back to article On eve of national industrial ballot, BT, EE, Openreach agree to temporarily suspend compulsory redundancies

BT has halted all compulsory redundancies on the eve of a national ballot for strike action across the group, the telco and union CWU today confirmed. It follows 15 days of strikes waged by a small band of engineers in Openreach. The unrest was caused by BT's multi-year programme to save £1.5bn in annual operating costs, …

1. Oh Matron!

Which balls?

"Gavin Patterson, who was recently linked with the ill-fated European Super League. His successor, Philip Jansen, picked up the ball and ran with it. "

Last time I saw, there was no picking up of balls in Football.

1. firefly

Re: Which balls?

I think some chap called Webb-Ellis did it once and got away with it.

2. TRT Silver badge

Re: Which balls?

Own goal keeper can.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Facepalm

The other way they're saving money

Simply don't sufficiently train the engineers, then when they don't fix faults you can log it as "no fault found" and charge the customer (CP, who pass on the charge to their customer).

Or, as happened in our case, don't find a fault, blame the customer kit, then do what the client asked for (rebuild the FTTP circuit), and finally claim that you've done nothing (technically she didn't do anything, the lady on the other end of the phone did it for her) and attempt to charge for it.

I know that's not a new problem, but the standard of new openreach 'engineers' has definitely fallen. It always used to be just management that were incompetent.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Meh

Re: The other way they're saving money

Round our way, Openbreach has outsourced its cabinet poking to a third party.

Don’t know if that is better or worse really.

Always worrying when you see one of their vans, or a Vegan media one, parked up near one of the local cabs.

2. Jason Hindle

Used to be a lot of ex military engineers (former bomb disposal engineer did our first FTTC install - now he *could* work a cabinet while blindfolded) but they can move on quickly if they're smart. Standards have definitely dropped!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was at BT for a bit and they were changing their recruitment policy to no longer require a STEM background because the intakes weren't diverse enough.

I recognise the problem but never felt that this was the right way to fix it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

log it as "no fault found"

Going back more years than I care to remember (Over 30 at least) when I was a BT employee they had 2 classifications for faults that weren't able to be resolved because they 'went away'.

Right When Tested - Engineer never observed the fault so no further action.

Fault Not Found - Engineer observed the fault but it cleared during investigation. Make notes on what was observed and action taken during investigation in case it happens again.

Just posting this as it came back to me reading AC's post and I felt a bit nostalgic.

It always seemed a sensible system to me. Whether people used it correctly or cared about fixing things, that another story...

3. djstardust

Hmmm

Maybe theiryearly compulsory 3.9% plus CPI increase will pay to keep the staff on?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT Digital Wing?

Jeezus how many more times are they going to try and branch out into IT services before firing everyone and giving up? I can think of at least 3 since the 90's.

Who on earth would want to work for BT's IT arm, your job is safe only until the next CEO walks in and fires you all.

BT is still struggling with being just a pile corroding wires and a pensions blackhole - probably another 30 years before that problem is over too.

5. Nifty Silver badge

A strike. how quaint! Whenever I hear about a strike I smell a monopoly.

Yours, a (real) private sector worker.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah if the answer to "we can save £1.5bn" isn't "no you can't", but instead, "you probably can, so we're all going to not let you try" then that's not great.

6. Warm Braw

Pre-tax profit has fallen since fiscal 2016

Just what you'd expect from a regulated monopoly.

If they want to create a new business to "sell more tech and data services", Ofcom should be making sure the investment comes from shareholders and isn't extracted from the infrastructure business.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did or does BT actually make money on the crazy numbers they spent on football broadcasting rights?

Or is all this cost cutting trying recoup for those footballer mansions and their billionaire owners’ yachts ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like