back to article Tech scammer who fooled Cisco, Microsoft and Lenovo out of millions jailed for more than seven years

A scammer who convinced some of the world's biggest tech businesses to send him replacement kit has been sentenced to seven years and eight months in the US prison system. Justin David May, 31, used stolen hardware serial numbers, a plethora of fake websites and online identities, social engineering tactics, and a network of …

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Will the affected companies leave the existing warranty protocols in place, or will they tweak things further, like forensically analyzing photographs of purportedly faulty/broken equipment serial numbers?

Either way, the honest customer will suffer as there will now be extra hoops to jump through, as well as those who sit with the equipment whose serial numbers was used in this sort of scam...

Most probably you will be required to send in the faulty piece of kit/hardware in first for them to assess before they will send you out a replacement, causing long downtime issues.

2. tony72

Skills

I want some coaching from this guy. Getting companies to send out replacement kit under warranty in anything beyond the most clear-cut cases seems to generally be a painful and time-consuming process that I personally hate engaging in.

1. rcxb Silver badge

Re: Skills

You develop a higher tolerance for such hassles when you know you're getting good money out of it. Would you go sit in an office of cubicles all day if no-one was paying you to do so?

3. oiseau
    Facepalm

Just sayin' ...

Far from condoning Mr. May's actions, I cannot help but to feel sorry for the chap.

He was evidently careless/stupid, which lead to his finally being discovered, apprehended and sentenced.

To seven years in prison with the added bonus of a stern public condemnation from US attorneys office, no less. (!)

Makes me wonder just how many years the likes (*) of Mr. May, serving as board members ie: CEO, CFO, CIO, etc. at corporations such as Intel, Microsoft, Cisco, Lenovo, Hewlett Packard, Sun Microsystems, Dell (the list is long but you get the idea) should get for the countless millions of times they have, through dubious marketing, commercial or manufacturing practises, scam (and have scammed) their customers for collectively mind bending amounts of money.

Every year.

Just sayin' ...

O.

(*) a category of people or things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Just sayin' ...

Also, far from condoning his actions, some murderers get less time than what he has. Or people that commit GPH.

Funny how money can buy you long sentences.

4. FBee

Often the system doesn't work for VALID claims...

I've sent APC at least 75 claims for their infamous power strip recall involving more than 15,000,000 units. Despite following proper procedure involving taking/sending closeup scans of each unit, individually as determined by their cryptic serial numbering system to determine eligibility, we've received exactly ZERO replacements.

1. Marty McFly Silver badge
      Go

Re: Often the system doesn't work for VALID claims...

-Shrug- APC sent me several cases of power strips when I gave them my serial numbers. Replaced a bunch of scratch & dent kit that was still functional but was aging from use. No complaints.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Often the system doesn't work for VALID claims...

There's a good chance this guy is master sociopath who knows how to play and control people, as well as being a crook. When he gets out in 7 years, maybe he can open a straight business helping people like you. You could be his first customer - assuming you are still waiting.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

137 replacement hard drives worth $143,000

So each drive cost $1044 .... and that's not the one off price, they are purchased in bulk. One crime has created another ...

1. Muppet Boss

Re: 137 replacement hard drives worth $143,000

When they calculate the damage, they take the maximum possible undiscounted list prices no sane person or company would buy for. And of course the guy sold on Ebay for a tiny fraction of the stated amount. Same approach as when they report drug busts.

6. oiseau
    Facepalm

One crime has created another ...

Not really ...

Just highlighted one of the many pre-existing ones.

See above.

O.

7. Mark 85

The Canned Statement....

“Through the hard work and collaborative efforts of the FBI and IRS, this sentencing sends the message to those who seek to make a profit through fraud and deception, that this conduct bears significant consequences.”

I don't think the message sent is being received by the crims. Every case has the prosecutor saying the same thing. Maybe keel-hauling would send a stronger message?

8. Tempest
    Unhappy

Singapore? But, But, Everyone Knows We Are . . .

squeaky clean and honest . . . as long as you ignore the small matter of US$14,000,000 that CHOY, Hon-Tim of the Public Utilities Board collected from cable suppliers.

9. BillGatesOfHell

Scamming the scammers

You should assume any promise of warranty or support as lies with these companies. Shame they don't have the same quality of staff in support or manufacturing as they do in sales and legal.

10. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Happy

And, in a recent BOFH

I was reminded of a recent BOFH when I read this article...

11. tip pc Silver badge

Inflated costs of replacements

193 replacement drives costing $143k, no one pays list price for Cisco kit etc.

Why do they get away with such high numbers?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like