back to article Half-metre pizza or an upgrade from Windows 7? We know what we'd choose

Today's bork comes from the fine Croatian town of Opatija, located on the coast and reminding us of those happy days when overseas holiday were allowed. Not so for our reader, who insisted he was in the locale for purely work purposes, and fancied an after-hours snack. "This restaurant's speciality is a '1/2 metre long pizza …

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    1. Kane
      WTF?

"What?"

What?

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Upgrade Windows 7 ...

... by tell it that you are not going to install Windows 10 - this means that your restaurant ordering will work 24/7 and the system will never hang up for 20 minutes while Windows installs new "features" that you don't need every month.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Upgrade Windows 7 ...

Well, technically, you could very well upgrade to Windows 1 0 and put the PC behind a firewall that blocks Internet access - which is something you should do anyway for a point of sale equipment that has no need to access the Internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What's this with point of sale not needing to access the internet?

You think this is the 1970s? That business is all done in cash? That the girl at the register can pull a crank out of the drawer and keep going when the power goes out? Or maybe you think it's the '90s, and there's a leased 56k line going to the card processor?

What you suggest is stupid, and you should feel stupid.

Yes, a point of sale system needs internet access in 2021. It's NOT optional.

There's even a decent chance that the system is partially running in the "cloud" and won't even function without internet.

It definitely needs an upgrade from any version of Windoze though. I suggest Linux.

1. Montreal Sean

@Anonymous Coward

The POS does not need internet access, the POS should only be communicating with a "back office" server of some type that then provides a secure connection to the outside through a secured firewall.

The POS systems I work on (restaurant, retail stores, petrol stations) do not have direct access to the outside world.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> A customer of mine who bought some POS software without any support or guidance learnt the hard way....

That POS actual stood for Piece Of Sh...

3. xyz123 Silver badge

help "Internet Explorer" beyond "is never any". Hmm

Internet Explorer is never any beyond help?

is never any Internet Explorer help beyond?

Ah got it!

Internet Explorer is never any help Beyond.

So you're saying if I get pulled into an evil hell dimension via a portal I should use Chrome? wouldn't that be playing into the Evil's hands?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FWIW given the basis of this story I feel obliged to report that my laptop suddenly decided about an hour ago that it had had enough of Windows 10 1903 and it was time to jump to the new brave world of 20H2!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pizza Ordering Kiosk App

The end of course project for the IBM Object Technology 1 (Smalltalk) course years ago...

Whilst it was held at different locations, I have fond memories of one held at the then IBM run International Education Centre (IEC) at La Hulpe in Belgium - in addition to the bar there - "La Cave", there were evenings in Brussels to sample more local beer. Keeping awake during the afternoon lectures were a bit of a struggle after invariably opting for steak-frites. The course was 5 weeks in duration, so came back with an expanded mind and waist.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like