back to article We’ve found them! Govt reinstates records previously missing from the Police National Computer

Around three weeks late — a fairly good result for anything to do with the UK government's Home Office IT — technology professionals have been able to recover all of the 413,000 records of evidence deleted from the Police National Computer (PNC) in January this year. Kit Malthouse, minister for crime and policing, said in a …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well, the data was recovered

That is a good thing. It demonstrates that there is some functional backup system that can be relied on, with a bit of coaxing.

It is still to be hoped that a better backup procedure can be implemented, because restoring data in more than a quarter of a year is not exactly a stellar performance.

1. james 68

Re: Well, the data was recovered

Assuming that there was a backup. The time delay might suggest that there wasn't and they had to rely upon forensic prodding of the drives that contained the data.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Assuming that there was a backup

Or they just re-arrested them

2. Chris G

The back up was probably a pendrive somebody found down the back of a bus seat.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

That's where my pendrive went.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's probably why it took so much time - so many trains and buses to look through to find enough USB pendrives to reconstruct most of the data..

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Unless your back up solution is written to understand your database application, restoring individual records in a database is usually not a trivial exercise. It's not like you're picking a couple of files from a filesystem backup. You're going to have all sorts of referential integrity pointers that you're going to have to re-setup as you re-insert the data back into the system.

In short: Databases can be big & complex beasts. You only truly value your local DBA once you f**k up and they pull you out of the hole you've dug yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Facepalm

Or they don't value it at all, because "you did it before, so surely it'll be easier this time"

Yes, I've had too many calls along the lines of "I've deleted this thing that I shouldn't have deleted"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Angel

But the DBA will surely get an printed certificate or maybe even Employee of the Month. What kind of value were you expecting?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok.

Please can they now find the files they lost when Theresa May was in charge?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... Now that we know they can be recovered...

How do we know they'll ever be deleted from now on?

(considering after 2 years the records are supposed to be removed, say for where you get arrested but released without charge..)

Anon because you can figure out how I'm aware of that specific example...

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: So... Now that we know they can be recovered...

Yes, but now they all have new timestamps, so they can illegally hold onto information even longer.

4. fedoraman

DROP TABLE CRIMS

Note to all Forces - Do Not re-arrest Little Bobby Tables.

5. PerlyKing
    Happy

Who, me?

There should be a good one in a little while :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have they checked the Guardian today.....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/25/gchqs-mass-data-sharing-violated-right-to-privacy-court-rules

.....to see if the restored records are actually being held legally?

Just saying!

7. Mike 137 Silver badge

"the police had read all the recommendations and were responding to them"

They're not alone. "Reading the report and responding to it" is about as far as any organisation seems to go in the aftermath of a balls-up. The effectiveness of the response never gets scrutinised, and judging by the general record over the last couple of decades, it's typically pretty ineffectual.

8. Wolfclaw

Lord Hogan-Howe, that's OK then guaranteed an accurate, non-whitewashed above board investigation NOT !!

9. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Depends whose data

Pity they had no back-ups of all those boarding cards....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was Fujitsu wot dun it!

Good to see Fujitsu working to ensure genuine criminals are arrested and charged ... for a change.

11. staringatclouds
    Coat

Manual insertion

“Over 99 per cent of the data deleted from the PNC was recovered within the previously announced timeline. The remaining records required manual insertion into the PNC ..."

As we all know this is a completely error free & accurate process :eyeroll:

I wonder who now has a record who didn't have one before & who did but hasn't now

Buttle/Tuttle anyone ?

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Manual insertion

Has anyone been watching the home Secretary's latest police raids? It wouldn't surprise me by this point if you need to sign in triplicate to acknowledge you've been arrested.

On a side note, does anyone know a good plumber?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon