back to article Another week, another issue: Virgin Galactic mulls test flight restart as VSS Unity fixed – but VMS Eve might be borked

Virgin Galactic reckons it has dealt with an electromagnetic interference (EMI) problem that aborted a recent test flight just as another technical gremlin rears its head. The news came during a Q1 investor call following the announcement of a $130m loss, down from the $377m loss for the same time last year. Mike Moses, …

1. Chris G

Sending the wealthy to space

Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Sending the wealthy to space

Yes, but do we have to bring them back?

1. Gordon 10
        Joke

They can (space)walk back.

2. Gary Stewart

I think when we are confronted with moral dilemmas like this we should always remember the wisdom of the late great Douglas Adams:

"Well not, not, not so much land in fact, I think as far as I can remember we're programmed to, er crash on it."

Well played sir, well played.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

I picture Herman Judd's dead body orbiting around his luxury spaceship, Avenue 5, as it is broken down in space.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not unexpected

After all, Richard Branson has a past history of dealing with EMI!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"he expected demand to be so great"

Sorry Richard, there may be quite a few millionnaires on this planet, but even so, I'd wager there are also quite a few that prefer to continue benefitting from their status and not risk getting presented before the Pearly Gates ahead of time.

1. Boothy

Re: "he expected demand to be so great"

This time last year, apparently around 8,000 people had put down deposits for a VG flight, and in recent articles, a figure of 600 has been quoted of people who've actually bought tickets so far.

The new VSS Imagine ship (the first SpaceShip III class ship), seats 6 passengers, VG plans to build a 2nd one of these (no dates yet as far as I know).

They have stated they plan do about 400 flights per year (eventually), although I assume they at least need the 2nd ship for this, and will likely start much slower.

So you're probably looking at at least a year or two to clear those initial 600 ticket holders, then an additional 3+ years for the ~8000 deposit holders, assuming they manage to ramp up to the proposed 400 flights of course. (and that all 8,000 actually go through with it of course).

And that's with static numbers, presumably ticket sales will kick off again once flights are going. I also suspect many people who are interested in a flight, likely want to wait a while for the tech to prove itself, so won't have put down a deposit yet.

Assuming they achieve and stick to 400 flights a year, and the 6 seat configuration, that's 2,400 people each year buying a ticket to sustain those flight numbers. The US alone produces over 600k new millionaires per year, so there's no shortage of people who are going to be able to afford it.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I assume they at least need the 2nd ship for this"

With a large B painted on the side.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Virgin Galactic was founded in 2004 and has not managed even one flight into orbit yet.

They're not doing 400 per year anytime soon.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

They aren't planning on going to orbit at all with these flights. They'd need a whole new carrier aircraft and launch vehicle for that. They only promise to get you above 100KM for a few minutes so you can call yourself an astronaut.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The US alone produces over 600k new millionaires per year, so there's no shortage of people who are going to be able to afford it."

I think you need to be a bit more than a mere millionaire if you want to spunk possibly half your net worth on a single short trip. Then again, plenty of people used to pay for those "experience" flights on Concord, even it was much more affordable.

1. Boothy

Quote: "The three-day Virgin Galactic Experience costs US$250,000 per astronaut and includes all training, required clothing, accommodation, food and beverages. International and domestic flights within the US and transfers are extra."

So 'only' 25% of their net worth, unless the price goes up of course :-)

Also, just a guess, but I'd assume that whilst some new millionaires have got there over many years by putting money aside, investing etc. A lot of them are going to be high earners, running their own companies etc.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Ah, thanks, my mistake. I was sure I'd read 500K somewhere.

4. Anomalous Cowturd
    Mushroom

unintended feedback... generated EMI.

So they fitted a diode, and wrapped it in tinfoil?

Can someone remind me when this thing was originally planned to fly?

Rocket science is pretty much all done, rocket engineering, not so much.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: originally planned to fly

Test flights (of SpaceShipOne) were planned and carried out earlier (2003) but the earliest date I can find that involves passengers going to over 80km altitude in a SpaceShipTwo is when Branson hoped (no hint of a promise) he would fly before the end of 2009.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Re: originally planned to fly

But he's trying. And he clearly makes far more money than he needs for this project.

I for one wish him well.

5. imanidiot Silver badge
    Facepalm

Really?

As in, Holy friggin hell! REALLY?? They didn't expect inductive feedback from actuators? Who are the clowns designing this? That's mechatronics 101. EVERY actuator has some form of feedback. If your control system can't handle it, it'll shit the bed (as demonstrated). This certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the design and testing process as VG. Have they even heard of DFMEA? CDRs? 4-eyes principles?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only

we (including myself) had not bought Tubular Bells". We would not have had so much to laugh at. Is this thing ever going to do anything other than not work properly?

7. steelpillow Silver badge
    Boffin

90% lower

That's one order of magnitude or, if I recall correctly, around 10 dB. In EMC terms that kind of margin is more of a just-squeak-through than anything to boast about. Hope they keep an eye on it, as anything as simple as the cable harness sagging under high gee could potentially bring the problem back.

1. adam 40 Silver badge

Re: 90% lower

20dB, but that's splitting hairs.

You're quite right, it's not enough, probably, for a good safety margin.

8. steamnut

EMI?

I'm surprised that a major failure was deemed to be caused by an EMI failure. After such a long time in development, the electronics should be bulletproof. At this time it is the software that should be under close scrutiny.

The fact that this fault happened at all would put me off from booking a place as I would question what other areas have been overlooked and did they cut corners?

1. steelpillow Silver badge

Re: EMI?

Full-system EMC tests on a rig like this are a horrendous exercise. Having gone through all that for the initial build, nobody wanted to do it all again. They probably just ran it through a standard EMC test into a dummy load, and then slapped it in the spaceplane.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EMI?

> I'm surprised that a major failure was deemed to be caused by an EMI failure. After such a long time in development, the electronics should be bulletproof. At this time it is the software that should be under close scrutiny.

AFAIC tell from the article there was no "major failure" - the software correctly detected that the hardware was giving odd feedback and aborted the launch. This is no different to a traditional vertical launch rocket having its countdown aborted because something unusual is detected.

9. s. pam Silver badge
    Pint

Another Beardie epic fail??

you gotta hand it to Beardie and his fundraising ability to have loads of projects that fail.

Brunel would be amazed the wind direction of suckage around after his demise...

10. Pete 2 Silver badge

Double trouble

> dealt with an electromagnetic interference (EMI) problem that aborted a recent test flight just as another technical gremlin rears its head.

I suppose they could always ask Boing for some advice?

11. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Meanwhile Voyager just keeps on going, using 1970s technology.

1. Stoneshop
      Go

Faster and farther than Branson's crafts will ever go.

12. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

I'm a Millionaire, Get Me Back To Earth!

New reality TV show

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like