back to article Beijing bashes Bing and lashes LinkedIn over improper data collection and storage

After receiving complaints from users, the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) has ordered 105 apps to stop improperly collecting and using people's personal data. Among the listed 105 apps are Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, TikTok itself, Chinese video-sharing app Kuaishou, music streaming service Kugou, plus …

1. Shadow Systems

Hit them! Hit them hard! =-D

Repeatedly. Enthusiasticly. With gusto! I volunteer to do speed metal drum solos on their heads! =-D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Hit them! Hit them hard! =-D

Sounds like good fun. I'll volunteer to smash guitars into their kneecaps and maybe we can find some more cowbell to stick where the sun don't shine.

2. Giles C Silver badge

So if they are forced to limit data collection in China, what are the chances they will adopt the same policy worldwide?

I am not holding my breath though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Vote for the CCP stooge in your local election, and with a bit of luck, they'll have to!

(https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/122094310/jian-yang-the-national-mp-who-admitted-to-training-chinese-spies-retiring)

3. Ashto5

V Scary

First it was the Americans putting demands on other countries to follow its own rules

Now we have China doing the same

And American IT rollover like puppies

They chase the dollar and the yen and don’t care who gets hurt along the way

Americans chasing the dollar never saw the rise of China and now as they slip into subservience to China laws they go blindly still chasing the dollar

And so goes liberty ...

1. JDPower666
      Facepalm

Re: V Scary

So stopping multimillion pound companies from scooping up citizen's personal details is a LOSS of liberty?

1. Jason Hindle

"So stopping multimillion pound companies from scooping up citizen's personal details is a LOSS of liberty?"

Something I've ruminated* over quite a bit, of late. It is in point of fact a perfectly healthy LOSS of liberty. For the companies in question 8-D.

2. and I

If they're chasing the $ and the ¥ then China is not the place to be... The currency of the PRC is the RMB or Yuan, not the Yen, that's Japan.

4. beep54
    Meh

Wait

Bing and Linkedin are still being used by some? For some reason? I think China might have the right idea here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait

Linkedin *claim* 30m members in the UK

Erm... UK population of around 70m, less kids and crusties, so that's just about every single possible worker and job-seeker signed up... except you and me

(their 'stats' are weird... either that or they believe every thing their members tell them... CEO, yup... £1bn a year, yup)

5. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Big Brother

I feel dirty for liking something the otherwise-appalling Chinese government is doing.

1. MacroRodent
      Holmes

They don't want competitors

The Chinese governement just wants to make sure it is the only one collecting information on the Chinese.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember when Azure AD was sending details of who worked with whom to Facebook? Good times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like