back to article Penguin takeover: We tried running some GUI Linux apps on Windows the official way – and nothing exploded

Microsoft has released the first public preview of Linux GUI applications on Windows 10 – so we wasted no time in taking it for a spin around the block. The ability to run GUI applications on Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 is not new – enthusiasts have been able to run them via separately installed X server utilities for years …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile on macOS

By pure coincidence the Microsoft employee currently leading the Homebrew package manager for macOS has kindly been removing X11 and FUSE support from the Homebrew repositories.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile on macOS

Wait, MS is involved with brew?

Thanks for the heads up. What about MacPorts?

I was just looking at possible exporting some Linux app windows via X11, but it's been *years* since I have done this - actually, call it decades - as I've been busy with other things so I have to start from scratch..

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

There will be complaints from the Linux hardcore, but I think it's a good thing, on the whole. Not everyone can work in 100% Linux day to day, and it's nice to be able to use bits of it.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

It finally happened, 2021 is the year of Linux on the desktop!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, it's just a Windows desktop, though....

1. Roland6 Silver badge

> just a Windows desktop

This isn't just any Windows desktop, it's a Microsoft Windows desktop...

With clipboard and unconstrained Window positioning, expect the "Windows" desktop to morph into a Linux desktop. Remember MS don't have to announce anything until circa 2025 when W10 notionally goes EoL...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And who would have thought it would be brought to us by of Microsoft?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

It's not there yet but it's an opportunity.

Most corporate PCs are standardized via a corporate disk image which is Windows. Their ecosystem is set up to configure, administer, and maintain Windows. If they support any Linux installations it is in conjunction with an enterprise support contract like RHEL.

This allows them to support their Linux users through their Windows ecosystem. Once it is in place, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered enterprise support for one or more specific distros.

Developers should view this as an opportunity to demonstrate that some Linux applications should be used in place of the Windows application. Although replacing Office is a long shot :(

2. Mage Silver badge
      Windows

Not everyone can work in 100% Linux day to day

Win 10 offers the SAME VM to consumers for incompatible Windows programs that Linux OS users use to run XP and Win7.

It also runs any version of Linux.

Also there is 32 bit and 64 bit WINE and even DOSbox for Win3.x 16 bit.

I agree some people have to run Windows boot. But I had Linux programmes in the Start Menu on NT 4.0 and XP via Services for Unix and a 3rd Party X-Windows server that integrated well to Explorer.

I gave it up when I upgraded to having a 64 bit CPU desktop with VM support. I was then running 32 bit XP and a 64 bit Ubuntu with an Oracle SQL in the VM. You CAN run a 64 bit OS in a VM on a 32 bit OS if the CPU supports it.

Now I only boot Linux Mint and use Wine or VM for Windows applications. Also browser can be more important for some people now. Thankfully Silverlight is in death throws.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There will be complaints from the Linux hardcore..."

I think it's the Window's users that are complaining, not Lin/Mac/BSD users. I know I'm not switching to Windows just because someone has QT or whatever working... I mean for real? Understand Microsoft removes the software that causes bugs, which is their own software thus leaving very little to supply themselves. Windows users might/should be noticing this, thus some developers seemed inclined to help MIcrosoft's OS.

It's kind of crazy to walk into a BestBuy or whatever and use a modern barebones Win10 laptop as it has absolutely nothing on it besides spyware, literally spyware'd down to the kernel level. This is especially sad considering it's supposed to be a "Desktop" distro and not yet another definition for a virus scanner.

1. J27

Not really, the Windows faithful would never use this and therefore why would they ever care?

3. Jusme

I worry...

...that this is how Microsoft are going to monetise Linux and Linux applications via their enterprise agreements. I can see a rule in large enterprises that the base OS must always be Windows, suitable licensed and paid for, even if you have mission-critical Linux applications to run. No native Linux allowed (ner ner Red Hat...)

It also perhaps explains why the Wayland display server has been pushed so hard in some quarters...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I worry...

Plenty of other companies have monetised Linux, what's wrong with MS doing the same? Anyway, no matter what they do, MS can'ttake it away from anyone else.

1. martyn.hare

Meanwhile.. Intel and AMD are rubbing their hands together, knowing anyone who isn't using an 8th Gen or equivalent processor will get performance issues due to Virtualization Based Security (VBS) which seems to get switched on the moment people put on the prerequisites for trying this.

2. StargateSg7

After running Linux and Linux apps for literally DECADES now, Windows Server and Desktop are STILL a waaaaaaaaaay better end-user experience for working professionals in ANY occupation! There is just soooooooo much that makes proper and ocmmon sense in Windows over MacOS, iOS, Android, etc.

Just the simple WINDOWS FILE MANAGER is so obvious to me yet I can only get a REALLY GOOD ONE on Windows itself (or on our own internal OS software!). Just because I have o spend $60 USD for a per copy Windows 10 Enterprise site licence does not negate the fact that I am SAVING thousands of USD per user per year NOT having to go over and explain SUDO or command line piping parameters MULTIPLE TIMES to people who just want to install programs and make backup copies of their documents or name their external disks in a meaningful manner! Hmmmmm spend $60 vs a few thousand PER USER in support costs -- What would YOU do as an IT admin or CTO?

When Linux developers FINALLY get their over-swollen programming-oriented heads out of their derrieres, they can FINALLY GET OVER the fact that Microsoft actually DOES MAKE GREAT OS software and end-user applications! Don't try and beat them! JOIN THEM and make some money for yourselves while you are at it!

v

1. ecofeco Silver badge

You've not used Linux in years decades, have you?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Do we really have to use the Joke icon before people understand sarcasm?

2. UKHobo

In my experience, Windows 10 is a user experience mess. The Windows 10 explorer.exe file manager is a pain in the arse to use, it lacks features that are present in many linux GUI file managers i.e. tabs.

At the CLI I'll take Bash over Powershell thanks.

I imagine that the working professional users you're referring to are not software developer end-users. What you've said could be semi-relevant for people who never stray from working inside Outlook and a Word / Excel file all day long but don't try and present Windows as an operating system that is great for all use cases because it's not, it is riddled with issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

I think its a parody ...

Have a gander around the MS technet forums. I use uBlackList in me browser to clean up Goog results when searching for Windows related stuff. Otherwise you get 100s of suggestions to run sfc /scannow or reinstall your OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I remember a comment from Stargatesg7 a while back that I also thought was parody, then I check his/her comment history and decided I wasn’t so sure...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think that day came a bit back. I work for a firm that has increasingly locked down the desktop as they moved from XP to Windows 7 to 10. After the XP to 7 upgrade we found that it took 2-4 weeks of waiting on request tickets before a developer could actually check-in code. The one useful Win 7 app they allowed was the VMWare player. :-) (You see where this is going). We built an Ubuntu image and started deploying it with a java IDE, svn / git clients, HSQL, etc. and voila: New devs were committing code after a day or so. Since then they've embraced Macs for developers, which are not quite as locked down, so corporate solved their own problem in a different way, but those Ubuntu VMs were a godsend. Anon, since I still work for the same firm.

4. J27

No, WSL is mostly a play for software developers who need to deploy to Linux VMs. This allows them to build and test everything on windows (even in VS if they want). Even Microsoft is deploying their own web applications to Linux hosts now so it makes sense. They want Windows on the desktop to remain even after all the servers are running Linux.

I can see how WSL could be useful for sysadmins, but they're not the target audience. General users aren't even going to care about WSL.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comparisons please? Benefits please?

How much total memory and disk space is needed on a W10 machine to make all the stuff described in this article work seamlessly?

......compared with a vanilla Ubuntu install? .....compared to a vanilla W10 install?

And if the numbers are large, why would anyone go through the hoops described in the article simply to get gedit to run?

1. Filippo Silver badge

Re: Comparisons please? Benefits please?

Chances are the resources required are greater than either, and I don't see how it could be otherwise given that the described setup is basically running both. I really don't think anyone, anywhere, has ever attempted to claim that WSL would be more efficient that straight Linux.

Obviously, you would not do this just to run gedit. But the point of the article is to demonstrate how WSL works, not how some big and complex piece of Linux software works.

Also, the ability to run simple things is a necessary stepping stone on the way to the ability to run complex things. If, every time a system got to that stage, people said "it only runs simple things, so it's pointless", we would not have systems that run complex things.

2. oiseau
      Facepalm

Benefits?

None.

And if the numbers are large, why would anyone ...

Why?

Hmm ...

Stupidity?

A "Look Ma !!! ...

I made it can run Linux apps in W10 !" moment?

Who knows ...

All this MS crap is not being pushed to solve anyone's problems.

You can run both Linux and a Windows VM at the same time in a 15 year old Linux host (eg: my Sun Ultra 24 Q9550 + 8Gb RAM) without having to jump through any hoops.

There's a lot of moolah behind all this.

Those of us who have been around IT for ~25 years know what it is all about.

O.

1. FIA Silver badge

Benefits?

The benefits are being able to run Linux apps alongside Windows, just because that's no use to you doesn't mean it's no use to anyone else. Many developers have cross platform workflows these days.

You can run both Linux and a Windows VM at the same time in a 15 year old Linux host (eg: my Sun Ultra 24 Q9550 + 8Gb RAM) without having to jump through any hoops.

What's you're point here? You can do the reverse too, so what?

This is a preview of an upcoming feature... the hoops are because it's a preview. When it's released to everyone you'll have to tick a box in a dialog to install WSL, then download a distro from the MS store, it's not exactly rocket science.

There's a lot of moolah behind all this.

A commercial company, trying to make money??? Whatever next. It's a good job all that linux development is done alturistically, for free.

Those of us who have been around IT for ~25 years know what it is all about.

No, you're clinging onto a view of a company that doesn't exist anymore. 25 years ago MS were evil, trying to destroy compettion through monopolistic practices.

I'm not convinced this is true anymore. Go and read the WSL blog, it's fascinating, and a real look at how Microsoft has changed.

For example:

We also wanted WSLg to be open-source and ensure that all communications between Linux, running in the WSL 2 virtual machine, and the Windows host followed either documented standard or defined in open-source code available on both end of the communication channel. No secret sauce allowed.

That's not the 90s Microsoft.

Flipping heck, they've built the whole thing atop of Weston, they could've just built a quick and dirty X server, they've open sourced the bits of RDP they added to the Weston RDP backend. To quote further...

At the moment, we’re building these components from a project mirror while we work on upstreaming our contribution back to the respective projects. Our goal is to eventually build WSLg from purely upstream components, making WSLg a great and simple production environment for folks wanting to tinker with Wayland or Weston.

That's not the MS I grew to hate 25 years ago. Or if it is, they're much better at disguising it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@fia:

> No, you're clinging onto a view of a company that doesn't exist anymore. 25 years ago MS were evil,

> trying to destroy compettion through monopolistic practices.

True, and, personally, I don't think companies "change their spots" much. If you think they're changing, well, marketing!

> That's not the MS I grew to hate 25 years ago. Or if it is, they're much better at disguising it.

Like intel screwing amd, microsoft for me: never apologised (or, even better, never 'admitted guilt' -- how often has a company done that!): never admitted => won't invest, either time or money.

Sorry guys, but if you can avoid the cancers but you don't, well maybe you're part of the problem.

Apologies if that comes across too strong but, damn, those two companies could've done so much better for the industry by taking a higher moral ground.

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
          Devil

Re: That's not the MS I grew to hate 25 years ago.

The MS you grew to hate 25 years ago was all about Embrace, Extend, Extinguish..

Has that changed?

MS are now making money off the backs of open source devs, while at the same time wresting control away from the open source community. And when they bought both LinkedIn and GitHub, they bought control over the reputations of individuals in that community.

They are just as evil as they were back in the Bill Gates days, but it's easier for them to hide because every tech company and its dog is doing the 'evil' thing now.. Even Google dropped 'don't be evil' from its corporate constitution. Amazon, Facebook, Google and even governments such as the CCP are all competing to see who can be the most evil these days, but Microsoft were evil before it was cool.

3. iron Silver badge

Because running gedit isn't the point and the hoops won't exist (or will be much simpler) once WSLg stops being a beta.

The point is to be able to run Linux apps that don't exist on Windows or to be able to test code that is developed on Windows but deployed on Linux.

1. Skiron

"he point is to be able to run Linux apps that don't exist on Windows or to be able to test code that is developed on Windows but deployed on Linux."

Sorry, but what the hell does that statement mean? Why would you develop Linux code (NOT apps, PROGRAMS) on Windows to be deployed on Linux? Phhhh.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because most of one's co-workers only do productivity stuff, so corporate IT can give everyone the same basic kit and the devs can do their real work seamlessly.

For quite a while now I've been working this way - as I don't do GUIs - the real work happens on a Linux server on the other side of the world, and I use VS code on the work laptop to edit the files.

2. ckm5

Tons of people work like this - it is a major use-case for using MacOS (e.g. unix underneath).

The only people that don't recognize this are hermits in caves....

3. Richard Plinston

> Why would you develop Linux code (NOT apps, PROGRAMS) on Windows to be deployed on Linux?

Because cloud customers use Linux VMs. "about 50 percent of all Azure compute cores are Linux."

MS wants those developers to use Windows.

4. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

"And if the numbers are large, why would anyone go through the hoops described in the article simply to get gedit to run?"

Especially since, if you are a huge gedit fanboi or fangirl etc, a native Windows version of gedit is available on choclatey.

Are there any desktop apps that are available on Linux, but not on Windows? Do they work reliably on WSL?

Yes I know about server and command line stuff. There is plenty of that on Linux that isn't available on Windows. If you want to run server stuff, just use a regular Hyper-V virtual machine.

5. Roland6 Silver badge

>And if the numbers are large...

Depends on what you mean by 'large'. With AMD Ryzen 7 laptops with 16GB RAM and SSD, available for circa £1000 (inc. vat), I suspect it won't be long before this is the norm for business-grade laptops - including those with Intel 10th and/or 11th generation chips inside...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ohh, start menu integration. I bet Wine (and its slightly agressive default apps integration) will have fun with that ;)

"No I wanted notepad, not notepad (Ubuntu)!" Join the club ;)

1. sgp

Like the Redmondian Clowns did when they decided a user typing "Internet" in the start menu should be diverted to Edge instead of IE.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Like the Redmondian Clowns did when they decided a user typing "Internet" in the start menu should be diverted to Edge instead of IE.

In my experience, Microsoft have decided that if you type “Internet” in the start menu, you actually, obviously want to search the web for that word.

Searching the Internet for “Internet” is not quite as bad as googling “google”, but still risky.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Linux

Hardly innovation?

I was demoing this to classes I was giving in 1999. MS Services for Unix, linux applications and a 3rd party X-Window server.

But since January 2017 I wiped the Windows boot & win NTFS partition on my dual boot laptop and made it ext4, and mounted it in home.

I run a choice of VMs on an external 3.5" USB drive. I have 32 bit Wine for some old Windows programs that don't work on 64 bit Win7 or Win10 and some that do. Can't remember when I last ran one.

So it's nice that MS is now "supporting" Linux instead of calling it a cancer. It won't affect much except maybe some devs in corporate places that insist the PC must only boot Windows.

7. Skiron
    Alert

Why?

Why?

The only thing I can see here is MS trying to woo GNU/Linux users off actually using GNU/Linux.

Then once that happens...

Why? would a GNU/Linux developer want to develop any GNU/Linux code on MS Windows anyway?

Why? What benefit does it do to go through all the shite and crappiness?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

I disagree - Microsoft has pretty much given up on making money from Windows, instead they want to maintain the dominance of MS Office (for which licenses are very lucrative) in corporates.

Well, apart from that, they can get to sell the corporates nice expensive Windows licenses.

They definitely aren't looking to convert Linux desktop users... where we may see conversion effort is Linux based cloud -> Azure.

2. ckm5

A huge amount of developers work in either Windows or MacOS as there are a lot of tools that only work on those platforms. Whether that is good or bad is largely a religous debate, the reality is that it is a fact of life.

The result is a lot of people write code on Win/Mac that eventually runs on Linux - Python, Java, Node, Go, etc are all x-platform and not Linux specific.

1. smonty1

Exactly, overnight Windows becomes *the* developer platform supporting the latest laptops. Linux desktop has 1-2% market share with slow support for the latest HW. Devs favour Macbooks because of the underlying linux like OS but have to play the Apple tax for last gen HW... U also get the opportunity to play some games too...

3. FIA Silver badge

None of the developers you describe will be affected by this.

Similarly, no Windows diehard is going to be suddently a Linux convert because of this.

However, there are other developers, who just want to do their job, with whatever tools they have to hand, and for those, this is useful. (Heck, these days I work for a MS shop, and still find it useful to have proper linux available occasionally, admittedly still WSL1, but there you go).

I personally use a BSD as my server OS and Windows/macOS as my desktops, because I dislike X, and I can get what I want to do done in either. This WSL stuff is interesting to me.

4. Richard Plinston

> Why? would a GNU/Linux developer want to develop any GNU/Linux code on MS Windows anyway?

They don't, but MS wants to force corporates to make these developers use Windows. Clouid users run Linux VMs and developers write Linux programs to run in those VMs. MS wants those developers to use Windows to ensure 100% Windows usage in corporate sites.

Perhaps there will be some tweaks in Azure so that the Linux VMs will only run programs developed with WSL.

1. bazza Silver badge

MS can't force any company to do anything. But they can sell them tech that is potentially useful to them.

And why would MS want to restrict the Azure market size by limiting it to WSL-developed software only? And how would they even do that? Software built in a WSL environment is actually built in Ubuntu or Fedora or whatever distro(s) you've chosen to run in WSL. They're exactly the same binaries as you'd get installing the distro natively, from the same repos. The only way MS could distinguish WSL built software is if the distro maintainers put the detector and flags into the tool chain themselves.

5. DrXym

"Why? would a GNU/Linux developer want to develop any GNU/Linux code on MS Windows anyway?"

Because it's convenient to have a single machine that targets two platforms. I have code I need to compile / test on Windows and on Linux. Now I could run two machines side by side and maybe hook up an NFS so they share the source dir, and then maybe edit code on the one machine and have a console to the other to do it.

Or I could just type "bash" in Windows and up starts Ubuntu in seconds and I can do it that way. And that's what I choose to do because it's fast and convenient.

6. bazza Silver badge

Seems pretty strange to say they're trying to woo people off GNU/Linux by giving them a VM in which it is extremely convenient to run, er, GNU/Linux...

1. Binraider Silver badge

I do believe that is called trying to plug the holes in the sinking ship.

Desktop user statistics for Linux remain stubbornly low; many PC nerds will do a dual boot but end up reverting back for "some program". In my case, some program means losing out on Propellerhead Reason; and obviously, games. I'm probably amongst the minority that has raged on Win 8 and 10 so heavily that I'm prepared to sacrifice that "some program" and make Linux the daily driver. I no longer buy games without either official Linux support; or confirmed workarounds via Proton. And I can assure you Reason isn't a cheap program either. Even they are starting to switch to the subscription model too... Ugh.

Wine and Lutris obviously do similar jobs but, as they say, results may vary. In my experience to date, that is code for being decidedly unreliable. So is Proton, but at least configuring steam and proton is point and click.

Here's a random thought. If developers prefer developing on Linux; is it plausible they would only release "one" build of a program i.e. the Linux one, instead of two. And rely on WSL to get it to fly? Is there some sort of reverse-cancer model where Windows is what's attacked?

7. Roland6 Silver badge

>Why? would a GNU/Linux developer want to develop any GNU/Linux code on MS Windows anyway?

Use the other end of the telescope - there are millions of more users of Windows; it is these MS are wanting to keep.

Remember, MS's problem isn't the Linux users per se, it's the steady stream of defections that at some point has the (real) potential to become a flood. Particularly if (or is it when?) MS Office (including Project and Visio) runs on both Windows and Linux...

8. ecofeco Silver badge

YO! We heard you like operating systems!

So we added an operating system to your operating with another operating system!

- Pimp My Operating System

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YO! We heard you like operating systems!

How long would it take to bring a modern ~4GHz/16Gb RAM/1Tb SSD system to its knees by installing $OS1 on the bare metal, running $OS2 in a VM, installing $OS1 inside that VM, $OS2 inside that third VM, etc until the whole thing shit itself?

"It's VM's all the way down!"

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: YO! We heard you like operating systems!

>How long would it take to bring a modern...

Probably a lot longer than you think.

A client is running 4 WinServ VMs on WinServ Hyper-V on a 5 year old dual Xeon server, which in todays world rubs shoulders with benchmarks for performant desktops and are left standing by 4K video editing workstations.

As part of a DR investigation I've loaded this server on to a laptop (Ryzen 7 etc.) and had their circa 40 Office users sign in...

What will be interesting is to see how performant an RDS VM in which users can run WSLg applications is...

9. AdmFubar

Given this... what do i really need windows for, if MS has given up on itself?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Linux

"what do i really need windows for".

Good question, solved it more than 20 years ago, I don't need windows.

But from Microsoft's point, using Linux means that Linux cannot kill Microsoft.

A bit of the the "if you cannot beat them, join them".

And Yes, I might be a bit optimistic in relation to the "Embrace, extend, and extinguish".

One thing is for sure, Microsoft cannot any longer just whistle and look the other way regarding Linux.

2. NetBlackOps

Far too many of my engineering tools are Windows only.

10. hsmyers

What about existing WSL files, code, etc.?

Does the new kernel and all of the rest mean that you trash your existing environment? I've built up quite a pile of code and development apps that I don't particularly want to destroy. Did this test run with an existing dev environment? What happened if so?

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: What about existing WSL files, code, etc.?

You can run multiple environments. Not tried it, but the help file gives command line options like:

--list, -l [Options]

Lists distributions.

Options:

--all

List all distributions, including distributions that are currently

being installed or uninstalled.

--running

List only distributions that are currently running.

--quiet, -q

Only show distribution names.

--verbose, -v

Show detailed information about all distributions.

--set-default, -s <Distro>

Sets the distribution as the default.

--distribution, -d <Distro>

Run the specified distribution.

11. Herby

I'll believe they are SERIOUS when...

I see Microsoft Office running on Linux and supported there.

Until then, I'll watch the movie, and eat my popcorn.

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: I'll believe they are SERIOUS when...

They're serious. Not stupid.

There's no market for Office on Linux that would be worth the investment. (How many Linux desktop users are there... how many would refuse to run Office as a matter of principle?)

There's a market for SQL server on Linux... hence the investment.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: I'll believe they are SERIOUS when...

TBH, if I could easily/simply/seamlessly run full-fat Office on Linux, I'd switch to Linux full time. That's why they won't do it.

12. mark l 2 Silver badge

As a Linux Mint user as my daily driver its interesting to see MS adding Linux GUI support to Windows, but I do question how many people need to run Linux GUI apps for software that don't have a Windows native version? As the amount of Windows software far outweighs the amount GUI based Linux apps.

So the only real use case I can think of is perhaps it would be useful to a developer writing a program that is going to be ported to Windows and Linux which they could test both versions side by side with one OS. But then its hard for me to understand why MS have spent time adding that functionality, for such as small subset of users.

Unless of course Microsoft have something up their sleeves for releasing some Linux GUI software in the near future and it helps their own interests having this functionality available.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Such a developer is probably also going to want to target MacOS. So you would want a Mac with virtual machines for Windows and Linux on it.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Linux desktop deployment is larger than most people give it credit for. While small in comparison to Windows and MacOS, it's still an not insignificant number.

Then there are Android phones, which IS huge.

13. Gerard Krupa

With Hyper-V, everything is a VM

"These are available in preview from AMD, Intel, and Nvidia – but will not help when the host machine is itself a VM."

Hyper-V is a type-1 hypervisor. Once you enable it to be able to run WSL2, even your base Windows becomes a VM. It just happens to have automatic PCI passthrough for things like your GPU.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: With Hyper-V, everything is a VM?

I think you'll find that actually everything's a drum.

14. Panicnow

This is the end of Windows

Why would Microsoft keep spending on developing Windows, when all the money is in hosted services? The smart thing to do is to migrate to Linux, and keep the app and hosted revenues. Revenue from Windows licences don't pay for the maintenance.

15. itzman

Sad that its all the wrong way round.

I dont want linux apps running on windows, I want windows apps running on linux...

16. Dwarf

I suppose the good thing about this is that it goes another way to run a notepad and a paint app without having to resort to their store download - just run the Linux version of it instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like