back to article Apple patches iOS, macOS, iPadOS, watchOS, kitchen-sinkOS bugs said to be exploited in the wild

Apple on Monday patched security flaws in its software said to have been exploited in the wild by miscreants to hijack gear. WebKit, fixed in macOS Big Sur 11.3.1, can be tricked into executing arbitrary code by processing malicious web content – a bad webpage can take over the browser, in other words. "Apple is aware of a …

1. JWLong

Just another pile

of crap operating system. IOS

Maybe we should think about just shutting everything off.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Just another pile

Because all other operating systems are perfect and bug free.

I also assume that every piece of software you've ever written has been 100% bug free.

1. JWLong

Hey mousey, read the Title. It says "ANOTHER", now think about what that word means within context.

And, you have no idea what I've worked on so I can only imagine that you like to step into dark rooms.

When you're finished beating your head against the wall, have a nice day.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

They're ALL crap. Android is crap in different ways so I use that instead.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. xyz Silver badge

My hunting camera is safe...

No way in hell will any IOS thingy pair with it.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: My hunting camera is safe...

I'm intrigued... what exactly does your camera hunt and what does it do with its victims after it catches them?

1. James O'Shea

It hunts Tories. Particularly it hunts Tories in indoor situations involving riding crops, chains, riding boots, foxes, fox hounds, and hunt ponies. RMS would approve.

1. DJV Silver badge

Oh, I definitely approve in that case!

4. macjules

WatchOS

Also worth a mention that the latest update for WatchOS fixes the fact that the previous WatchOS update was failing to download and install and hanging at the verification stage.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: WatchOS

My wife has an Apple watch. It and her iPhone decided to update yesterday evening, but the watch update took a left turn into Borkville, and hadn't returned to normal as of this morning.

1. James O'Shea

She's lucky. My Apple Watch (which I did NOT buy, it was a purchase for me by someone who should have had more sense but whom it would be unsafe to insult by not using the damn thing) updated. Battery life promptly died. This morning it was 21%; I charged it to 99%... and within a few hours it was down to 81%. And falling rapidly.

Does anyone know how to remove an 'update'?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I find that these battery life tproblems that Apple devices get after updates are in fact the battery life indicator telling lies and overestimating the energy use. They seem to fix themselves over a week or so I've noticed. Probably some primitive ML thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the previous WatchOS update was failing to download and install and hanging at the verification stage

Umm, doesn't that logically imply you would not be in a position to download the following update?

:)

5. Steve Graham

Have I Really Been Pwned?

So lots of people got an unsolicited email from the FBI. "Oh sure," they thought, "as if the real FBI would be mailing me."

"Your login credentials on the following website have been compromized. Please change your password immediately by clicking on this link."

(I spelled "compromized" with a zee to make it look more authentic.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive long term support.

Interesting: even my by IT standards ancient iPhone 6 (yes, 6, not 6S) is downloading an update.

I use that thing mostly as audio recorder for a Røde SmartLav so it would not have been a problem, but it is busy downloading iOS 12.5.3 which too has those fixes. I'm impressed. I must look up how old that thing actually is.

As for iPadOS, even the betas got updated - it's at 14.6 beta 2 right now.

I hope this Microsoft-compatible volume and frequency of updates abates soon, though, I have work to do :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Impressive long term support.

Thanks to some quick googling I now know you were referring to a brand of lavalier microphone. Which is not the mental image that sprang to mind when I read "SmartLav"! It also explains why you were making audio recordings of you using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Impressive long term support.

Hey, I didn't choose its name, I just use it :)

(and it's damn good gear that supports broadcast quality)

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge

if you write your code so that it is resistant to timing attacks, you'll be fine

Dunno about that: I'm currently chasing a bug which the debugger insists happens *before* the event that causes it!

1. Hero Protagonist
      Coat

Re: if you write your code so that it is resistant to timing attacks, you'll be fine

Minority Bug Report

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like