back to article Internet Explorer downgraded to 'Walking Dead' status as Microsoft sets date for demise

As of June 15, 2022, Microsoft will retire its Internet Explorer 11 desktop application for certain versions of Windows 10. A Windows Experience post delivered the news as follows: Today, we are at the next stage of that journey: we are announcing that the future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge. The …

1. Red Ted
    Go

I’ll start digging the grave

Bring a shovel and form an orderly queue!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I’ll start digging the grave

This should be interesting. Where I work, the Oracle System will only let you log in when you want to generate a requisition if you do so with IE. It won't let you do so with Chrome, Edge or Firefox.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

That's not unknown and is all down to moron developers trying to pretend that a web browser was a modal system application and when they found that it wasn't behaving as one they insisted on going down the Internet Explorer only ActiveX route to try and bodge it further into being one. Still didn't do that, but they successfully and very idiotically tied what should have been just a web application/page to a specific web browser.

2. Danny 14

gemalto bacs 2FA cards still needs IE, a travesty really.

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Thumb Up

And everyone else can get their dancing shoes ready...

2. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Can I have the first dance?

Goodbye Internet Exploder, you won't be missed.

3. hammarbtyp

Lets nuke it from space, its the only way to make sure

IE has probably caused me more work over the years to maintain browser compatibility. The only reason it will be missed is that there are still some sites that only seem to work properly in IE, so it was an unwelcome, but important tool. It was basically the dog pooh bag of the world. You didn't want to have it, using it was messy, but it was a bit better than the alternative

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

You can say the same about Chrome now.

Some sites only work properly with it as the idiot designers don't test anything else, and it comes with Google's prying eyes screwing privacy as well. Not to mention Google using its near-monopoly ability to push through changes that no one really needs beyond Google's own agenda (idiot-brain things like activeX USB and native file system access, for example).

Meet the new bossbrowser, same as the old bossbrowser...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You just described all the rubbish from Atlassian.

4. Binraider Silver badge

That's great. Now, how about the many application vendors stuck in IE update their stuff to work in anything that actually is supported?

I'm particularly thinking of SAP, that mandatory corporate app that doesn't play nice (at least not in the implementation I'm subjected to) with anything but IE.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I have one application like that, will only work with ie. Because it's old and other browsers are too secure.

Forcing that change won't be a bad thing.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Forcing that change won't be a bad thing."

You better hope that it gets an update before it's too late.

2. batfink

Exactly this.

The PHB's in charge of buying corporate apps never seem to check what browser(s) they're happy with, and whether that actually conforms to any of the other corporate apps.

I currently run Edge, IE, Chrome and Firefox on my work machine in order to make various individual corporate apps work properly.

And we're a technology company.

5. RyokuMas
    Mushroom

Really? Really???

"And seek them they did: Chrome now enjoys over 60 per cent market share..."

Surely if it were just a case of "seeking" then surely the market shares of Chome, Firefox and other browsers would be much closer to each other?

Or is the runaway success of Chrome something to do with Google plastering great big "Download Chrome!" calls to action in very visible locations on their search landing and results pages???

Once again, Google abusing their monopoly on web search to undercut their competitors, just like the numerous adverts for Pixel phones on Youtube videos...

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Really? Really???

Yup have to agree, even now Google will say get a better browser when browsing on even other chromium based browsers

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Really? Really???

The "runaway success of Chrome" has to do with Mozilla turning their browser into a useless steaming pile.

The main job for Firefox developers today seems to be removing features that they apparently find too complex to understand and support.

6. roblightbody

Why don't Microsoft just restrict IE to intranet-only sites. This would help with all the old corporate systems that still need it, but aren't actually a security risk because they're just internal.

1. Swiss Anton

Any businesses that still have to use IE probably have much nastier things to worry about than a flaky browser.

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

Edge's IE mode is just Internet explorer running in an Edge tab, so while you won't be able to directly run IE after MS remove it from Windows 10. Its still there lurking on your PC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't Edge now just a Chome skin?

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Presumably running in a VM at least?

3. ITMA Silver badge

IF you can get it to work at all.

Followed the instructions on Mickysoft's Internet Explorer Mode support page:

1. The setting mentioned doesn't exist.

2. Going to More Tools and there is NO "Reopen in Internet Explorer Mode".

Spectacular fail.

1. ITMA Silver badge

Intriguing....

Two different machines, both running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Both running 20H2, OS Build 19042.985.

Both running Edge Version 90.0.818.62 (Official build) (64-bit)

One has the "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" under Default Browser in Edge Settings, one doesn't.

The one that does has "Reload in Internet Explorer mode" under More Tools, the other doesn't.

Both have a Microsoft 365 account associated, neither has Edge as the default browser and neither has syncing turned on.

Both claim to be up to date on Edge version and WIndows updates.,

Well done Mickysoft. Can't even be consistent.

8. Admiral Grace Hopper

It makes sense

It's always good practise to get rid of redundant cruft. Now MS only have one inadequate browser to support.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: It makes sense

>It's always good practise to get rid of redundant cruft.

Trouble is that whilst I've installed Edge and manually changed my default browser, I'm still surprised at just how much Windows still insists on firing up IE when I okay "Open in web browser".

Perhaps MS need to remove IE from the code base for Win10 starting 21H1 and let their in-house developers feel the pain.

1. J27

You can remove IE from the add/remove Windows components feature, new installs also don't include it by default.

1. EnviableOne

still breaks a lot of things though

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still Prevalent Within the NHS

Many major clinical systems in the NHS still require IE. I'm quite sure that this date, much like EOL for Windows XP and 7, will be ignored, then come as a surprise when it happens. At best that will necessitate a knee jerk reaction to hire expensive contract resource to purge it from the estate, at worst it will be another Wannacry. Either way nobody will take responsibility, and the purchasing of new technical debt will continue to line up the next disaster.

1. hopkinse

Re: Still Prevalent Within the NHS

Edge with IE-requiring URLs whitelisted is the way forward, then they will still effectively be running in IE 11

10. babydave

Still a requirement for migrating to office 365

Well. The last couple of migrations from on-prem ad/exchange to an office 365 domain required me to use Internet explorer as part of that process. Otherwise it would not have been possible no matter what I tried via Edge or Chrome. This is on 2012R2 and Server 2008R2 too. So even Microsoft themselves are still getting it wrong never mind third party systems!

11. Shadow Systems

I love it when they say my browser isn't secure enough...

...and promptly tell me to turn on JavaScript for security. JS for security is like stripping naked for privacy.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: I love it when they say my browser isn't secure enough...

> stripping naked for privacy.

Worked for the Invisible Man.

-A.

12. 0laf
    Flame

Yeah easy to forget about at home but there is a pile of legacy crap out there that won't work on anything but IE (half of it probably still demands IE6).

Lots of very large companies make some very big and expensive products which they spend fuck all on development to keep up to date with current dependencies.

Basically screw the customers, it's their risk to run old bit of crap on their networks even if our critical software demands it.

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Who is going to pay to upgrade the software? Yes, if you have a large market and spend nothing on development then perhaps you should be criticised, but not if there's no income to do so.

However, IE is still fully supported for now, and the engine will continue to be fully supported.

If I think of the products at work which require IE they are without exception older highly custom products that have massive diversions from modern baseline products. Their product is still secure and functional.

If IE support was dropped completely I know the action would be to force the older customers on to modern baseline products. They would lose their historic customisations. When you don't make enough money from a customer to fund substantial improvements and the customisations wouldn't help anyone else, the customer is likely to walk away due to loss of functionality. It's a lose/lose for all parties.

13. a_yank_lurker

Imbecile Explorer

The Rejects of Redmond are finally putting Imbecile Explorer out of its misery much to the joy anyone but a PHB.

14. fidodogbreath

I-EEEEEEEEE

Fear the Walking Dead.

15. captain veg Silver badge

fewer than

> According to StatCounter fewer than one per cent of of browser users still bother with IE

No.

It's "fewer than" strictly for countable quantities, i.e integers. Percentages can (and do) have a fractional part. So less than, not fewer..

-A.

16. Lucy in the Sky (with Diamonds)

Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)

I guess, I will maintain a version of Windows that will still have Internet Explorer, the only browser with access to the iLO cards in the HP servers. And the D@hua security camera systems. A lot of stuff that is in use, and will be in use for quite some time only works in IE.

Once FireFox starts to provide the option to access insecure legacy stuff, I will say goodbye to IE, but until then, even though I do not use it for browsing, it is a mission critical tool for day to day tasks.

17. CJ Hinke

There goes the third world

This is going to hit my country--Thailand--hard. Every govt service is based on IE. I suspect it's the samev for most third world countries. Of course, none of these 'services' are actually functional! Every govt employee refers one to their Hotmail address. WTF, eh!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like