back to article There is no escape: Atlassian to send Jira into places only Excel dares to tread

Atlassian has released Jira Work Management, which it plans to slip into fields beyond the usual IT and software suspects. The Jira product itself, which Atlassian initially built its house on, is coming up on its third decade, having started life in 2002 as an issue tracker. It has grown over the years to encompass agile …

1. Julz

Excellent

It stands a good chance of fucking up all your favorite departments. HR, finance and marketing trapped in the quagmire that is JIRA...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Excellent

Don't forget project management. I'd love them to actually breakdown tasks, tests for those tasks, results of those tests, time spent doing them etc. etc.

It would be really interesting to see if they actually do anything useful.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's the deal...

We, the Reg. readers, will embrace and enjoy any news articles you post about the SCO-by-any-other-name, risen from the grave lawsuit shenanigans AND NEVER use terms in our related comments such as "Not this shit again" IF you persuade Atlassian to just stop it already.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Are you sure it doesn't do that already? I mean the UI is obtuse and often fails to render completely so maybe the functionality is already there and they've only just realised.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unresolved bugs

It's been years since I was dealing with bugs in the Atlassian product suite itself, but I am still receiving email notifications on what are now 6 and 7 year old bugs with several hundreds of votes by frustrated Atlassian clients.

Not sure I would recommend clients to invest in another Atlassian product at this point.

5. knarf

Its as buggy as hell

All my time logs disappeared yesterday for 2-3 hours. This happens every 6 months or so then they all come back.

No thanks I'd rather use real office apps.

6. frankyunderwood123

If in doubt what direction to go in, add more bloat

So, instead of focussing on what Jira is actually useful for - and fixing long standing bugs - hey, lets just add more features.

More features = more bugs = more bloat.

Eventually, a competitor will come along with the mantra of simplicity and the entire cycle repeats itself.

I wonder if they ever asked themselves "how many people will use these new swanky features?"

It reminds me somewhat of what happened to Netscape back in the day and indeed *any* adobe software - like Photoshop - just one big bloated beast.

Features are added that maybe are used by 1% of the user base and the other 99% suffer the inevitable confusion, sluggish performance and more bugs.

Our team have already gone through the pain barrier of a recent upgrade, which consumed many hours of time and confused everyone that uses Jira on a daily basis.

But hey, progress, right ...

7. werdsmith Silver badge

The business keeps buying another thing like this ever month or so, expecting me to manage another login and learn it, then monitor it.

It's getting ridiculous. I've started ignoring them and working only with a core set of tools.

8. teebie

Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I don't think that JIRA is very good.

1. dotdavid
      Meh

I would say a good proportion of those that use it would agree with you. Oddly, those that pay for it don't seem to share our opinion.

9. TheRealRoland
    Unhappy

Oh, Atlassian

Bunch of hot garbage. Half-rendering views, misusing existing fields for different purposes (Beta roadmap, anyone?) which then changes your existing stuff, JQL hampered by in my mind the absence of very simple functionality (but you can buy the plugin on the market place, but only if you have this very specific version of Jira and are not using next-gen projects).

Bah.

But, necessary evil :-(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like