back to article Four women suing Google for pay discrimination just had their lawsuit upgraded to a $600m class action

A lawsuit spearheaded by four female Google ex-employees claiming the ad giant pays men higher wages for doing the same job was granted class-action status this week. On Thursday, Judge Andrew Cheng of the Superior Court of California in San Francisco, said [PDF] the plaintiffs – Kelly Ellis, Holly Pease, Kelli Wisuri, and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Google can get away with paying women less than men for the same job...

...why are there any men working there at all?

Doesn't seem like sound business sense to me!

1. Dinanziame Silver badge
      Angel

Re: If Google can get away with paying women less than men for the same job...

The women might accept the lower salaries, but there are too few of them applying to fill all positions. Note that Google also sued for discriminating against men when hiring. Then again, they also got sued in a third lawsuit for discriminating against women.

Considering they have over 100k employees, they have plenty of opportunities to discriminate against a lot of people...

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

Considering they have over 100k employees

that's where the arguments for/against it being systemic come in. With that many employees, you would think the law of averages would compensate for, let's say, a lack of women in the sales force who aren't on "the sales ladder" track [or whatever they called it] but throughout the REST of the company it's "ok" [let's say].

Having ONLY MEN on the "sales force" track is compelling enough, at least for that part of the business, but if they made up for it (or explained it well enough, like 'too few applicants' etc.), then Google might have a defense against "this one case" with the promise to "handle it internally" and avoid the class action penalties, i.e. "The rest of the business is 'ok'" or "move along nothing to see here." That's the best outcome for Google I'd think.

However, past performance suggests that they DO have systemic promotion-related (and other) discrimination problems, as indicated by some of the other claims mentioned in the article, as well as past lawsuits, etc..

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Devil

I suspect 85% of any payout will be consumed in legal bills. Lawyers will make out like bandits in this case. No one else.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Doesn't seem like sound business sense to me!

Wow! So bigotry is irrational?! Who knew?

2. RobThBay
    Flame

It's Hedley Lamar, not Hedi....

This icon was the closest to a blazing saddle I could find.

1. JWLong

Sounds like.......

Google got their nodes on a Rock Ridge now.

2. NATTtrash
      Headmaster

"It's Hedley Lamar, not Hedi...."

Well, understandable...

Were probably subconsciously thinking of Hedy Lamarr (Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler), great movie star, inventor, and the mother of frequency hopping in modern wifi/ Bluetooth. Another great female contribution not recognised...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IIRC there's an exhibit describing Hedy Lamarr's radio work at the museum in Bletchley Park, so not entirely unrecognised.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

as I recall, she thought of piano chords and that's how she came up with the idea of spread spectrum modulation. Or something like that.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

She's recognised in this house ...

... my WLAN SSID is "Thank you, Hedy Lamarr!"

3. Tom 7

I dunno, there are sometimes posts whizzing round Farcebook claiming she actually invented WiFi.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

Something's not right

"even though she helped other employees pass technical interviews to get onto more senior technical positions, managers told her she 'lacked technical ability' "

Sorry, if you're using someone to review technical interviews, you cannot say that they are lacking in technical ability. That would mean that you are the idiot using people lacking in technical ability to conduct technical interviews.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Something's not right

On the other hand, I've been asked to interview people trying to get hired to positions higher than mine... The process for getting promoted to a position is very different than the one for getting hired there.

4. davenewman

To put a stop to sex discrimination, just condemn the bosses who discriminated against the opposite sex to a forced sex change operation. Then they will have other things than company profits on their minds.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4 women just lost the chance of any reasonable compensation. Class action results in the people wronged being shafted again as the costs skyrocket and so it’s all eaten by the lawyers.

1. Falmari Silver badge

Class action who's choice?

@AC "4 women just lost the chance of any reasonable compensation. " I agree

Do the people suing have a choice do they have to accept it being a class action or can they continue as a non-class action case?

Who asked for class action status the four women suing their lawyers or is class action status something the judge can just assign?

If the four women suing did not ask for it then either their lawyers are not acting in their clients’ best interests or the judge is doing them a disservice.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Agreed. If they joined a union this could probably be settled without the courts.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. JakeMS
    Trollface

The United Sues of America

Somebody is always suing someone else in America for some reason or another.

It gets to the point where it's not really news any more.

America, the land of the lawyers.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Boy named Sue

In other NEWS, men form a class action to litigate over the clearly sexist term “sue”….

9. a_yank_lurker

Silly Valley Ethics and Morals

As a grey beard, it appears to me the underlying problem is an overall lack of ethics and morals in Silly Valley as many are in court being sued for discrimination, unlawful firing, etc. If you try to treat everyone the same and with dignity and respect many of these suits will disappear, the aggrieved not aggrieved. Often the suits reflect there is pervasive mistreatment of staff by manglement as only a fraction who could will sue. The fact that enough people have a decent enough case to make this far should be a wake up call to manglement. The question is not the existence of a suit but number and scope of the suits. Some suits will be dubious attempts to 'get even' but there will be some that are genuine and point to more pervasive problem. As the number of suits increases the more likely any given suit is legitimate.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Silly Valley Ethics and Morals

But the other side is equally true: it's easier to claim discrimination than it is to up your tech skills. I'm not saying that these founders are saints (they most definitely are not), but the validity of the claims needs to be carefully scrutinized.

In the 80's, the big thing was redlining: the claim that banks were refusing to lend in certain zip codes because they were "too black" or some such. The problem is that if this were the case, it would be easy to set up a bank targeting lending to such an area--it should clean up, right? Or, you know, hold press conferences, organize demonstrations, pass federal laws & regulations.....

This is the same. You ever see or hear about some late-stage startup proclaiming that it's going to hire all those underemployed women? No? It that because *each* and *every* startup is headed by nasty men? Sure....

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Silly Valley Ethics and Morals

Having payed attention to how Silly Valley treats employees I am not surprised they end up in employment lawsuits.

10. Claptrap314 Silver badge

I said it before

and I'll say it again. I was at Google 2015-2016. This lawsuit, especially as a class action, is total ********. Google obsessed over hiring & promotion. It came up in every vaguely casual conversation. It was usually the first topic of a causal conversation with a manager. They actively ran experiments on the process. One of the things that they specifically worried over was that women were underpaid or under-compensated.

On day, someone actually ran the numbers. Oops. Women were paid slightly more than the equivalent male counterparts. Which was only a surprise to people who don't understand bounded random walks.

One of the differences between men and women is that men value their income more, while women value quality of life more. The implications don't make for easy sloganeering.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

Re: I said it before

They have >100k employees, which is easily enough to have some women who were treated unfairly. It's even enough to have a few pockets were women are systematically treated unfairly, despite all the ostensible efforts from the top to root out issues.

So it's well possible that these women have grounds for complaining how they were treated, but it's a very different question to claim that the issues are company-wide... And I would assume that the company have carefully documented their efforts.

Google might still decide to settle just to make the lawsuit go away, though. It's often cheaper than paying the lawyers.

Re: I said it before

When I was there, it was 50K, but your points remain.

11. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Apocalypse

Four Horsemen[Horsewomen] of the apocalypse[class action]

If only it were the apocalypse - Google will just throw lawyers at it

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skills? Anyone?

Maybe I read it to fast, but the plaintiffs seem to base their case in comparing educational degrees and seniority over actual skills or performance descriptions (not just marks).

If as an entrepreneur (will be in 2 months) I am forced to value more seniority and degrees over actual skills I see myself doomed to fail.

13. BOFH in Training

Assuming that it is true that females are getting underpaid in google or even tech in general, then there is less reason for females to join the tech industry.

Hasn't there been some articles talking about how there are so few females in tech?

If it's true, then there is serious money to be made by targeting those underpaid females.

14. NicX

Paid less....again?

I don't doubt there are women paid less than men.

But I want to see & compare qualifications. I want to see & compare skill sets. Show me why you think you deserve to be paid as much as the next person, male or female.

You might have the same job title, but your higher paid coworker may have 5 years of experience and a degree you don't know about, so they asked for more and got it based on those qualifications. If you don't have the 5 years of experience and the degree, you don't get paid as much. That isn't discrimination, sexism, etc. That's common sense and standard business practices.

I've hired and fired many people. I negotiate salary explicitly based on your education and prior experience. I don't give a fook what's between your legs. If a guy comes in with the extra experience, he's going to get paid more than the woman. If the woman comes in with extra experience, she gets paid more. It's really, really basic stuff.

And it seems time and time again, when we see these cases, the men tend to be much more qualified than the women not being paid the same. I am not going to pay someone with 5 years of experience the same rate that I'll pay someone with 10.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Paid less....again?

@NicX

"But I want to see & compare qualifications. I want to see & compare skill sets. Show me why you think you deserve to be paid as much as the next person, male or female."

The scary thing I see with demands for the same pay for the same job is how qualifications are assumed to put you on a level peg as someone else. 2 people as you say can have the same qualifications but different skill sets.

Although sometimes it really just is someone being a dick

15. ExampleOne

A 600 million dollar, one off payment, problem goes away, deal strikes me as a bargain for Google if they genuinely are guilty of systemic gender discrimination.

Why? Because defending each and every one of those cases after the first couple is going to be vastly more expensive.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Experience, and pay ladders; will we see an age discrimination class action next week ?

With all this talk of ladders, and experience (Length of service) based pay, rather than performance, and responsibility; I suspect a few lawyers will already be Googling for the most expensive consumer items they can buy on this old interweb, in advance of an age discrimination, class action.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like