back to article App Tracking: Apps plead for users to press allow, but 85% of Apple iOS consumers are not opting in

Mobile app analytics company Flurry is measuring how many users of iOS 14.5 are opting in to allow apps to request to track them - and so far only 15 per cent worldwide have done so. iOS 14.5 was released on April 26 and is gradually rolling out to users with compatible iOS devices. One of its new features is enforcement of …

1. Oh Matron!

Jog On....

Had an app that didn't get me any options than "allow"

Got deleted immediately. Even the AppleTV apps have started asking.

Good ridence

2. werdsmith Silver badge

100% choose ask app not to track.

Adverts that are selected as more relevant to me? Don't care, I ignore all adverts.

3. Mishak Silver badge

May not be directly related...

But I wish something could be done about the ads on YouTube - 8 minute videos with three or four ad slots. Really?

I did look at a family subscription, but that's £18 a month, which is more than Netflix or the like (which has professionally-produced content)!

I used to tolerate the occasional ad, but I just ignore them totally these days as the ad to content ratio is far too high.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: May not be directly related...

What's wrong with AdBlockPlus?

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Exactly. I never see any ads on YouTube and I've binge watched hundreds of short sci-fi films over the last few months. Not one ad.

2. KBeee

Any suggestions how to be ad free with YouTube on an Amazon Firestick? Using Firefox on the firestick used to stop some of the ads, but Google/YouTube seem to have got round that somehow, and Firefox for Amazon Firestick/Fire TV is no longer supported since April 30th.

2. iron Silver badge

PiHole. Cheaper than a YT sub and will block all ads on all devices.

Alternatively I don't see ads when using the YouTube app on my Nvidia Shield. I see tons of them if I Chromecast from my phone to the same device.

1. O RLY

Pi-Hole doesn't do a good job of blocking YT ads, unfortunately. It's great for everything else, in my experience.

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-block-ads-on-youtube/253

Can you share what you did to tweak your blocklist?

Thanks

1. werdsmith Silver badge

If youtube embed the ad video a part of the actual hostreel then no ad blocker can stop it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@werdsmith

You are sort fo right. When the add is about to play, I get the usual 5 second countdown, then the vid goes black for less than a second, and then picks up exactly from where it stopped

And pre roll adds just don't seem to exist anymore

2. Guy de Loimbard
        Thumb Up

Pi Hole has worked well for blocking a lot of advertising traffic at home.

House full of kids with devices, smart tv's etc so much bandwidth being saved.

Not perfect, but not bad for a basic starter without breaking the bank either.

3. chivo243 Silver badge

I find myself doing another easy task while companies piss their money down the advertising sewer, I come back when I can click skip add>> I know it can be attention jarring to switch gears, but welcome to IT, where if you're not changing gears once a minute, you're doing it wrong!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My nine-year-old nephew showed me a way of getting rid of most YT ads on Android: When the video starts, swipe to the end of it. Then rewind to the start, and it plays without ads.

Doesn't get rid of the ads at the start (or some of the ones at the end) but every little helps.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Have you heard of Brave ?

Install Brave. Ads will be a thing of the past.

On a mobile phone, I feel this is especially important. You're the one paying the bandwidth.

1. Gordon 10
          FAIL

Brave? Are you insane?

The browser which silently inserts affiliate links as it goes along? And still does according to the twittersphere.

5. heyrick Silver badge

"8 minute videos with three or four ad slots. Really?"

Really? That's a lot.

I use Newpipe on my phone. No adverts, and other features. ;)

6. jonathan keith

Don't know if it's down to NoScript, Ghostery or Disconnect, but I haven't seen an ad on youtube (or anywhere else I've not whitelisted) for years. Watching a youtube video on someone else's machine the other day was quite an unpleasant shock.

7. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I recently ended up watching Youtube on a browser without my general holy trinity of uBlock/Disconnect/Tampermonkey. It was appalling: more ads than a US sitcom. I didn't even *know* they injected them. Said trinity does such a good job that you simply watch on a clean ad-free stream, without pauses or anything.

8. Dan 55 Silver badge

On Android, NewPipe (add NewPipe's repository to FDroid to get the updates quicker) or YouTube Vanced (people say good things but I've never tried it).

On the desktop, not sure which add-on is doing this but between uBlock Origin and Enhancer for YouTube I don't see any ads.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Firefox, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and I Don't Care About Cookies for good measure.

Beats the Google blackmail of otherwise spoiling contents created by other by charging you for it.

10. Aussie Doc
      Pint

What?

Shirley uBlock Origin, ABP, Ghostery, Privacy Badger et al means no ads at all in this modern era ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. oosman

Use Youtube Vanced instead of Youtube. Its ads free and also you can minimize it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Face it already. The only people who LIKE the internet's "advertising model" are the advertisers and garbage pushers. The CONSUMER HATES IT.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Advertisers and garbage pushers

I'm not even sure they like it - they know that at least 99% of the ads they buy are wasted (a 1% take-up rate is huge on-line). The ones that like it are the ones making tens of billions a year selling the ad slots to them.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

adverts are lost on me, somebody will actually save money!

No matter how good the advert is, I rarely, rarely! I say! buy anything offered up by google or any other mechanism. I buy when I'm in need, then I shop around. In the long run, somebody will actually save money! And not even know it... Sad isn't it?

Snake oil for all my friends at the bar!

6. Zolko Silver badge

Ark 2

When will Facebook be shipped away in Ark 2 ? That's where it belongs. Who in their right mind thinks it's good investment to buy advertisement online ? Probably only marketing droids ... who also belong to Ark-2.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ark 2

Take it you mean Ark B?

1. David Nash Silver badge

"The B Ark"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oh, are we doing this? Okay.

"Ark Fleet Ship B"

1. David 132 Silver badge

Be patient. Facebook and the others will be despatched on the B Ark, just as soon as the moist lemon-scented towelettes are delivered.

1. Atomic Duetto

Re: B Ark

That’s the one Bezos is about to launch isn’t it…

7. fidodogbreath

Multi-layer defense is key

Settings > Privacy > Allow Apps to Request to Track > OFF

Every app gets an automatic "no" to tracking; no prompts needed.

Of course, all system and app-specific analytics settings are always turned off.

Also have Lockdown Privacy installed to block analytics that are not switchable. It's seriously scary how many apps phone home to Facebook and Google. Lockdown has an optional paid VPN feature, but the Tracker firewall part is free. "Blocking works "on-device" meaning it does all of its blocking without sending all your data to a third party server, unlike other blocking apps.")

Network-level blocking on the home network, of course, but I'm not always on my home network; hence Lockdown.

8. Andre Carneiro

I allow the apps to ask me because I'm curious as to which ones actually want to do so.

It has been rather enlightening, and I get a kick out of clicking "No" every time...

As for YT adverts, I have developed such a hatred of Gramarly that I will go out of my way to avoid giving any money to those intrusive cockwombles.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

And NordVPN, Private Internet Access, Squarespace, League of Legends, ...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

NordVPN, Private Internet Access, and Squarespace tend to sponsor videos though.

And to be honest if they pay the content creator instead of YouTube, fair enough.

1. KBeee

Some of the sponsorship deals are hilarious. Makes you wonder if they even bothered to watch any of the content of the person they are sponsoring, instead of just looking at how many followers they have.

Lindybeige (a man that looks like he doesn't even own a comb) being sponsored by a male grooming company springs to mind.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Ditto on Grammarly, and bonus points for deliberately misspelling it :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And please include Honey ads and the one that I cannot damn enough, fucking Peloton. If I wanted to do exercise, I would buy 2 pints at a time and sit further from the bar...

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"If I wanted to do exercise, I would buy 2 pints at a time and sit further from the bar..."

Yoink.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"85% of ... consumers are not opting in"

And in other news, the sun rises in the east and bears shit in the woods.

Did anyone really expect a different outcome?

It's almost enough to persuade me to get an Apple phone.

Almost.

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

“impacting the $189bn mobile advertising industry worldwide”

Bless…

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

most users do not opt in to third-party tracking

proof of concept why the opt in by default was not accidental...

13. Lee D Silver badge

Strange that. When I get the choice, I don't want it.

It's almost like when you force it on me without a choice, I didn't want it either.

14. Tempest
    WTF?

Amazing, the Isheep Are revolting

It's good to know that some users of iThingies are awake enough to recognise a good feature when supplied.

Now Apple users await encrypted Cloud storage.

15. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Anyone?

Anyone know how to block ads from playing on the iOS YT app? I've not found a way yet :-(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like