old fashioned mindset, to warn that there were potential problems that needed to be addressed before the technology was widely deployed.

We're still living with the consequences of 'push' technology -- essentially the entire malware economy is built on it. We're only just beginning to understand the consequences of widespread social media use. Social media as practised by Facebook and the like is essentially a mass surveillance and mind control tool, one that is not only far more sophisticated than the sorts of tools depicted in "1984" but also has the advantage that the people managed by it also pay willingly for it. It was only a matter of time before wannabe demagogues discovered its true power; now we're in a world where you come across people who will tell you in all honesty that "2 plus 2 equals 5". Shutting a Trump down is not really addressing the problem -- he abused the tool not just to gain power but to incite a seditious mob (who, if you believe the apologists, were just confused tourists looking for the gift shop....). We're going to have to learn to live with this. (As for Zuckerberg and his ilk, now they realize this tool can be used to purchase the US presidency at a cut rate they'll probably want a bigger piece of the action in the future.)

15. Sanguma

Fired, schmired!!!

Fired, yes, but ... will he be glazed? Inquiring minds wants to know, precioussssssss!

Does anyone have any idea of what sort of glaze goes well with his natural artificial skin colour?

1. Rol

Re: Fired, schmired!!!

Smoked Red Herring Pate, perhaps?

Oh, with lasers of course.

The hope is, he'll be rejected by the Republican party as a candidate, and then use his goofball wealth to start up a new party and thus split the rabid dog vote, handing the Democrats the next election.

One hopes!

16. fredesmite2

How many porn stars did Jesus raw-dogged while his 3rd Euro Trash Tramp wife was in barn pregnant???

Notes from #BunkerBitchDonnie " rally " :

ME

ME

I

I

NO ONE BETTER

HOAX

TREATED SO BAD

TREATED WORSE THAN JESUS

Did I miss any ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many porn stars did Jesus raw-dogged while his 3rd Euro Trash Tramp wife ...

Notes from #BunkerBitchDonnie " rally " :

ME

ME

I

I

NO ONE BETTER

HOAX

TREATED SO BAD

TREATED WORSE THAN JESUS

Did I miss any ?

A few: "believe me", "many people are saying", "fake news". Now I think that's 90% of any of his utterances, so we can all be spared of having to pay any attention to the "previous guy".

17. Herbert Meyer

Lifetime ban

I banned myself from FB years ago, but I had to sign up again recently because my City was using FB to hold public meetings because of the pandemic. The City has removed the ban on public meetings, I will attend a meeting middle of the month, and come home and remove myself from FB again.

I prefer my lies the old fashioned way, face to face. That way, I can correct the speaker as vigorously as needed. Sometime a size 13 in the (bleep) is appropriate. Can't do that on FB.

Re: Lifetime ban

Maybe after an appropriate application of aforementioned size 13 they'll rush to re-implement FB meetings again to prevent a repeat performance of such repartee. Don't wear out your welcome!

18. Andrew Williams

Words to live by, if it’s a thing on social media… walk the other way, do not get involved. Engaging with lunatics never ever ends well for the non-lunatic.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a load of BS

They got Nick Clegg delivering this because as a former politician he is more fluent in BS than Zuck.

Trump simply moved from a profit generator to a massive risk because they things he were saying could have exposed FB directly to lawsuits as well as measures forcing it to police its content (read: extra costs). In addition, it lost a lot of marketing by association.

The only, and really the ONLY motivator to ban Trump was money, the rest is utter tripe. All this waffle about laws, ethics, "the good of humanity" et al is just hardcore BS.

Money was the only deciding factor.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disturbingn

I find it disturbing that those platforms ever get involved in political debates.

Whether to silence or allow any political person to voice anything.

It gives them some political weight they don't deserve.

Even if Trump is a complete dement and a huge risk to sanity and political stability and security, the platform shouldn't even have to take any action.

This is a symptom of our insane reliance on twitter and friends.

21. not.known@this.address

I welcome our new Social Media Overlords

and eagerly look forwards to them telling me who to vote for. Anyone they recommend will immediately be removed from my list of people to vote for, and anyone with a large amount of Upvotes or Likes (or whatever their equivalent system is) will go on the "think very carefully" list.

I find it rather amusing that so many commentards remark on the (alleged) stupidity of Social Media users then go on and say almost the exact same things as those Social Media users they have just been nasty about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like