back to article Good: Water vapor signal detected for first time on distant planet. Bad: Er, we'll let one of the boffins explain

Evidence of what was once possibly water vapor has been detected in the atmosphere in a distant world for the first time – though one of the scientists involved in the discovery told us this would-be interstellar getaway is "completely inhospitable." Wasp-33b, spotted in 2015, is a hot and huge Jupiter-ish gas giant. Located …

1. Chris G

I find it remarkable how much can be inferred from such relatively tiny amounts of information, especially considering it is only a few years since the methods for detecting exo-planets was developed.

Though some of the press releases are sometimes somewhat over imaginative, the work these guys do is fantastic and is truly inspirational.

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Hmm ...

Water vapour at 2000 degrees centigrade ?

Sounds ideal for a coffee franchise.

1. tip pc Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Hmm ...

"Sounds ideal for a coffee franchise."

could call it star something!!

warning contents may be hot

1. Stumpy

I'd hate to be the Deliveroo rider fulfilling those orders though.

2. Muscleguy

Nope, ideal coffee brewing temperatures are around 85C. When making my morning cuppa (fresh ground beans, Aeropress) the jug is first boiled then a modicum is poured into the coffee mug to warm it.

Only at that point are the beans ground (the Aeropress is set up whilst the water boils). It must then be tipped into the device with straggler grounds encouraged out with the brush then the funnel brushed down.

Only now can the only quite hot water be added to the grounds (sitting on the metal filter for maximum oil content, the metal futrther cooling the water).

2000C is rather more than that making for a harsh, astringent cup of coffee.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Trollface

Alternatively, heaped spoonful of instant in the mug followed by pouring boiling water straight from the kettle, hoping not to miss through the blurry, sleep addled eyes and brain.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just stick a mug of water in the microwave oven for 90 seconds. Then add instant coffee. In our hard water area it saves having to descale a kettle every so often.

1. Twanky

You monster!

I mean. Coffee first thing in the morning?

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

If the English had a base there

They would still insist on jackets and ties at dinner.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Flame

Re: If the English had a base there

One can't drop one's standards though, can one. But, by Jove, it is a trifle warm. This is melting the ice in my jynnan tonyx.

2. b0llchit Silver badge
      Alien

Well, in the US you'd have warning signs all over like Warning: Slippery when wet and Warning: Water may be hot and cause burns.

Ah well, would aliens also require all these signs? Or, have the aliens already set up signs and we missed them?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Warning: Objects in the mirror are behind you

3. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> If the English had a base there

...they would complain about the weather...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

And always take a brollie in case the vapour changes to rain.

4. Chris 15
    Thumb Down

"Vapor"?

I didn't think El Reg had decided begin to strip itself of it's British underpinnings just yet...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Vapor"?

@Chris 15

Oh do wake up!

They started that transition when they changed to a dot com.

And started using UTC time.

And started going heavy on the sarcasm. That will please the Yanks who would think that as being "edgy".

This site has pretty much changed into a red top tabloid.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
        Boffin

The sun's longitude fully deserves its reputation for being "mean".

Yeah, fuckwits. What are they doing using UTC??? Why are they not using UT0 like proper Brits???? We don't want no fucking rounding to the nearest second subject to the whims of furrinners at IERS and their "atomic" clocks. (Yeah, like they're atoms could evarr be more accurate than a candle. Seriously, guys, get real!) And we're not bloody coordinating with them to come up with pissy UT1. Us Brits bow to no bloody FUCKER! And fuck Greenwich, too! Just give us the full local time from Kew like it always use to be!!!!1!!! (And can we exit the IERS????1!!! I'm sure we're paying billions to them to be made slaves their temporal authority. Lets use a few bloody stones in a field and a protractor!!!! My Nan could do it from her kitchen window.)

2. Swarthy
        Holmes

Re: "Vapor"?

Changed? It's always been a red-top. You can tell by the err.. Red Top.

5. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

So it's not a dry heat then?

I for one am still waiting for us to find a planet that can be officially described as 'moist', if only because so many people seem to have an issue with the word.

I'll get my coat - it's the one ready for watersports...

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Joke

Re: So it's not a dry heat then?

> a planet that can be officially described as 'moist'

This planet is moist intriguing.

Here, done it, you just have to turn autocorrect off and use fat fingers...

2. heyrick Silver badge

"if only because so many people seem to have an issue with the word."

What's wrong with a word that means "slightly wet"?

It's a perfect way to describe the correct way to bake a cake, and the weather in the summer when it isn't quite raining but will very soon...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Apparently many people find the word "moist" cacophonous or have unpleasant associations for it. It shows up regularly in lists of most-disliked words. ("Panties" is another frequent flyer.) It doesn't bother me, personally, and alternatives like "slightly damp" are usually awkward.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So it's not a prickly heat then?

ISTR that water helps layers of rock slip over one another, vital for the plate tectonics that keeps the planet suitable for Life As We Know It. So maybe the phrase you're looking for is "Well Lubed Up".

AC, cause the coat needs a 2000C boil wash anyway...

4. M. Poolman

...people seem to have an issue with the word...

I wouldn't have thought that it bothers moist people!

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I for one am still waiting for us to find a planet that can be officially described as 'moist', if only because so many people seem to have an issue with the word."

Is that the one where they make the lemon scented napkins?

6. Stevie

Bah!

The European Extremely Large Telescope?

Will they let British scientists have a go?

If they do, watch out for boot-polish on the eyepiece.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Bah!

On ESO.

"The United Kingdom’s decision to leave the EU has no direct consequences for the UK’s membership of ESO. The UK has been a Member State of ESO since 2002 and will remain so should it leave the EU, without any immediate impact.

ESO is an intergovernmental astronomical research organisation that is independent of the European Union. A country’s membership of ESO is independent of its membership of the EU. ESO was established by international treaty between its Member States, which now number 15, not all of which are members of the EU.

The broader implications of the UK’s exit from the EU cannot be anticipated at present and the impact of this process on the European research landscape may take many years to become clear. In the meantime, ESO will be actively working with international stakeholders at all levels to promote excellent science in its Member States, in Europe, including the UK, and beyond.".

Britain is of course free to piss off should it feel ESO is too European, taking into account, of course, that all obligations have bee fulfilled first.

https://www.eso.org/public/announcements/ann16039/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_Large_Telescope

1. Stevie

Re: Bah!

I see Brexit has eroded the British sense of humour to the nub.

Never mind. Go have a nice fish'n'chips lunch ... oh dear.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Flame

Gas giant with a 24 hour year

I wonder how long it takes before it turns into just whatever is at the core and is no longer either gassy or a giant? That's awfully close to it's sun to have much of a life expectancy.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Gas giant with a 24 hour year

Thought about that too. It must have landed there (astronomically) recently and will (astronomically) soon be whittled down to almost nothing.

Great chance to see what's actually inside a gas giant! (Stuffing, I guess)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like