back to article Ex Netflix IT ops boss pocketed $500k+ in bribes before awarding millions in tech contracts

Michael Kail, former veep of IT Operations at Netflix, was convicted on Friday on 28 counts of wire fraud, mail fraud, and money laundering after a federal jury found that he took advantage of his position to demand bribes from vendors. "As Netflix’s Vice President of IT Operations, Michael Kail wielded immense power to …

1. Brian Miller

Don't trust those with purse strings!

Money breeds corruption, it just does. But the alternative is a barter system, so we're stuck with it.

Swap out people on a regular basis, that's the only way to make sure that if one starts it, then it's found out soon enough. Letting your organization become static is always an ingredient for disaster.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Don't trust those with purse strings!

This is why purchases are supposed to be audited. Who wants to bet that Netflix has tightened up their processes?

1. BillG
        Devil

Obvious Evidence of Fraud

And September 2013, while getting paid as an advisor at Platfora, he signed a $250,000 annual contract to have Platfora provide software to Netflix. He then urged employees to find a use for the software, despite their objections and the fact that Netflix was already using and paying for a competing product.

Anyone who has been in the corporate world long enough knows if you already have a working product, and if you are being pushed to use a competing and inferior product, then there's either money or connections involved.

The real issue here is why wasn't this flagged and caught much earlier? Why wasn't this exposed during an audit? You don't get away with this type of open and obvious fraud unless more executives are involved.

1. throe a. wai

Re: Obvious Evidence of Fraud

After seeing that it took 3-4 years to catch I was expecting some sort embezzlement mastermind, but after reading I have to agree its insane that he wasn't caught right out the gate. Its not even low-hanging fruit, it already fell off the tree and has been rotting for months.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not money, *greed*.

The subtle difference is that you can have enough money. Here, he clearly wants something (a yacht, a fancy house, a mistress, f-u money to go travel the world, whatever he's seen on TV to make it desirable), these sums are not so huge as to be for simply collecting money for money's sake.

Swapping people out isn't the fix, that just breeds inconsistency. Each new IT director taking things off in a new direction simply to 'own' the decision process. Sure its a bad decision, but its *their* decision, its not the company on autopilot.

The thing to do is to prosecute these "you have to do me a favor though" events as a deterrent. Throw them in prison, even if they're rich old white guys covered in fake tan. Let them rot, so the others screwing over their companies are deterred from heading down that route.

The reason white collar crime is so prevalent is because its mostly unpunished. Fix that and you fix white collar crime.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Yes. He has been charged; but where are the charges for the people who paid the bribes. In the UK at least, and I assume this would apply anywhere with a sane justice system, it is equally illegal both to offer and to accept a bribe. Many companies - including all the ones I worked at - had very strict rules about it, too, and interminable training courses about how to avoid and how to report it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

At the very least, those companies that paid the bribes should be cleaning house too, starting with whoever signed off on the options. It's fairly easy to hide a bung as a "consulting fee"; stock options, not so much.

And then somebody should take a good long look at whoever audited the books of those companies and signed them off...

2. DJ

See also Warren Buffet.

e.g. Chapter 8 of https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Print-Companies-Plain-English/dp/1591843588

He's a charmer!

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The reason white collar crime is so prevalent is because its mostly unpunished. Fix that and you fix white collar crime.

I find your abundance of faith disturbing.

Pretty much everything we know about human beings, particularly from psychology and behavioral economics, tells us that people are not rational economic agents. The credible threat of punishment may deter some crime; it does not, and never will, eliminate it.

3. Plest Silver badge
      Mushroom

"Swap out people on a regular basis,"

Absolute cods-wallop! Why should I lose my job 'cos of your paranoia while I'm good at my job, that's not fair or right.

What you do is get your compliance dept and IT compliance officer ( you do have one of those right?! eveyr company needs ones! ) put proper auditing in place, ensure oversight and paperwork is in place and make people take holidays and ensure things are checked while they're not about to cover things up IF they're up to no good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've been through hundreds of project audits over the years (all clean). Auditors have asked very incisive questions. I once had to explain why I was writing off £300,000 worth of 3 com kit after 12 months, the simple answer was that a new entrant had produced a new switch which was more powerful offered greater management for less than the annual maintenance cost of the 3com monsters we had been using. The new entrant was Cisco LOL.

We had a similar conversation about 'missing' £250,000 worth of network switches after our county wide network had experienced multiple lightning strikes. We had had to deploy all our spare kit initially then swap cards between switches to get the network back on its feet. We did completely lose track of where individual switches were for a while as we had a constant stream being sent of for repair for months. Done even get me started on some of he 'vapourware' purchases I had to make to keep discount levels on mainframe operating systems, Trying to explain, why I'd be spending £40,000 on a piece of software I would never get installed to gain £300,000 worth of discount on other produces I needed was always interesting. It eould have been easy to gloss these over with some auditors as its just so bloody confusing

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"His actual sentence, however, will be balanced by US Sentencing Guidelines"

Which is to say, he will face the white man's justice, and serve less time than someone who held up a taco truck at spork point.

The only question is weather he will get the usual white collar sentencing guidelines, of if the DA will REALLY throw the book at him by making sure the fines are actually more then what he swindled in kickbacks.

But I'm sure he's just a great guy who made a mistake, unlike taco truck guy. That guy's evil. He probably didn't even share the stolen tacos with is family. The monster.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: "His actual sentence, however, will be balanced by US Sentencing Guidelines"

Compared to most Hollywood deals he is a saint - he didn't even rape anyone to get them a part

2. Kane
      Joke

Re: "His actual sentence, however, will be balanced by US Sentencing Guidelines"

"Which is to say, he will face the white man's justice, and serve less time than someone who held up a taco truck at spork point."

Hey, don't knock it, those sporks are dangerous.

3. O RLY
      Headmaster

This is federal court, so it's a United States Attorney, not a District Attorney.

The US Sentencing Guidelines have a long document that indicates more stringent penalties when related to drugs, terrorism, sexual explotation of minors, and, in the case of money laundering, sophisitication of the money laundering scheme. I'd wager the US Attorney will push for a long sentence based on the shell company. See page 326 in this document here.

Overall federal sentencing guidelines page:

https://www.ussc.gov/guidelines

1. First Light

What do you bet he ends up in Club Fed with tennis courts and his lawyers work on an appeal reducing whatever sentence the judge hands out? Add in early release and the sporker will do more time in worse conditions than Mr. White Privilege.

3. Matthew "The Worst Writer on the Internet" Saroff

This is Not Embezzlement, This is Capitalist Entrepreneurial Spirit

So say we all.

1. Fy
      Thumb Down

Re: This is Not Embezzlement, This is Capitalist Entrepreneurial Spirit

Not at all.

This is criminal

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: This is Not Embezzlement, This is Capitalist Entrepreneurial Spirit

Looks like a Poe factor of 0.8 on that comment.

Of course, meta-Poe says we can't tell whether you're trying for a high Poe factor (a deliberately ambiguous post intended to elicit a maximally-mixed reaction), or for a low one and you just aren't making your tone clear.

If it's the latter, name checks out.

4. Steve Aubrey
    Joke

Not a politician

Or at least not an honest one.

"An honest politician is one who stays bought"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope he has

an Insta account. Maybe he could claim to just being an "Influencer"

Or even better, start a business as a lobbyist and give bungs to lawmakers to throw contracts his way. Then he could collect his cut. Sorted

6. Robert 22

His timing is very unlucky. A year ago, he would have had a shot at a presidential pardon, particularly if he wisely invested some of his proceedings in campaign contributions.

7. JWLong

This is why

Well at least one reason why the C suit crowd do what they do. Just for personal gain.

This asswipe was just stupid enough to get caught. The dumb ass should have put the LLC's in his mommy's name.

Everybody knows that's the way you do it.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: This is why

This was just an IT minion, stealing $0.5M from a multi-$Bn company is hardly worth the effort

2. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

Re: This is why

This guy is a lowly egoriminal who broke the law. The smart guys get the law tailor made to suit them.

8. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

"Unix Mercenary"? The man is obviously a highly functional sociopath. Bet there were some skeletons in his closet before he got the job.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I think you're giving him too much credit, and he just thought he was being clever. Criminals often overestimate their own skills.

9. Potemkine! Silver badge

"Gifts"

I've seen this kind of behaviour a lot of times, without any conviction. However the level of greed was not so high.

10. sebacoustic

shrewd investment

Netflix will make that half a mission bucks back by turning the story into a gripping drama series but this time they don't have to pay the writers.

11. tonyyaman

he is only human and that's what humans do ever since man was on the earth rob steal sqrew kill nothing different man is man some get caught but most getaway Hayhoe thatslife

1. teknopaul

change your social circle mate.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As soon as you have in-house people "championing" 3rd parties, you have a problem. Microsoft seem to be doing this a lot at the moment - be our unpaid salesperson and get awards.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing new.

PHB does shady stuff to line his own pockets. Elsewhere in today's news, a bear shit in the woods....

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The makings of a great South African politician

He'd be right at home among the country's current ruling regime who have made an art form out of corruption.

15. Zarno
    Holmes

Film rights.

So, who has the film rights to this one?

And for every one we see, there are a few more that ran a scheme like it and escaped capture.

16. Rainer
    Mushroom

They could make a Netflix movie out of this.

On second thought, I doubt they will.

17. dinsdale54

Bizarre decision making on his part.

As he was a VP at Netflix there's a decent chance he was already on a seven figure salary which makes grifting for half a million seem rather poor value given that he's likely to do time.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Netflix should make a series about this.

They could call it Greedy Twat.

19. Miss Config
    Thumb Up

Where's The Movie ?

Thanks to the Reg for explaining clearly what happened here.

Seems there is more than enough interesting stuff to make a movie.

There must be SOME streaming service, at least, that would like to stream it to YOU ASAP.

20. John Savard

Fines?

He should have to fully reimburse Netflix for what he stole from them before he is allowed to pay a penny of either his fines or his taxes. Otherwise, after fines of twice what he stole, he might not have enough money to reimburse the victim for what was stolen, which should be the first priority.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like