back to article If you're the 1% and have 10 mins to spare this July, bid for a place on first Blue Origin space tourism launch

Blue Origin is planning to launch its first crew into space on July 20 – and a seat on this inaugural spaceflight is up for auction. There will be three stages to this process. Anyone can enter a sealed bid from May 5: all you have to do is fill out a form containing personal and contact information, and say how much you’re …

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Timing

Can I nominate Blue for the "most unfortunate timing of a press release of 2021" award?

1. stiine Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Timing

What have I missed?

Also, who's going to make a winning bid only to run up 7 flights of stairs in 90 seconds?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe releasing the news at the same time as this:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/05/tech/spacex-starship-sn15-test-flight-scn/index.html

Only thing I can see that has happened rocket related.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

7 flights of stairs

Surely if you're rich enough to consider spending this sort of money, you have people to run up and down stairs for you?

Also - how high is a flight of stairs? Our last flat (in an old building with very high ceilings) was on the third flour, after eighty-seven steps; this house has a mere fifteen between the ground and first floor, and only twelve down to the cellar.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 7 flights of stairs

I qualify on all but the affordability and stair climbing requirements. I have "Bungalow Legs" - an ailment afflicting those who live in Bungalows

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: 7 flights of stairs

I think the 7 flights of stairs refer to climbing the access tower to get into the capsule. Probably 21m / 70 feet / 152 linguine.

2. Imhotep

SpaceX is aiming to take tourist in to orbit later this year in a CrewDragon capsule.

2. jake Silver badge

Who would be daft enough to PAY ...

... to be what is in essence an Alpha test subject?

You wouldn't catch me dead in that thing ... not even if THEY were paying ME!

1. TVU Silver badge

Re: Who would be daft enough to PAY ...

"You wouldn't catch me dead in that thing ... not even if THEY were paying ME!"

Indeed, and while SpaceX is now successfully delivering and returning astronauts to and from the International Space Station, the best that Bezos and Blue Origin can manage is a suborbital flight which is something that can already be done by high altitude balloons.

3. Precordial thump Silver badge

Just checking...

Melinda Gates just made a booking but the ticket was for Bill...

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Just drop me here

> it hasn’t revealed how much it’s charging for a return ticket onboard its capsule

A return ticket? Does that mean there is an option for a one-way ticket. They'll take you to space and then leave you there. Either to travel onwards or to make your own way back (by parachute, perhaps)

1. Imhotep

Re: Just drop me here

The Shooting Star package does not include a return ticket but offers a hell of a view. For the observers on the ground.

5. Chris G

It's only fair

That Jeff should go on the first trip, but they should drop him off to prepare his moon base for the eventual trip to mars.

6. gurugeorge

Was planning this for my wife’s birthday.

I know what else the Mrs. can do in 10 to 12 minutes.... Doin the NASAty.. visiting the heavenly bodies.. doing the old Kneel Armstrong... ruining uranus...

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I think it's a great idea

To let rich people be the guinea pigs for a change.

As for me, even I had millions I'll still wait for the first hundred successful flights before I sign up to sit atop a gigantic fireworks that just might go boom quicker than expected.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Flame

Re: I think it's a great idea

But think how cool the stories would be - about how you'd been saved by the escape tower, and were now a steely-eyed missile man.

Like that guy who paid to be in the 2 seater Minardi F1 car. With Nigel Mansell driving round Donnington I think. He was supposed to impressively pass Alonso in the actual F1 car on the final corner, for pretty pictures on the main strait. But Alonso had other ideas and punted him off - so the guy got to spin at 150mph down a strait. Who else does he know that can top that story?

8. Clive Galway

Yawn

Meh, just this crossing the Karman line BS - 2 mins of weightlessness - you may as well just do a vomit comet ride

Call me when they're actually putting people into orbit

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Yawn

I'd take it, if I had the throwaway money.

9. Juanguanomo
    Paris Hilton

People are actually bidding for a ride on Jeff Bezos' short and stubby rocket that looks like a...you know...a Jeff's shiny bald head?

10. spireite Silver badge
    Joke

Karman line? Musk sent a Tesla......

So, did VW send a Karmann Ghia up there before Elon,

Or did Harmon Kardon send a speaker for a dyslexic up there?

11. Mike 16

I'd need to know

If the rocket was actually from Blue Origin, or part of comingled inventory and actually supplied by a group of teens with too much time on their hands and a stash of fireworks that "fell off a truck". And who published those glowing reviews from back when they sold dog shampoo?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like