back to article US postal service goes all in on AI

What do you know? The US Postal Service uses AI technology and have GPU servers running computer vision algorithms to track items being delivered across the country. The system is called the Edge Computing Infrastructure Program (ECIP, pronounced EE-sip) and is designed to run inference operations on machine learning models …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

AI Leadership

“The mission of the National AI Initiative is to ensure continued U.S. leadership in AI research and development, lead the world in the development and use of trustworthy AI in the public and private sectors, and prepare the present and future U.S. workforce for the integration of AI systems across all sectors of the economy and society,”

What makes them think that the U.S.(A.) currently leads in AI R&D? I'd also be interested to know what they mean by 'trustworthy AI'. I'm hoping it means ensuring that AI systems used, for example, in law and order, crime detection and justice are completely unbiased when it comes to skin colour, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation etc. Let's hope so.

Best wishes to the team, and I look forward to reading more about it on the Register in due course.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: AI Leadership

>What makes them think that the U.S.(A.) currently leads in AI R&D?

Total $$ of tax credits claimed as AI R&D by US corporations

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

...to automatically read barcodes even if they’re damaged.

If that is AI then I've been doing AI for years without knowing it.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

...more algorithms that can detect if the correct postage stamp has been used for a package...

A wAIghing machine, perhaps?

===

Reminds me of one of my clients that used to manufacture, effectively, packing materials. They had a real job trying to find a courier that would give them a decent quote for shipping massive volumes of "goods" that comprised negligible weight.

4. vogon00

Wait a mo...EE-sip is American?

And there was me thinking it was for voice trunks up north....

5. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

AI Goes Postal

So we will finally find out what happens when an AI goes postal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like