back to article Mayday! Mayday! Microsoft has settled on a build and Windows 10 21H1 is inbound

Buckle up, it's that time again. Microsoft is set to unleash Windows 10 21H1 upon an expectant world, as well as inflict its weird obsession with News and Interests on existing users. "We believe," said Windows Insider bigwig Brandon LeBlanc, "that Build 19043.928 is the final build for the May 2021 Update." Microsoft being …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unplug yer routers folks!

Manky$oft is a-comin' for your computah, and it ain't gonna be purdy.

^ Microsoft's full technical release notes and migration plans for 21H1.

1. Boothy

Re: Unplug yer routers folks!

Or just don't hit the button to upgrade versions.

I basically do an N+2 at home, unless I want to try something new (like the recent updated to WSL).

As far as I can see, even Home editions don't try to force version updates on you on release. You just get a Feature Update message under Windows update to let you know there is a newer version of Win 10 available. (Which I simply ignore most of the time, if it ain't broke etc).

My main home PC (mainly a gaming system, hence Windows) is on 2004, which I only did a few months back, and that was only as I wanted to try something out that hadn't been included in earlier 19* versions.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Windows

I love Windows - update are never an issue

Of course it's because I'm running Windows 7 and Vista on all my PCs. They just keep working great 24/365 - I do have a new Windows 10 system for internet access but I don't use it that much because it takes longer to log in and and get it running every day.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: I love Windows - update are never an issue

You'll be one of those people who insisted Windows XP was better than 7 for years too.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

They may not be. I still run Windows 7 on the main PC and laptop at home as I know they work. However I use Windows 10 at work. There are parts of Windows 10 I like and miss when in Windows 7. Tempted to move the main PC to Windows 10 but still holding off as all working fine in Windows 7. Also don't want to lose the beloved Truecrypt (not tried it on Windows 10 yet)

1. dotdavid

Truecrypt works fine on Windows 10. Whether or not it's a good idea (in a general security sense) to still use it is still a topic veiled in mystery IMHO.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Happy

Yes, I did like XP, it was a lot better than the preceding versions but it had security issues that Vista fixed causing lusers to complain - Windows 7 made lusers happier. I also run Window 8 and 10 because I have to support our company users around the world - many still run XP etc outside the west.

Working with all these operating systems is fun - I'm not going to complain about Windows but, having many years ago worked with operating systems at an internal source code level, they have issues.

3. JimmyPage Silver badge

So that's Mays holidays pulled then.

... or you're just putting off the pain ....

4. LenG

Windows taskbar

"In case you were in any doubt about who is really in charge of your taskbar, the patch includes News and Interests function on the Windows 10 taskbar."

Does anyone use the windows taskbar?

5. captain veg Silver badge

Some of us may be spared the update

Those of us not running Windows 10, for example?

-A.

1. Lon24

Re: Some of us may be spared the update

Except that some of us are still awaiting the *ubuntu 20.10 to 21.04 update. It is officially stalled because of an issue with 'shim' necessary for EFI secure boot systems. The old one's authorisation has been revoked by Microsoft and the new is awaiting authorisation by Microsoft - which is taking a tad longer than even a Win10 update.

Seems trying to escape the clutches of Redmond is futile. Story here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shim/+bug/1925010

1. martyn.hare
        Linux

Why wait?

Why not revert to the older revocation list and use the old shim? Regular x86 UEFI secure boot is broken anyway due to the ability to perform downgrade attacks...

6. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Oh dear god

Here am I, stuck on 2 win 10 PCs (1 due to my win7 HDD lunching itself) aand finally got everything turned off , browser sorted, email program sorted and various other things sorted, with the file references to MY programs and not some crummy m$ stuff

And we get win update... which means everything will be reset to default and you have to do all the file associations, and default programs and turning off the slurping all over again.... although my cure for my spare box is to switch the grub boot loader's default setting back to linux and leave it there

7. Wade Burchette

News and interests

The only thing I am interested in is for Microsoft to stop sticking their nose into everything and just leave me with an efficient, unbloated, and properly tested OS. My interests will never align with Microsoft's interests. Specially, Microsoft's interest is more money and my interest is "LEAVE ME ALONE AND LET ME GET TO WORK!"

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: News and interests

I concur. I opened up a Word document yesterday only to find that they've messed with the comments functionality in a way that seems to make it probably less useful and certainly more annoying. I'll have to re-train my muscle memory to get the hang of the slight delay that now exists before I can type after pressing Ctrl-Alt-M (so the first letter or two don't appear in the document rather than the comment box), and then I have to remember to press Ctrl with Enter rather than just Enter. And this is only on one of my two machines, so I have to remember which one I'm using. And I can't go back to the old system. Bastards.

8. Phil Kingston

If MS's idea of "News" didn't include who's banging who on whatever this month's shitfest reality show is, I might let it infect my Taskbar. Until then, no.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge
      Headmaster

Who's banging whom.

2. batfink

But you're forgetting that the "news" is only the filler bits between the revenue-generating advertising.

9. DiViDeD

Pity us poor gamers

More recent drivers (half gB monster) for graphic cards pretty much rely on you having a Windows 10 machine to run them on. And with RTX still introducing better and smoother implementations, you need the latest drivers (except they're not called 'drivers' anymore - I am currently stuck in the nightmare world of GeForce Experiences) to run the latest games in all their rendered beauty.

But at least I'm not bitter - much.

10. Robert Grant

> while a humungous patch slithers its way down the internet

This is good. Using this.

11. mmonroe

Shouldn't they be calling it Windows 11 by now?

Windows 8 release 2012. Windows 10 release 2015. 5 years seems a long time for M$ not to change the number.

Not that I really care - I'll stick to Linux at home and the Mac my empoyer has me use.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Shouldn't they be calling it Windows 11 by now?

Win 3.1111111111111111111112

2. Martipar

Re: Shouldn't they be calling it Windows 11 by now?

I think it's testament to how stable Windows is these days. between 1994 and 2001 Microsoft released NT4, 95, 98,, 2k, ME and XP. Which is an average of about 1 a year, without including the service packs and server operating systems. it's a lot of releases but there was a lot of instability, Windows 10 is by far the most stable OS I've used.

I used to like Linux but on this PC every time I updated the kernel I had to manually update the graphics drivers via the command line, it was frustrating as I didn't like having the choice of using an old kernel or having the PC boot to the desktop when I wanted it to.

12. Oh Homer
    Facepalm

I'm so glad...

... that Microsoft keeps pushing spam "updates" to my fully purchased operating system.

Erm, what exactly did I pay for, again?

13. Is it turned on?

Not just windows....

Oh god no, not another one.

Having said despite the common myth the fruity people are no better. I bought a nice new shiny Mac mini M1 back in January, yesterday it announced that it wanted to do its third or fourth (I've lost count) major operating system upgrade since then. Each time it does this its a 4GB+ download followed by 20 minutes of watching an Apple logo on a black screen with a slowly moving progress bar.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: Not just windows....

Yep, I get this with my Macs, I can't think of any reason why yesterday's Safari 'patch' was 1.8gb and took 45 minutes to install.

It's a good job I'm used to this now and always boot my work from home Mac as I'm on my way to make coffee just in case there's another massive patch to install before I can log into teams

1. babaganoush

Re: Not just windows....

Isn't a "patch" by definition only a few lines long - i.e. typically much less than 1kb?

14. hoola Silver badge

Settings......

What I cannot comprehend is why the 20? update goes and resets so many settings.

On my home laptop (running 10 Professional) if has gone and zapped all the power settings and appears to have changed what the defaults were as well. I am still trying to get the bloody thing to be able to be docked, have the lid closed and turn on/resume from hibernate.

For some reason since the update it has decided that if the lid is closed and it is docked, you can only turn on or resume if the lid is open even though I have put back the setting I had previously.

On my Son's laptop it wiped a load of the security stuff (pin & fingerprints) and screwed over the login (a Microsoft login for Office/Teams) he needs for his University.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Settings......

Not to mention every single Windows 10 update puts a shortcut for Edge back on the desktop.

I don't want your shitty browser. Stop trying to make it happen. It's not going to happen.

2. Martipar

Re: Settings......

I've just checked my power settings and they are exactly as they were before the update. The only problem was that 'News and interests' crap but I disabled taht and everything is back to nmormal.

15. ITMA Silver badge

I've only one thing to say to that..

Oh bollocks.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like