back to article BOFH: I'm so pleased to be on the call, Boss. No, of course this isn't a recording

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns "But you agreed to it!!!" the Boss snaps at us through the screen. (Since COVID he's really embraced the whole videoconferencing vibe as a way of avoiding leaving the comfort of his gas-operated chair.) "You said you'd do it on one of our Zoom meetings!" The problem with all those COVID …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    Angel

You can check-out any time you like.

But you can never leave!

2. Azamino
    Unhappy

90 days

I was going to say that Dave might not look so legendary when he has to leave Spain after 90 days ... but then it occurred to me that someone willing to pinch a bunch of laptops will probably not be too worried about ignoring immigration rules either.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: 90 days

Technically, the company sold him the ten laptops for 70p.

On the other hand, you'd think that if you were going to nick a bunch of kit you'd do something more impressive in scale than 10 laptops.

1. Unicornpiss
        Pint

"On the other hand, you'd think that if you were going to nick a bunch of kit you'd do something more impressive in scale than 10 laptops."

--True that, but a properly spec'd "high-end" laptop, such as an Alienware or Dell Precision can easily come in at over $6K USD, so that would be a nice nest egg, especially if you're planning on retiring to a country where the cost of living might be significantly lower. And I'm assuming this wouldn't be the first appropriation by "Dave."

1. Peter2 Silver badge
          Pirate

Still only $60k. $6million would be rather more worth it. ;)

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
            Holmes

Perhaps this is not Dave's first rodeo, and these 10 laptops were just the bit that put him over the top of his retirement target.

2. TRT Silver badge

For millions they’d definitely come after you and there would be no argument that it was a reasonable or understandable transaction. By the time they’ve consulted their lawyer and so on they’d have spent 60k.

2. steelpillow Silver badge
        Holmes

"On the other hand, you'd think that if you were going to nick a bunch of kit you'd do something more impressive in scale than 10 laptops."

Don't forget the vast amount of kit "posted to private addresses".

3. Jon 37

After re-reading, I think you're mistaken. There's two separate scams here.

The BOFH personally arranged for 10 high end laptops to be delivered directly to "the user" and then sold by the company for 70p.

The BOFH was surprised to hear that Dave has retired at the same time as a bunch of untracked laptops that had been delivered to Dave went missing. The number of laptops is not specified - it's however many they bought less the 20 that came back and the 10 that the BOFH bought. It's implied that it is a lot.

2. Chris G

Providing your paperwork, insurance and financials are correct, it is easy to get residency.

I know of at least half a dozen people who have done or are doing it here at the moment.

Don't forget, Dave has just retired.

The verb form of inventory is inventory.

Inventorise, even if it is spelled with an 's' is an Americanism and not an English word.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Alert

"Inventorise" is a goddamn abomination, no matter what dialect of English you speak.

1. TRT Silver badge

Somebody inventicated the word.

1. Stoneshop
            Headmaster

The abominatifification of languagineering.

1. Tom 7

What's wrong with verberising shit?

2. Unicornpiss
            Paris Hilton

Someone leveraged it to actionalize their paradigm.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What? It's a perfectly cromulent word.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As a 'Merican, I do sometimes wish the English would do a better job of administrating their language.

1. Huw L-D

Would be a piece of piss if you buggers stopped running away with bits of it and coming back with new versions of words without allowing us to slap you for it...

1. Marshalltown
            Devil

That's because you gave us "soccer" and then started slapping us about it every chance you get.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Gimp

"I do sometimes wish the English would do a better job of administrating their language."

The very fact that English is known as (the) lingua franca which is Latin for the language of the Franks should surely sound alarm bells in any civilised region of the planet.

I'm loving your use of the word administrating. You know exactly how to make my teeth itch, even whilst I pop out and mug another language for yet more words to add to our bulging ... err ... ooooh dictIONARY!

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    IT Angle

Duplicate Asset Tag numbers!

OK, Simon, where is the bug(listening device) placed in my office? We had the exact same thing, the supplies manager did this to us!! He ordered us metal sticker asset tags with Black text on Silver tags one year. Two years later, he ordered the same number range with Blue text on Silver tags! We have since purchased our own multipurpose label printer...

IT Icon because never send a boy to do a man's job!

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: Duplicate Asset Tag numbers!

Both HP and DELL are willing to sell you pre-labelled computers if you order enough of them.

All they need is the Logo, text and a number range.

They'll even email you a list of serial numbers and the corresponding asset tag as they ship them.

and those are slightly more secure than what your Dymo or Brother labelprinter can produce.

1. iron Silver badge

I used to sell labels (and more importantly the software to track them) to both companies. If you can get the labels they use to identify real vs counterfeit product go with HP, those things are amazing. Otherwise you're better off sourcing security labels yourself.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Both HP and DELL are willing to sell you pre-labelled computers if you order enough of them."

We do that too. It depends on the volume as to whether it's an extra or a "freebie" though.

3. zemm

They can also burn the asset number into BIOS so they are retrievable through software, or at least they used to. Back when I was a PFY in the days of Windows NT 4 the place I was working at had that. Of course we had 10000s of computers.

2. Chris G

When I was in charge of asset numbering the kit at several different companies, I used security labels on the outside of the kit and duplicated the number on the inside with an engraver.

If tracking tiles had existed then, I would have used those too.

1. skswales

Our MD once bought an engraver for this purpose. He tried it out on its case: 'Personnel Engraving Tool'

3. swm

At Xerox they wanted a metal asset tag on all capital equipment. They didn't know how to deal with a printed circuit card worth $5000 with no place for an asset tag.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

What's the problem? Drill 4 holes and get some rivets.

The asset registry doesn't specify if it's working or not.

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Heh.

They did that at Data General, too.

And we had the same problem...$1k software tool? Right, we'll bolt the tag to the floppy!

Tags had some kind of adhesive on the back and came with a little blue bean of solvent. After it had cured, they were a real bear to remove.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

Brilliant!

Excellent ideas for surviving zoom meetings there. Must start recording some footage, and learn to play guitar

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Brilliant!

Better indeed if you can't actually play the guitar.

2. Pen-y-gors

In the end I constructed a video loop of myself which had me blankly staring into the screen, nodding and "mmm-ing" randomly when people stopped talking.

I think you could make a fortune if you marketed that.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Where's the "buy it now" button?

Because now that it's so easy and convenient to have meetings by video, the morning starts with a forty minute meeting by the production managers, that always overruns. Then Quality control wants a meeting that is scheduled to take half an hour, actually takes twice that, but is only ever noted as being half an hour. Then rinse and repeat with HR. That's the first three hours of the day and zero actual work done. Then there's the time for doing work, unless Production and/or Quality have a (mostly imaginary) crisis, in which case it's back to the group meeting where everything must be examined in detail right now. Then it's lunch. Then it's another meeting with HR, this time some crap about how to be a better employee. They're currently promoting the Japanese idea of the 5S. It's sad that they feel the need to engage in cultural appropriation in order to get people to not organise their workspace like the municipal dump. Of course, my suggestion of other Japanese workplace ethics, such as throwing yourself off a roof when you've failed hard, did not go down so well. When that's done, there's maybe a half hour to do work until it's time for another group meeting with Quality to discuss what was done today and what would aid you in performing better. Then it's time to go home, having maybe (if we're lucky) done about forty five minutes of work and spent over six hours listening to people blather endlessly about stuff you don't give the faintest inkling of a shit about.

<sarcasm>I'm so sorry you are bored and miss interacting with other humans</sarcasm> but the biggest hindrance right now are these endless meetings, of which maybe 0.1% (like two minutes in a day) has anything to do with me, but it's obligatory for everybody to attend because you know that if participating was optional, you'd be staring at an empty screen.

1. Saint
          Facepalm

You didnt have my personal favorite in there, the meeting about having too many meetings and what can be done about it.

Normally at some point during the call we get the old chestnut that if we dont think we need to be contributing in the meeting or if its not beneficial to us, then we are fully empowered to drop off the call.

I'm still a bit confused as to why I got into trouble for dropping off that particular call, but havent made the same mistake since

2. doublelayer Silver badge

We need a campaign to refuse to turn our cameras on. I'll be on your call, but I'm not sending a feed of my face for no good reason. All the important stuff is spoken or on a shared screen. All the camera does is add to bandwidth usage and make it clearer when I'm multitasking.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=379oevm2fho

5. zapgadget
    Pint

BOFH is so good for my mental health.

I reckon a BOFH article is as good for me as a Friday lunchtime beer. Thanks El Reg

6. Pen-y-gors

Underwear?

Instead of an honest meeting where people admitted to watching TV in their underwear for the past 2 days,

Wearing underwear? How unnecessary.

1. Evil Scot
      Devil

Re: Underwear?

Aye.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SRSLY. I'll take "posting to The Register while wearing a Chewbacca robe" instead.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Whose underwear are we talking about?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Kim Kardasian’s. It’s not like she ever used them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bit too heavy on the gusset.

1. TRT Silver badge

Big Dave's gusset. Famous in the heavy construction industry.

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

The boss

Has figured out the connection between el-reg and the routine destruction of keyboards on a friday

Hence he got our IT gurus to block el-reg at the company firewall.... the bast

However, he does not realise he is dealing with a fiendishly cunning beast.... whos noticed that the new machine is controlled by a custom application running ontop of a XFCE linux installation... however.. the machine does not have internet connection... or didnt until someone plugged a USB lead into the port on the back and set his phone to 'tethered' mode, then rebooted said machine.

Minimise the control application and I have a desktop complete with browser to play with.

Although after reading the bit about Dave retiring, I now have to explain how a machine less than 14 days old has a keyboard that looks like its been in use 14 years.......

1. Zarno
      Pint

Re: The boss

"Although after reading the bit about Dave retiring, I now have to explain how a machine less than 14 days old has a keyboard that looks like its been in use 14 years......."

I'd go with "Localized environmental aqueous ingression testing and product accelerated lifecycle simulation."

Beer, for all the phones and laptops that have had a drink before us.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Stealing that line for future use ..

2. Giles C Silver badge

Most of us should have realised by now, stop reading the bofh, or anything by Dabbsy with liquids anywhere near the keyboard. It gets too expensive….

1. Huw L-D

ITYM "too much of a catalyst for ideas".

8. ShortLegs

Icing on a day off

BOFH, a day off, and a comment in the double digit range

Life is good

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I can't possibly do it as I'm spending most of my week writing off all the equipment people now don't want because it's been replaced by the gear we bought them over lockdown"

Better shred all that paper work. Oh, the original POs & invoices have already been shredded by Mission Control.

10. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Facepalm

"He's apparently moved to his daughter's place in Spain."

Missed the chance to say "Dave's not here, man"...

1. Dante Alighieri
      Coat

I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that

11. steelpillow Silver badge
    Megaphone

They stab it with their steely knives

but they just can't kill the BOFH

12. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sorry I'm late

However, it seems that once again the boss finds he is in a maze of twisty turny passages.

1. DavidRa

Re: Sorry I'm late

Is there any chance that some of them, or perhaps all of them, are... Alike?

13. Hot Diggity

Dave

Turns out to be Simon's middle name.

Coincidence?

1. bpfh

Re: Dave

When you are on zoom, nobody knows where you are…

14. earl grey
    Pint

so that's it then

thank you

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

familiar

"They believe that there's a serious discrepancy between the number of high value items bought and the number that have made their way back into the workplace."

Why does the above sound VERY familiar ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like