back to article Facebook Oversight Board upholds decision to ban Trump, asks FB to look at own 'potential contribution' to 'narrative of electoral fraud'

The Facebook Oversight Board has upheld former President Donald Trump’s ban from Facebook and Instagram - but not before advising the platform to look at its own role in the Capitol-storming mess. The social media giant was the first major platform to ban Trump following the January 6 insurrection, when hundreds of his …

1. Red Ted
    WTF?

Oversight Board Funding

"Facebook Oversight Board operates independently from the company, although its $130m in funding comes from Facebook".

Jeepers, how much?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Oversight Board Funding

20 members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook_Oversight_Board

Looks like the devil pays well

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Oversight Board Funding

"although its $130m in funding comes from Facebook"

That, for sure, would make them very independent.

2. Richard Tobin

Has he been banned from El Reg forums?

At least he can still use Usenet.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Has he been banned from El Reg forums?

And IRC.

Both with end to end encryption, should he want that.

2. @infosec_jcp
      Coat

Oh god don't let them know about Alt.binaries newsgroups! *SirPatrickFacePlam.Gif*

3. elbisivni

Oh grief. I've only recently stopped having flashbacks to the September that never ended. This would rekindle the whole sorry business!

1. jake Silver badge

How could you even start having flashbacks if it hasn't ended yet?

Thursday is September the 10110th, 1993.

3. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Facepalm

This thread is doomed.

n/t

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: This thread is doomed.

Yeah, we will probably get someone crying about FREE SPEECH FOR THE DONALD sooner or later.

Meh. Eff him

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

FREE SPEECH FOR THE DONALD!

(happy now? - I made the mistake of voting for him the 1st time, but I didn't get fooled again)

It's really scary in my part of small-town America with all the people on my block alone with "don't tread on me" flags, "Biden is not my president" signs, and other crap displayed in the yard.

I did love how one guy made a smartass remark about my "Made in China" electric bike, only for me to shut him down about how it was designed and manufactured in Santa Cruz, California, with the exception of the forks, which are Japanese-made just like Harleys.

1. jake Silver badge

My Harley's forks were made in California ... Granted, that was back in 1976, but you can still get a set.

Barn find, basket, '46 Knucklehead, restoration project, not for sale.

4. iron Silver badge
    Mushroom

Dear Mr McCarthy (any relation?) Facebook is not a platform for free speech and debate, it is a private company and can do what it likes (within the law).

As for Ted "takes holidays during state disasters" Cruz... Facebook can't muzzle me because I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member.

1. jake Silver badge

Came here ...

... to post pretty much the same thing.

Except I'll add a couple questions for Mr. Cruz ... Are you trying to put private companies under Government control, Mr. Cruz? Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell them what they can and cannot do with their own resources? What are you, Mr. Cruz, some kind of Commie?

1. Mark 85

Re: Came here ...

What are you, Mr. Cruz, some kind of Commie?

I think "commie" is the wrong word. Think political party in Germany in the late 30's to mid-40's. Cruz's party does seem to be following certain playbooks published by that German party.

As my wording.. I'm censoring myself. I have friends on other sites that have been blocked for using the real names of those I mentioned.

2. TheMeerkat

Facebook is a monopoly and should be treated as such.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

For any organisation or business, broadcaster or whatever that uses the "go to our Faecebook page for more information". My standard response: "ok, thanks anyway. I'll try somewhere else".

It's taking some marketing departments some time to realise the ugly stigma attached to Faecebook and its users.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Boffin

nothing is forever?

Yes, it's the new Facebook Product, the lifetime ban, that isn't!! Sure you will get a lifetime ban, and it will hurt, but only for a little while. Just wait until favorable people get to make the decision... Profit!

6. Grease Monkey Silver badge

How the press works

It's interesting to note how different media outlets are covering this story:

Guardian Headline:

Trump’s Facebook ban should not be lifted, network’s oversight board rules

Register Headline:

Facebook Oversight Board upholds decision to ban Trump, asks FB to look at own 'potential contribution' to 'narrative of electoral fraud'

BBC Headline:

Facebook ordered to rethink Trump's permanent ban

The Grauniad gives the main ruling the rest of the detail being in the story.

El Reg gives the main ruling, but also adds in the bit that they want us to concentrate on i.e. that Facebook were keen to promote the story of electoral fraud.

The BBC on the other hand produces a headline which actually seems to contradict the main ruling. I can only assume that this is either clickbait or the BBC want to promote controversy.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: How the press works

The problem is that the BBC headline, though somewhat misleading, is completely factual. Here's the relevant portion of the Register article:

However, the Oversight Board criticised the extraordinary nature of the ban, which was not rooted in precedent, but rather a reaction to the events happening in Washington D.C.

“It was not appropriate for Facebook to impose the indeterminate and standardless penalty of indefinite suspension. Facebook’s normal penalties include removing the violating content, imposing a time-bound period of suspension, or permanently disabling the page and account,” it said.

It has ordered Facebook to revisit the decision within the next six months and re-issue a penalty that’s based on ”the gravity of the violation and the prospect of future harm,” as well as precedent.

So it did order Facebook to rethink the decision, but specifically to decide on a different penalty. Of course, from their list of accepted options, it seems Facebook could just suspend for a fixed length period of sixteen centuries and that would meet the requirements.

1. jake Silver badge

To be fair, there is ordered and then there is ordered.

Facebook is perfectly capable of ignoring the so-called "oversight board", it's not like they are in charge of decision making at Facebook. or anything else even vaguely resembling that.

Auntie Beeb's headline was intentionally disingenuous no matter how you read it.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Beeb's headline was spot on.

2. Julz

The BBC news editorial team took a long lunch a decade or so ago. Not sure whose running the desk now, but they sure aren't journalists.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"repeatedly and falsely claiming"

That just about sums up OHSG's entire presidency.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "repeatedly and falsely claiming"

OHSG?

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Orange Howling Shit Gibbon? (Just guessing.)

3. jake Silver badge

He was known as the Liar In Chief for a reason, and it wasn't merely rhetoric.

8. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

But hes

got his own social media site now... with blackjack and hookers

Seriously... FB are a private company and can do what the f--- they like. you want to publish crap on their site... you agree to their terms. 1st amendment only applies to the government.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: But hes

Ah, forget the blackjack! Atlantic City is so over.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Personally, the less I hear from the traitorous fool…

The better.

10. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

The inside story...

"The inside story of how we reached the Facebook-Trump verdict"

Alan Rusbridger

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/05/trump-facebook-oversight-board-verdict-alan-rusbridger

11. Wolfclaw

Nick Clegg, FB pet asshole, he sells out quicker than a free orgy in the Whitehouse ticket and no longer credible, hence no longer a politician, he ran out of lies in that job!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like