back to article UK's competition watchdog sniffs around AMD's proposed $35bn all-stock buy of Xilinx

Britain’s competition regulator has belatedly stuck a probe in AMD’s $35bn all-stock proposal to purchase Xilinx, more than a month after investors in both businesses gave the transaction their seal of approval. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) today launched an enquiry inviting interested parties to provide written …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel have an FPGA unit too. What's the problem exactly?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

1, The monopolies commission have to justify themselves.

2, The whole world looks to Global-Britain (tm) for leadership in international rules

3, Intel gave someone in govt a free coffee mug

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Xilinx are a San Jose California business, wtf has it got to do with the UK competition watchdog?

I can think of a few things they should have got into but didn't, but what I am I missing about them interfering where they have no business?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Xilinx are a San Jose California business, wtf has it got to do with the UK competition watchdog?

Because an anti-competitive monopoly would affect UK companies

If Boeing were to try and buy Airbus it would affect people beyond Boeing in Seattle

The problem is that the threat of British disapproval and retaliatory trade action by Global-Britain (tm) doesn't strike fear in quite the same way

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Xilinx + AMD would not form an anti-competitive monopoly because the CPU, GPU, and FPGA product lines are complementary. In fact the merger is beneficial to competition because Intel is still the bigger CPU player and is busily selling FPGAs to its datacentre customers.

2. HammerOn1024

Yet they didn't bat an eye when Intel bought Altera.

2. Erudition_lost

UK doesn't like competition

Softbank is trying to stifle competition by paying off regulators... Nvidia, Intel, and ARM would have more competition and they can't handle it bc as we have seen is once the playing field is level AMD stomps the competition... hopefully they will not allow the big boys to once again retain their monopolies through their power of the purse... but who knows as the corruption in the UK is wide spread

2. RAMChYLD

re: Intel have an FPGA unit too

Exactly my thoughts. No one raised an eyebrow when Intel bought Altera. Why are they raising a flag when AMD tries the same thing to stay competitive?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So AMD has $35bn to throw around

Good news. It would seem, however, that I'm going to have to revise my rating of AMD as "plucky underdog" and upgrade it to full-blown dog.

Even better news, actually. Intel is going to need to up its game.

Consumers will benefit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So AMD has $35bn to throw around

Funny thing is, Altera always was the "plucky underdog" of the FPGA business, and Xilinx the dominant company (but only around a 40/60 split of the market, not the 90/10 dominance that Intel had in CPUs). At the time we first heard of Intel buying Altera, I did suggest that Xilinx should buy AMD.

3. msknight

My response is in.

I previously responded to the other enquiry, so it was basically a matter of cutting and pasting, with a few alterations. For what it's worth.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It amuses me...

...to see the UK trying to be any way relevant on the global tech stage. Cute. [Pats UK CMA on head] "There's a good watchdog, but that's enough playtime, now back in your basket..."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you use Xilinx

You should be more worried about AMD buying it, losing interest, and shutting it all down, and writing everything off as a loss.

Wouldn't it be great to have a micro server that could isolate your critical workloads with all this side channel hell we have been living in since Specter and Heartbleed and Rowhammer? Remember Seamicro? Remember how you can't buy that thing now because AMD bought it, killed all Intel support, and then shut the whole thing down the AMD only versions weren't pushing enough volume to pay for the debt they took on buying it?

So yeah, maybe there are good reasons to take a second look, as this marriage doesn't come with a prenup, and the last wedding ended up with a cold stiff in a pine box.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you use Xilinx

Xilinx is too big & successful for that. It has a track record of getting things right generation after generation, unlike AMD...

2. HammerOn1024

Re: If you use Xilinx

Your logic is a bit flawed.

The use of FPGA's is accelerating as they do well much better at dedicated tasks than general purpose CPU's. Where making an ASIC is prohibitively expensive, but the speed of a dedicated chip is required, FPGA's are the money shot. They have become so embedded in the aerospace industry that they come with their own general purpose CPU IP cores these days.

AMD wanted another channel for selling CPU cores so this is marriage of FPGA-CPU is perfect for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: If you use Xilinx -> Hope I'm wrong too

The fear I have is founded on the fact that while healthy on it's own, the FPGA market is TINY compared to the broader CPU/GPU/RAM/flash markets right? So if AMD winds up behind the curve again, following the same cycles we've seen over and over again, I am afraid they may start cutting stuff. If it got spun out like Spansion and then GlobalFoundries, that's not necessarily the end of the world.

Also AMD has some prior form executing M&As successfully. Then again, the Centaur and ATI acquisitions threw them off track for several years while ultimately being successful, and several others like SeaMicro were closed and written off as a loss.

I feel like ATI gained more than AMD in the merger, and while GPUs are killing it in the world where number crunching matters, the CPU/GPU combos really haven't set the world on fire.

What do you think the prospects of a AMD cpu/FPGA combo or CPU/GPU/FPGA combo are in the real world? I'm interested, as my gut leans to thinking that the best standalone parts combined will outperform and outsell an integrated unit. I also feel like that is a biased opinion on my part, and based on too little experience with ASICs and FPGAs with on die interconnects. At least in principal you could really push some data around that way, cutting out that long trip down the PCIe bus

and back.

6. Sparkus

AMD need Xilinx not just because of Intel

but to match Nvidia/ARM as well.

7. Elledan

Vertically integrate all the things

If AMD buys Xilinx, and NVidia gets approval to buy Arm, at that point NVidia only has to buy up Lattice and we'll have three major companies producing CPUs, GPUs and FGPAs.

That can be both a terrific or a terrible thing, depending on your perspective. Regardless, AMD buying Xilinx seems like a done deal, after Altera's acquisition by Intel. After the proclamations by AMD back in the K8/K10 days about running FPGAs in sockets alongside server CPUs which never really became a thing, this might lead to a revival of that concept.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vertically integrate all the things

Intel did actually build that thing (Xeon 6138P) and it appears to have sunk without a trace.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like