back to article Volunteer-run pirate Manga website attacked, loses hashed passwords, has ‘nobody’ to fix the mess

A “scanlation” website for Manga has admitted that its members credentials have been stolen and are now being shared online. MangaDex.org was rated as the world’s 1,024th-most-trafficked website in March 2021 by Amazon’s web marketing outfit Alexa. The site went offline a few days after achieving that rating, after admitting …

1. DryBones

Salted + A Real Hash...

The 'shoestring site' already was prepared better than 95% of the breaches, weren't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Salted + A Real Hash...

It depends. I've seen many authentication schemes where the salt is a single global constant. Sometimes the hash is truncated so that UID + hash is a tidy 64 bit int. It would take 10^19 guesses so it's secure, right? And it's not possible to re-encrypt because there are external APIs that use only the 64 bits to keep the password safe.

<sobbing uncontrollably>

1. teknopaul

nonsense. With dictionary attacks it does not matter the length of the hash output, you could save one digit. if you store less it's more likely that a found match will be incorrect and not reveal your actual password.

What matters is how good the passwords are and how much time a hash iteration takes.

64bits is easily enough to stop a brute force attack.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

You point out ways to make it better, which is valid.

But the original post is still correct. 95% of the breaches we see do not come close to MangaDex.org's practices.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the moonrunes were easier to read and/or the supposed official translations of obscure work actually existed, I'm sure more people wouldn't have to rely on sites like this. But really only popular series get official translations.

Where am I going to get my Daddy From Hell fix now? Adware-ridden rustholes of scum and villainy?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Time to learn Japanese? 猫に小判

3. Piro Silver badge

Sites like this should offer SQRL authentication, then they don't have to keep any unencrypted data about users at all, or even have access to that data..

1. RuffianXion
      Joke

But what if you don't have a squirrel?

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Trollface

No squirrel?

You can have one of ours.

The little bastards go around burying acorns in all parts of the garden and then forget where they left them.

At least the new oak trees are good to look at.

2. Sgt_Oddball
        Coat

Wait a minute...

Surely that would make it a secret squirrel... No?

Mines the one hiding the rocket jetpack on the inside...

4. heyrick Silver badge

which rather diminished publishers’ chances of securing distribution in nations outside Japan

These sites exist because interesting series that don't have global appeal (like a lot of stuff around the weirder quirks of Shinto) never get translated. And the things that do, if not wildly popular (hello One Piece) may be aborted six volumes into a twelve volume set.

For the publishers, it's only about making money (and the price of manga is often more than a similar sized paperback). For the fans, it's about continuity of story (or, even, just finishing the story).

The "diminished chances" excuse is the one publishers pick because "we never had any intention of publishing this widget series we don't understand" doesn't sound as good for them.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: which rather diminished publishers’ chances of securing distribution in nations outside Japan

For one series that I was interested in years ago(can't remember which now), they sold the European publishing rights to a French company. Which of course only made a French edition.

I don't really bother with Manga any more.

What gets translated to Norwegian usually ends up 'age shifted' to fit young kids even if the contents is 'somewhat more mature'. And Japanese puns are almost never explained, but instead horribly 'remade' into whatever the translator thinks is funny.(It never is)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: which rather diminished publishers’ chances of securing distribution in nations outside Japan

Like "Jelly Filled Doughnuts" in Pokemon?

2. Razgrizian

Here in Indonesia, the rights to almost all manga is owned by a single publisher. (for light novel, there are several publishers that took the rights)

Although, I prefer to read manga in English or Japanese

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

No diminshed sales

Yeah, the diminished sales is a weak excuse. These fans tend to get the "unofficial" version of these manga and anime, and actually buy the official translations as soon as they come out; I seriously would guess rather than reducing sales, this probably increases the number of fans who purchase their products. Translations have a healthy cost, so they decide which series they will translate and which they won't... (... I know the "politics" of it makes this impossible, but wouldn't it be interesting if a publisher simply bought the rights, then kicked a couple bucks toward the "pirate" anime/manga sites and simply used their translations?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No diminshed sales

The "diminished sales" argument gets hashed out regularly by translators and fans, no true answer I think.

I'm registered on Mangadex as a reader but I also translate and contribute 'scanlated' manga to the site. A lot of the other manga aggregator sites out there survive by scraping and reformatting content from Mangadex since it supports a thriving translation community which posts their work on the site almost exclusively.

The series I choose to translate tend to be oddball mangas which are very unlikely to get commercial release in the West. This salves my conscience a little but I'm totally aware what I'm doing is copyright theft.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No honor amongst thieves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like