back to article Unfixable Apple M1 chip bug enables cross-process chatter, breaking OS security model

Apple's Arm-based M1 chip, much ballyhooed for its performance, contains a design flaw that can be exploited to allow different processes to quietly communicate with one another, in violation of operating system security principles. M1RACLES, as the bug has been called, doesn't pose a major security risk because information …

1. Falmari Silver badge
    Joke

Major security risk

“M1RACLES, as the bug has been called, doesn't pose a major security risk because information leakage is already possible through a variety of other side channels.”

I never knew you could reduce the security risk of a bug by introducing and/or finding more bugs that leak the same data.

So how many bugs must be added to reduce a major security risk down to a minor security risk.

Only jesting I got what was meant.

1. Ropewash

Re: Major security risk

With enough bugs all bugs are shallow.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"I never knew you could reduce the security risk of a bug by introducing and/or finding more bugs that leak the same data."

Same principle as in the UK we "only" have a few thousand CV19 infections each day, and we're all home-free, good to ignore the virus. Whereas in Australia you have 10 cases and get a 7 day lockdown.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Difference is, the UK is rapidly approaching the point of herd immunity (induced by mass vaccination), whereas Australia is a sitting duck if it starts getting a foothold and running out of control.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Difference is that the UK have killed off 130 thousand people by not locking down until far too late, and Australia haven't even got to one thousand yet.

That's what rapid, short, lockdowns can acheive.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

...or the fact that Australia is so spread apart that they have social distancing built in and the UK we don't because we're quite densely populated. Especially cities like Liverpool.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Whilst Australia as a whole might be sparsely populated from a statistics point of view, it's also one of the highest urbanised countries in the World, with most of the population ~90% living in just a few cities and large towns, mainly in a rather narrow band around the coast.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

It would be difficult to cut the UK off in the same way that Australia and New Zealand were able to.

What percentage of their food arrives on roll on roll off ferries or a tunnel ever few hours?

Sure we could have cut off all links, but then instead of dying of cv19 we'd died of starvation.

Not saying that our load of useless bloody morons aren't useless bloody morons, but what is possible in one place is not always possible in others.

I wonder whether any government anywhere managed a good response to all the different aspects dealing with a disaster like this.

There is a wide gulf between "close all the borders completely" and "actually implement a quarantine"

Yes, we'd still need food (and other) deliveries, but it is technically possible to switch trailers between trucks (not easy in terms of space, but technically possible) such that even the haulage doesn't need to present a significant ingress route.

What we actually did was open our borders completely, stop any checks at them and not bother with quarantine at all (and as far as I can tell we still don't have anything approaching quarantine).

We're an island, and should have been able to take advantage of that fact. We didn't - at all. We didn't even try to.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

National population density is only tangentially related to virus transmission. Anyone to whom this is not immediately obvious should probably refrain from volunteering their views about how and why Covid19 response has varied from one country to another.

2. DM2012

The 5 months we spent in lockdown last year didn't feel particularly short. Depends on your PoV.

Sent from my M1 Macbook in the centre of Melbourne on day 1 of Melbourne lockdown 4.0

Given that I've been locked down since early March last year, that's 15 months so far.

OK - In the last 8 months I have left the house to exercise outdoors on my own - but the previous seven I left the house for three shielded blood testing clinics.

So yes - 5 months feels pretty short to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"the UK is rapidly approaching the point of herd immunity (induced by mass vaccination)"

Working on the basis of the "Indian variant" and Pfizer/Moderna's effectiveness, a vaccination rate of just under 90% *with both doses* is needed (one dose is 33% effective, 2 doses is ~87% effective).

The UK currently has just under 45% of the population having had both doses, so its' some way off.

Note that the numbers are more forgiving with the "Kent variant".

The formula is: Vaccination Level Required = (1− 1/Reproduction Rate [R]) / Vaccine Efficacy

1. JDPower666

Your one dose efficacy number is way off, latest studies suggest it's upwards of 65%

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596

(from Monday 24th May) reports that, for the Pfizer and Astrazeneca vaccines, "both vaccines were only 33% effective against the Indian variant three weeks after the first dose."

After 2 doses:

"The Pfizer vaccine was found to be 88% effective at stopping symptomatic disease from the Indian variant two weeks after the second dose, compared with 93% effectiveness against the Kent variant.

The AstraZeneca jab was 60% effective against the Indian variant, compared with 66% against the Kent variant."

Do you have a link to the later studies?

1. JDPower666
                Facepalm

Oh so you were basing your whole calculation on one vaccine against one variant and extrapolating that out to a whole country with multiple variants and vaccines? Great work.

Do try to keep up - "Both vaccines...."

And the trick is to realise that with "Pile the corpses high" de pfeffel in charge the indian variant, due to the increased transmission, will rapidly become the dominant form,

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Using two vaccines and the most dangerous variant makes sense. If you protect enough for a less dangerous variant, it will not be enough for the most dangerous one. So do the math on the most dangerous one both from vaccine resistance and health outcomes unless one of these situations apply:

1. There are so many different dangerous variants that protecting against the most dangerous will still result in a large risk from other ones, in which case the numbers are even worse.

2. The plan is to prevent that most dangerous variant from getting in at all. If that succeeds, then you don't need to create immunity to it, but that opportunity has already passed for the UK.

3. iron Silver badge

You are Matt Hancock and I claim my £50.

4. John Doe 12

I keep visiting The Register in the hope of gaining NERD immunity ;-)

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Come play with us.

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

You're in the comments section so you already have a high exposure to REG-NerD-21

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah but they don't need a vaccine. They've got a Donk.

Also, Mick Dundee runs the covid policies in Australia.

That's not a lockdown...that's a lockdown.

He's currently luring it out into the bush to take it on in his own territory.

It sounds stupid. But it's better than the Steve Irwin protocol of dangling meat in front of the virus and waiting it for it to strike before capturing it.

6. dave 93

Are you trying to say that vaccines won't work in Australia? If so, you're wrong. Did you vote for brexit as well?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

"Are you trying to say that vaccines won't work in Australia?"

No, of course they're not. Here's what they said:

"Difference is, the UK is rapidly approaching the point of herd immunity (induced by mass vaccination), whereas Australia is a sitting duck if it starts getting a foothold and running out of control."

The degree to which they're at or near herd immunity is disputed, but the point about Australia is that the UK has given about 63 million jabs and Australia has given about 4 million. If the virus were to spread a lot in Australia, its people would have a lot less protection due to vaccinations. Fortunately, Australia has already gotten quarantines working pretty well, so that probably won't happen, but the point about differential vaccination rates is valid.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

They work, but you have to receive them standing on your head.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Holy crap, that danluu.com site is fascinating. There goes my weekend!

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Just opened tabs for all the interesting sounding article. Excellent timing that Victoria just went back into lockdown. I'll need that time!

2. Joe W Silver badge

Now that's a website non-design I can appreciate! No nonsense, no mobification with ginormous tiles that cover the whole screen and make you scroll down several pages to find information, no stupid java script, nothing!

I like the website already. Without reading any articles.... (I'll get to that later, security research counts as work ;) )

1. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

"a website non-design I can appreciate"

Did we look at the same website?

With serif fonts? And variable width too?

I had to look twice before realising I wasn't looking at Rio's Gay Pride official website...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"With serif fonts? And variable width too?"

If you have a problem with the fonts, then that's your fault for not changing the defaults in your own browser. The site doesn't specify any fonts. It barely sets any styling at all.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I went there a while back to read something – linked from some other page I was reading, though I don't recall what the source was, or why it was linking to Luu's "Static and dynamic languages literature review". My browser remembers I was there, though.

Just skimmed that article again, and I do appreciate how Luu picks at the methodological and data-hygiene issues in the papers he's reviewing, rather than simply accepting their claims (as many people seem to do, on the rare occasions that anyone cites any research at all).

3. Ace2 Silver badge

iOS vs macOS

iOS has the whole sandbox thing which can be escaped, but also has app store review etc.

But aren’t macOS processes allowed to communicate as they please anyway?

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: iOS vs macOS

Yes they are, but anyone looking for malicious apps communicating in standard ways (sockets, IPC, etc) wouldn't ordinarily be worried about apps accessing the s3_5_c15_c10_1 register.

Now they will be!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeh they will be...

"The cross-talk isn't particularly fast... a bit more than 1MB/s."

So 8388609 bps?

1MB/s is fast enough to collect just about anything in less than 1 second. It's not like an attacker will be going for your daily blog channel video at 1MB/s (but they can now go for it's credentials numerous times over).

The bit-bang will never die!

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

MacOS processes can communicate with each other. iOS processes have official ways to communicate if they are created by the same development team (which usually means by the same company).

Now this vulnerability means two apps who want to communicate with each other can do so. Which means for damage you need two pieces of malware, created by different development teams, which somehow can achieve something bad if they cooperate which each individual couldn't do.

4. JWLong

Just goes to show

That no matter how much you polish a turd, it still stinks!

Keep buying that shiny folks.

1. tubedogg

Re: Just goes to show

You are so right! That's why nobody should buy Intel or AMD processors, either, because of Spectre and Meltdown, obviously. I'm glad we're on the same page.

So what processors would you suggest, exactly?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not processes, he'd like to go back to quills and parchment.

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Can I keep my typewriter, or is that too prone to mechanical interference/tampering? (1951 or -52 Remington Rand Super-Riter; all levers and rods, no 'leccy. It's a heavy beast.)

P.S. Someone messed with the ink vial when you weren't looking -- the quill has been hacked!

2. JWLong

A fuck'n Z80.

You may notice that zilog never made obscene claims of security. It never worried about it because the standardization of SHIT, which is what is manufactured by everyone today, hadn't happened.

New shit coming off the line and it's got fuck all holes all through it.

Keep buying it boys and girls and they will continue to make it just for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Keep buying it boys and girls and they will continue to make it just for you."

Promises, promises... they said that about Lawn Darts and Quaaludes.

I also miss: mercury thermometers, "Ohio Blue Tip Matches", cars without computers, REAL Bicycle playing cards, ... wow, I could just keep going... and going... and going... (I miss that bunny too :-(

5. vtcodger Silver badge

T1 - anyone?

"The cross-talk isn't particularly fast – data transfer rate is said to be a bit more than 1MB/s."

By way of comparison, if I am to believe the all knowing internet, a T1 line from your local phone company will deliver about 1.544MB/s (and -- in the US -- cost about $200 a month). Two thirds of a T1 doesn't sound all that slow to me. And I suspect that many rural users here in North America still don't have connection speeds anywhere near that fast once they try to connect to the world at large.

If this channel is an actual security threat, I should think that the OS would have little trouble monitoring it and screaming should the bits involved start changing. But maybe I'm overlooking something. I often don't do all that well with complexity.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: T1 - anyone?

Good grief, and I thought internet was expensive here!

1MB/s = 8Mbit/s

The cheapest tarrif I could find (ok, didn't search all that much) was 16Mbit/s (down) and 2.4Mbit/s up at 35€. For upload speeds matching this one you need to pay 5€ more/month, resulting in 50Mbit down and 10Mbit/s up.

Or am I missing something?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Here in the Netherlands, I can get 30Mb (up&down) for €31/month. I can get 1Gb up and down for €40/month. But we have fiber at the house.

1. SteveCarr

New Zealand - at least where I live - 1Gb up/down for under NZ$100, no data limits at all.

2. vtcodger Silver badge

Are you suggesting, sir, that I confused Mega-bits per second with Mega Bytes per second? You're correct. I did exactly that. T1 is 1.544 megaBITS per second. Not MegaBYTES per second.

And in response to a question down thread. Do people still use T1 in North America? I would imagine that some do. It's not like there are a lot of choices. Various forms of DSL may be able to deliver a fair number of MBPS at a reasonable cost -- if you are located within a few km of a phone company Central Office. Most rural users aren't. If you're further out and are beyond the reach of cable TV, your choices would seem to be whatever you can get from the phone company at probably extortionate prices, possibly wireless at probably extortionate pricing after you get by the dubiously honest advertising, high latency satellite. And Starlink once it gets going.

1. Joe W Silver badge

No, I was not thinking about that - I was really worried I'd mix them up though!

So... Yeah, thanks for educating me on the problems of rural Internet access. Where I'm living I can get 100Mbit/s, easily. Not sure about the cheapest prices for that, I don't even know what my provider charges for the current contract.

I should go and compare prices, I guess.

My place is in the rural US and we have fiber to the premises, run by our electric co-op.

3. VicMortimer Silver badge

You're missing something. A T1 is a legacy connection, the telcos don't want to provide it. There's no up/down split, it's the same speed both directions. And it comes with various regulated service level obligations. Also, it's not 1.54MB/s, it's 1.54Mb/s. They're very uncommon now. The legacy 2Mb/s E1 is the rough equivalent in Europe.

The cheapest connection here is a $10/month 25Mb/s connection, not sure what the up speed is. Yes, that's a government subsidized low income price, but it's real and not uncommon.

In many places in the US, gigabit is available for about $100/month.

Prices and speeds vary wildly depending on where you live, cities tend to have better connectivity and lower prices, rural areas may have limited options.

The last T1 I personally dealt with was just shut down a few years ago, it was put in a few years before that because it's a regulated service that the telco had no choice but to install to the middle of nowhere, and having it installed accomplished the goal, it forced the telco to upgrade equipment and DSL became available not long after.

1. EnviableOne

E1-> E3 -> EFM -> FTTP

2. Mishak Silver badge

Does anyone still use a T1? I guess it's a bit like business here (UK) that still use managed ethernet connections for £far-too-many a month when they can now get a 1000/1000 fibre connection for a lot less.

1. iron Silver badge

Not everywhere can get fibre or even ADSL in the UK. A former employer of mine was still using ISDN in some remote offices a couple of years go because it was all that was available. The ISDN shutdown caused them lots of problems.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"makes a bad situation a little bit worse"...

...could easily apply to the article itself:

From the FAQ on m1racles.com :

"So what's the point of this website?

Poking fun at how ridiculous infosec clickbait vulnerability reporting has become lately. Just because it has a flashy website or it makes the news doesn't mean you need to care."

7. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Bandwidth is typically expressed in bits/s. So Mb/s if it's megabits per second.

1MB/s would be 8Mb/s.

8Mb/s isn't a low bandwidth for "tapping". Not sure why anyone would claim that?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, no.

In 2015, Microsoft senior engineer Dan Luu predicted a greater number of hardware bugs as chips become more complex and as production timelines get compressed due to competition.

IMHO, those issues still pale into significance compared to the bugs in software..

1. John Riddoch

Re: Well, no.

Yes and no... software bugs are more widespread and usually easier to exploit, but they're also considerably easier to patch over. Hardware bugs can be difficult to impossible to work around; I don't think there's a comprehensive set of fixes for all the SPECTRE & MELTDOWN issues yet, at least not without obliterating CPU performance.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Well, no.

There's no sign that a "comprehensive" fix for microarchitectural side channels will ever come. For one thing, researchers keep finding new ones.

Generating and discarding information has physical consequences. It's very difficult to mask all signals from those consequences.

(By the way, I quite like OP's "pale into significance".)

9. I Am Spartacus
    Holmes

Te bug is real but can it be exploited

If I understand this correctly, two co-operating processes can communicated over a hardware side-channel. The speed that this happens at is, frankly, irrelevant The fact that it happens is the real worry.

However, if this is on IoS you have to either get the app from the app store, or jail break the iPhone/iPad. If you jailbreak it then you're very much on your own. If its apps from the app store then you are downloading compromised applications. If you have a compromised app then I am not sure whether the CPU bug matters at all, given that you have, however inadvertently, downloaded something nefarious.

On an iMac or MacBook (and I am in the market for a new M1 MacBook, so this does matter!) then the problem is more serious. You can download apps from anywhere.

There is no saving grace (not even, there are so many other points of intrusion that this doesn't matter). Nor that similar problems plague Intel and AMD.

Re: Te bug is real but can it be exploited

On an iMac or MacBook, unprivileged processes already have plenty of side channels.

This is an interesting architectural mistake. It's hard to see how it introduces a plausible new threat.

Martin makes all of these points on his site.

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Te bug is real but can it be exploited

You need two malicious apps actually. An app cannot spy on another app with this, but receive data that is being sent intentionally.

10. Jusme

So...

...two (or more) processes that are running code I control can communicate with each other, but because this is done through an inefficient/unintended/undocumented feature it somehow "breaks the OS security model"?

I'm not big on MacOS, but I would assume it provides shared store/sockets/pipes, and possibly other methods of proper IPC, between co-operating processes?

Yes, malware could use it as an unofficial/untracked channel, but at the point where you have code doing that you've got much bigger problems already.

1. Julz

Re: So...

Indeed. Not to mention calling home for instructions and other less obvious channels.

If a process or processes are running on your system intent on mischief there really isn't much you can do to stop them. In fact, in my experience many processes seem to do mischief without any malign intent by their creators.

Re: So...

As Martin explains, at length, on his site.

11. You aint sin me, roit
    Holmes

Rule 0 of secure programming..

"We'll never need that, might as well take it out" will always come back to bite you in the arse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rule 0 of secure programming..

""We'll never need that, might as well take it out" will always come back to bite you in the arse."

Especially when, as seems to have happened here, the architectural geniuses doing the decision making didn't understand why the design was what it originally was.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"designers" are busy designing things to keep the folks running the sales department happy and meet their demands - maybe the sales folks thought this was a feature not a bug originally?

2. runt row raggy

there are quite a number of security bugs caused by unnecessary things left in.

12. Cynic_999

Easy to protect against

All that is required is to install a separate background application that is always running and changes the relevant bits of that register reasonably often. This will alter the register in between the times the two communicating applications use it, so destroying their pseudo-clock and resulting in corrupt data. Such an application would be very small (just a few bytes of code), easy to write and have insignificant impact on system performance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Easy to protect against

Sounds like DARPA's Morpheus chip design.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/323107-new-morpheus-cpu-design-defeats-hundreds-of-hackers-in-darpa-tests

2. doublelayer Silver badge

It depends how often you want to thrash those bits. If you flip them randomly every 0.5 seconds, that means the channel is corrupted once in every 512 KB transferred. If the applications use packets and checksum them, they can figure that out and retransmit. You would probably have to flip them a lot more often to block the channel, but then you might see some performance degradation.

1. Cynic_999

It would only take 2 or 3 instruction cycles to flip the bits. With a CPU running at 100's of MHz clock speeds, you could flip them at the rate of 10000 times per second with negligible performance degradation.

Still not difficult for the communicating apps to correct for this with modern codes.

More importantly, it's irrelevant. There's no need to do this. Martin goes into this at length.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

So what happened to "Intel Sucks!!! Apple's M1 FTW!!!"

Not so sure anymore?

Here's a few excuses to try out, see if they work:

- Yeah, but it can't be exploited.

- Yeah, but even if it's exploitable no-one has yet.

- Yeah, but transfer rate. Nobody wants to exfiltrate passwords or keys at 1MB/sec.

- Yeah, but it's Apple! Apple is flawless and magical!

1. ThomH

Re: So what happened to "Intel Sucks!!! Apple's M1 FTW!!!"

The same thing that happened to "Wow, Tom H is the coolest! He's the king of the world!" and all other statements that nobody has ever actually uttered.

Knowing one of the specific flaws in the M1 doesn't change the general parameters, any more than knowing one (or many) of the specific flaws in macOS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

> [ ... ] and all other statements that nobody has ever actually uttered.

Oooooh, really?

I clearly remember many commentards here swooning over how amazing the M1 chip was, how it should be in servers and not just on laptops, how super-fantastic it will be now that we have a pointless Linux port to it, with a user-installed base of 9, and how the M1 doesn't suffer from all of Intel's leakage and exfiltration problems. Because Amazing and Secure M1 is. Woo-Hoo!

Yeah, turns out they swooned too soon. What a surprise.

Spin it away, mate. I'm aiming for at least five furious replies from you.

Oh, yeah, and it's a totally easy fix in the M2. You already know that.

1. ThomH

I clearly remember many commentards here swooning over how ... the M1 doesn't suffer from all of Intel's leakage and exfiltration problems. Because Amazing and Secure M1 is. Woo-Hoo!

This is neither a leakage nor an exfiltration problem (and it doesn't fit the other things I edited out either). I think the original researcher has been pretty thorough in his write-up:

So you're telling me I shouldn't worry?

Yes.

What, really?

Really, nobody's going to actually find a nefarious use for this flaw in practical circumstances.

If this bug doesn't matter, why did you go through all the trouble of putting this site and the demo together?

Honestly, I just wanted to play Bad Apple!! over an M1 vulnerability. You have to admit that's kind of cool.

So playing the playground brands-as-tribes game isn't really valid here; it's leaping on a single idiotic error of Apple's and pretending that it's both idiotic and consequential. By luck it isn't. But nothing about this vulnerability makes Intel look good. Especially not in a world with AMD.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Devil

> Really, nobody's going to actually find a nefarious use for this flaw in practical circumstances.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Right. Nobody's gonna do that. Because people are nice and they don't do this kind of stuff. And because no-one has any interest in exploiting this vulnerability. And because AppStore.

"A malicious pair of cooperating processes may build a robust channel out of this two-bit state, by using a clock-and-data protocol (e.g. one side writes 1x to send data, the other side writes 00 to request the next bit)," explains Hector Martin, founder and project lead of Ashai Linux, in his vulnerability disclosure. "This allows the processes to exchange an arbitrary amount of data, bound only by CPU overhead."

You seem to believe that those interested in exploiting this vulnerability are all just a bunch of amateur boobs.

From the looks of it, this looks worse than Intel's Spectre. At least Spectre can be mitigated by disabling SpecEx - at a significant performance cost. This M1 hole can't be mitigated.

Pull the other one, and leave Intel out of it. This has nothing to do with Intel.

Mandatory Disclaimer: I don't work at Intel.

1. ThomH

The disclosing security researcher said:

Really, nobody's going to actually find a nefarious use for this flaw in practical circumstances.

You said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Right.

I think he's available on Twitter if you really want to argue with him.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> I think he's available on Twitter if you really want to argue with him.

I don't need to argue with the researcher. And I don't have a Twitter account.

What the Linux M1 port guy described about the vulnerability is sufficient and perfectly clear. And I am quite familiar with the AArch64 ISA to understand exactly what this vulnerability means in real life terms.

Anyone who claims that it doesn't matter, or that it can't be exploited, is full of BS.

2. jtaylor

Nobody's gonna do that. Because people are nice and they don't do this kind of stuff.

This exploit doesn't obviously offer anything that can't already be accomplished better using the methods normally available to userland processes.

You seem to believe that those interested in exploiting this vulnerability are all just a bunch of amateur boobs.

It has not yet been demonstrated that this exploit has practical use.

From the looks of it, this looks worse than Intel's Spectre.

Spectre permits access to protected kernel memory. It can be used to escape a jail or VM. This exploit permits passing messages between userland processes where the OS already provides easy and effective ways to do so.

leave Intel out of it.

Hey, that was you.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Facepalm

> This exploit doesn't obviously offer anything that can't already be accomplished better using the methods normally available to userland processes.

Really?

Can (hypothetical) userland pid_t 1538 read from some other (hypothetical) userland pid_t 7996's address space?

I'll answer that for you: no it can't and it shouldn't. That's what privilege separation enforces.

What M1's vulnerability does is: it tosses away this separation. Why don't you read the description of the vulnerability in the article, again:

"A malicious pair of cooperating processes may build a robust channel out of this two-bit state, by using a clock-and-data protocol (e.g. one side writes 1x to send data, the other side writes 00 to request the next bit)," explains Hector Martin, founder and project lead of Ashai Linux, in his vulnerability disclosure. "This allows the processes to exchange an arbitrary amount of data, bound only by CPU overhead."

Is this so difficult to understand?

Separate and disjoint processes that should normally share nothing can now read each other's data.

That is exactly what Spectre was all about - albeit by a less idiotic mechanism - and everyone freaked out about Spectre. But hey, when Apple does a much bigger idiocy of the same category, it's cool. Not problem, nothing to see, move along, everything's fine.

> Hey, that was you.

No that wasn't me. That was the ThomH fanboi: But nothing about this vulnerability makes Intel look good. Especially not in a world with AMD.

1. jtaylor

"Why don't you read the description of the vulnerability in the article, again: "A malicious pair of cooperating processes may build a robust channel..." Is this so difficult to understand?."

I wouldn't think so. It's all there in the first 6 words.

"Separate and disjoint processes that should normally share nothing can now read each other's data."

Possibly, but not because of this exploit. You're not distinguishing between "A malicious pair of cooperating processes" cooperatively passing data (as you would through IPC, temp file, etc) and a single hostile process reading the soul of the kernel.

"leave Intel out of it." "No that wasn't me."

It's literally the fifth word in the title you chose for this thread. I'm starting to smell troll.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

> Possibly, but not because of this exploit. You're not distinguishing between "A malicious pair of cooperating processes" cooperatively passing data (as you would through IPC, temp file, etc) and a single hostile process reading the soul of the kernel.

Either:

- You are too ignorant to understand what you just wrote.

- You are too stupid to understand this vulnerability, or how privilege and address space separation work.

- You are arguing in bad faith.

Either way, you are a waste of my time.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. ThomH

It sounds like an easy hardware fix

That is, for the M2 or M1X or whatever, with no obvious detriment — whereas the cost of mitigating e.g. Spectre seems to be performance.

Although given what I imagine to be the lead times on CPU manufacture, maybe the 2022 processor is more likely?

16. Sparkus

Good thing the M1X

is waiting in the wings to obsolete the first-gen M1 gear..........

17. JBowler

Hum, so now crackers can go full multi-process

Yeah! Rather than crudely drop their code into one single process now they can multi-task the cracker job across many processes communicating via the newly discovered communication channel. Of course they only need to do this if they can't touch anything else in the system, like the file system, or the disk, or create named IP sockets or send messages to the innernet, or the clipboard or the, what's it called, dbus thingy, or udev or the screen outside their own window, if, indeed, they have one.

Or they could just say, "Whatever" and simply create a single multi-threaded process. Oops, time for a CVE. Crackers can create multiple threads!!!! AAARGH, we'll all dead.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Hum, so now crackers can go full multi-process against criminally negligent practices?

Yeah! Rather than crudely drop their code into one single process now they can multi-task the cracker job across many processes communicating via the newly discovered communication channel. ...... JBowler

Yes, it's typical Apple. Another novel innovative feature introduced and floated out into the market place space either missed or destined to be popularly dissed by competitors because there is increased deep advantage delivered with familiar use covertly and clandestinely into intelligence flows and information mainstreams.

Now that would describe and introduce much more a "hot" chip than "floored" processor ....... and gravely to be regarded by competitors unequipped with the utility and facility of its abilities.

Such a realisation/spin on discoveries has one wondering what improvements and refinements will be available with future iterations in the likes of an M1X, ad infinitum to M1XSSXXXX ..... with more than just a dedicated few always ready and eager to purchase and beta test hidden crown jewelled Fabergé easter egged models for that great deal extra supplied not conveniently catered for by anyone else anywhere else ...... until or unless the competition ups its game and gets its acts together to improve on the advantage rather than battle against it with wilful and ineffective opposition.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hum, so now crackers can go full multi-process against criminally negligent practices?

Why is it I always feel there is a hidden message in amanfromMars1's ramblings/nonsense?

Why is it I always feel there is a hidden message in amanfromMars1's ramblings/nonsense? .... Anonymous Coward

Does it help you, AC, to know and realise they're more prognostications ‽ .

1. Citizen of Nowhere

>Does it help you, AC, to know and realise they're more prognostications discombobulations

FTFY AMFM ;-)

FTFY AMFM ;-) ..... Citizen of Nowhere

:-) Methinks more you've got yourself into a fix and a bind, because you are not understanding, Citizen of Nowhere.

Can we initially for now agree at least upon disambiguations until such times as everything becomes evidently clearer? Such can move things on a great deal better and considerably faster in strange territory never experienced alive before.

Re: Hum, so now crackers can go full multi-process

All of which is pointed out by Martin on his site.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More importantly...

...is there a logo?

1. Monty Cantsin

Re: More importantly...

There bloody well is!

https://m1racles.com/

19. gnasher729 Silver badge

Worst case

Here’s the worst case that I can think of: You have a server with multiple users, all properly separated, with no internet connection, so even malware couldn’t spill any secrets.

One of the users is malicious and _has_ an internet connection. The other users run apps that are not protected from each other. If I can install malware on one user’s account, that malware can transmit any data to the malicious user, and the malicious user can send it to a server.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like