back to article What you need to know from today's Google IO: Chatty AI, collab tools, TPU v4 chips, quantum computing

Google today opened its developer conference, the aptly named Google IO, with a somber nod to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic from Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai. "In some places, people are beginning to live their lives again as cases decline. Other places like Brazil and my home country of India are going through their most …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

"Google intends to expand access to Project Starline to healthcare and media partners"

Sorry, but all the alerts go off when reading that.

Google is the last company I want accessing my medical records.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Google intends to expand access to Project Starline to healthcare and media partners"

Really? Palantir already do.

2. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: "Google intends to expand access to Project Starline to healthcare and media partners"

Calm down dear, your knee is jerking again. It's a video conferencing unit, it clearly has nothing to do with medical records.

Did you actually look at the project starline webpage? I have to say, from what I can see there it's f*ing amazing. Start the cloying-looking video at the bottom of the page, choke back your urge to vomit and skip and skip to 35s in - the camera pans behind the persons head, and you can see the change in perspective on the projected person's head.

Genuinely impressive technology, and I don't say that very often. All that's missing are the technical details - how deep is the unit? How much power does it use? When can I get one for me and one for my parents?

2. TReko

A Woke Clippy?

I don't want Google Docs "changing the word "Chairman" to "Chairperson" to "avoid a gendered term.""

Let people type what they want to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Woke Clippy?

Please, what is this the 90s? The diminutive term "Clippy" is dismissive and patronizing, they prefer "Clippoid" as "Clipperson" is too anthrocentric.

Yeah, like the tragic jean choices this year, all that is old is new again. Which is to say shovel whatever you had in the back of the warehouse out as we were collectively driven to distraction over the last year.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Woke Clippy?

Are they going to change the terms midwife, fishwife or postman to some alternative groupthink?

This is a bit 1984 ish.

Next they will be editing documents which are political - never mention tiananmen....

Oh they likely do in some countries.....

3. Danny Boyd

Great, another tech thing that sounds like 'lambda'

I read it as 'lambada' and thought: "How true!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon