back to article BOFH: Postman BOFH's Special Delivery Service

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns WE'RE BACK in the office – and I feel like I 'm only now just starting to feel the effects of COVID. ancient monitor growing flowers in garden The average number of user calls – refreshingly low over the period of lockdown (a time that I like to refer to as "the break") – have …

1. DJV Silver badge

Ah, a new BOFH!

The best cure for (coming out of) lockdown blues!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've actually just been doing the opposite - sending back to the office everything that I've accumulated over the last year - it's been a great way of getting rid of all the crap *I've* accumulated over the last 30 years and get the company to pay the recycler ;-)

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I donated some of my old gear to my colleague's Museum! Apple Powerbook 12' still runs like a champ!

3. Coastal cutie
    Thumb Up

Cures the Friday blues

Ah, a new episode of the BOFH - the perfect antidote to crappy meetings and some users that I could do with borrowing Simon's carpet and caustic to deal with.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Cures the Friday blues

I could do with borrowing Simon's carpet and caustic to deal with.

I don't think it is borrowing when you use it and can't return it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I used to have a bit of 2x4 with a couple of rusty nails in it. It did look like it had been used, with red and brown marks on the nail end, but was only ever waved in the direction of a couple of staff members.

I "leant" my 2x4 to someone one day, and they went away with it, never to return. the person they went to see left the company at the same time ...

I didn't ask questions, but I did miss it for a long time.

1. IsaEirias

Back when I did cable installs I had a flogger made of RG6. The ends had been very carefully stripped and bent into hooks- that had what looked suspiciously like bit's of flesh stuck to them.

Funny how many customers started listening to what I was saying when that casually got shifted out of the way to grab another tool from the truck.

2. stiine Silver badge
        Flame

Who says it can't be returned...in some form or fashion.

With that said, anyone who gives his/her home address to the BOFH is living very, very dangerously.

4. Ironclad

Still laughing..

...at the Microvax labelled Fragile Audio Equipment.

Excellent. Brightened my morning.

1. Tom 7

Re: Still laughing..

Surprised to find I was hoping it would be mailed to me. God I could have done with one of those in 1987 and still want it even though I cannot for the life of me remember why.

1. Trygve Henriksen

I wouldn't mind one, either. Of course, I collect vintage computers...

1. Geoff May (no relation)

@Trygve Can we have your contact details, please? I'm sure I can send you a large number of items ... none are working but they are vintage and used to be called "computers".

1. Trygve Henriksen

I'm sorry, but most of the stuff I have is in working condition...

Well, a couple of portable computers, supposedly once used on an English Navy ship doesn't work, but with 3 of them, I might be able to get one to work...

I think one of my SUN workstations need a new HDD.

One of my Psion S3a machines has an issue with the battery compartment, and the same with the S5...

My Canon laptop with built-in inkjet is broke... literally. Crappy hinges...

If you have something nice and working, then I can be found as Gadgetman over on the berlingoforum.com

Just create a user, and respond to one of my many posts about my car. It's old and French, there's alwys something...

2. Borg.King

I collect vintage computers...

Anyone on here who doesn't?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Collect" might be a bit strong. "Never throwing shit away" probably describe most readers :-)

3. Paul_Murphy

Not Trygve of the treehouse? http://www.trygve.com/index.html

1. Trygve Henriksen

That's Trygve Lode. Cool guy, but not me.

2. MCPicoli

Same here, I wouldn't mind being sent this kind of "trash". My wife, on the other hand...

1. Hot Diggity

I used to have 4 old Sun workstations in my home office.

My wife came in one day and looked at them stacked on my desk.

"Uh oh", I thought.

"Four workstations?" she asked. "Don't you think you should get a rack for those?"

Still very happily married...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Remote Onboarding'

Thanks to Covid, I was 'remotely onboarded' to my new role and got shipped a big box with a laptop and lots of junk including 2 keyboards and 4 dell laptop power adapters. I suspect my new boss was using me as a place to dump some of the extra stuff he did not need... Everything is still in the box apart from the laptop and I have added a couple of bits of my own junk ready to return it on my first day in the office. Do you think they will mind receiving 2 power packs for laptops I have not owned in years and ink cartridges for a printer that broke 3 years ago?

1. herman

Re: 'Remote Onboarding'

Just remember to poke a teenie tiny little hole in each of the old laser toner cartridges before you slowly and carefully close the box.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Evil genius is still genius.

2. Zarno
        Devil

Bonus points if some battery powered kit in there has a fan, and just so happens to have the wakeup timer set for just after or slightly before the delivery window.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Not needed. The parcel will get plenty "all shook up" by the couriers. Don't overcomplicate the plan. That just adds extra points of failure.

2. Sgt_Oddball

Flog the ink cartridges on a certain auction website - got £50+ doing the same from ones for SWMBO's old printer that died two house moves ago.

That said it's when you come across old networking kit like the dual socket network fora specific storage server that I don't own..made by a manufacture 12+ years earlier got bought by Dell...

Or the 5 port 100Mbit switch that's never going to get used again (but more than happy to loan if required).

As for the old RBDIMM's, old AMD K6, celaron's, and socket 771 xeon's no-one seems interested to take it off my hands.

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

Depends which 771 Xeon....they can be made to work in 775 mobos...

1. Sgt_Oddball

Fast dual core models, rather than the more desirable quad cores so not much demand to jam them into a 775 mobo.

There's also the issue that most 775 socket motherboards have died by now owing to the capacitor plague at the time.

At any rate there's not much demand for them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We had some ink cartridges returned to IT "in case they're useful".

According to the box, the expiry date was 10 years ago

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ink cartridges don't really expire, as long as they haven't dried out, they're fine.

1. FeRDNYC

Hah! Not now that they've all got little tracking chips in them. Now they can just refuse to work if they're past a certain date.

(Which, in fairness, is perfectly on brand for printing technology. Refusing to work under basically any circumstances is the standard consumer inkjet printer's prime directive.)

6. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Yep

"(a time that I like to refer to as "the break")"

Exactly. A full 12 months of (mostly) "Work from home" in sweats and socks. It's the break I've been working 30 years for.

Pardon me while I apply Crisco to squeeze post-Covid Dave into my pre-Covid bluejeans.

1. deadlockvictim

Re: Yep

For Rightpondians unfamiliar with what Crisco is, here is a link from the Huffinton Post

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/meghan-telpner/what-is-crisco-made-of_b_3745634.html

I first came across the term in Calvin & Hobbes and assumed that it was some sort of cooking fat (Calvin had put it in is here to model it). Whenever I hear about it today, it seems to be used as a lubricant.

1. Jay 2

Ha C&H is where I first encountered Crisco too! Thanks for the link, I always thought it was something lile Lard...

1. Swarthy

Think of Crisco as "Vegan Lard", and you will only be wrong in ways that do not matter.

1. Tom 7

Vegan lard? Something that makes you put on weight but has no taste?

2. J. Cook Silver badge
        Pint

It's used as both.

Just remember to keep separate containers if you go that route.

(needs a beer now to expunge that from short term memory)

2. CountCadaver Silver badge

Certain gentlemen were known to use crisco to insert certain appendages into other's orifices I'm told...

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

A s a road warrior of 30+ years and still going, I've worked out in the field throughout the pandemic. I'm already missing the lockdowns. Those wide empty roads were beautiful to behold (and more so to drive on). It's almost back to "old normal" out there now.

(notwithstanding the the illness and bereavements so many have suffered)

7. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Unhappy

Peace and quiet

I'm in my newly constructed (May 2020) home office/workroom, with plenty of space, and all the mod cons. As a bonus, it's much quieter than the open plan office I left a year ago, and I don't have cow-orkers on either side of me.

The Bad News is that The Powers That Be have announced "RTO" (Return To Office) will happen soon, and we need to prepare the office for "hoteling", aka "hot-desking", by taking all our personal stuff home. So, I get to commute to work, find my assigned (for the day) desk, unpack all my personal stuff, set it up, get my work done, pack all my stuff up, clean the desk for the next punter, and commute home.

Not loving it. Not one bit. Continuing to work from home seems like a much better idea. We shall see.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Peace and quiet

Yeah, the hotdesk thing will be an issue at my workplace as well. I don't like it. But considering the office space was barely big enough 1BC (before corona), and we hired new people, it will be needed. At least I can be closer to my team! Two new colleagues while we were WFH. Need to grab a beer with them as soon as we are back in the office.

But by Krom, I already hate the prospect of hotdesking.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I'm retired, now, so it no longer matters to me, but I'd just like to state for the record that hotdesking is the most ridiculous, unfriendly, painful, inconvenient, annoying (other adjectives are available) idea ever hatched from the mind of an MBA.

/rant

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And that's against strong competition.

2. Chris G

@ Neil Barnes

The only part I disagree with is your allusion to MBAs having a mind.

Hot bunking on a submarine at war or even on a top end racing yacht makes sense but anyone who thinks saving money on work space will pay in spite of increasing the stress and discomfort levels on workers, is a moron.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Fair point well made. I use the term only because there has to be something there if only to manage basic day to day operations like breathing.

1. Tom 7

I have a friend who did an MBA in her thirties. First person I've met who came out if more educated than when they went in. I did wonder having a look at the course work for it and the PPE degree to see if there was something in their that can be used as a peaceful weapon that can reduce a country to complete imbeciles and then realised its already been done!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"anyone who thinks saving money on work space will pay in spite of increasing the stress and discomfort levels on workers, is a moron."

Sadly, there's no shortage of those in manglemnt.

3. Adelio

I plan to be retired by this time next year, if they introduce hot desking i may retire earlier.

2. Adelio

HotDesking, I cringe at the thought. Whoever thought it was a good idea should be shot.

2. Zarno

OUCH.

Maybe tell the powers that be that you object to arbitrarily coming in contact with other peoples possible contagions?

Something something telephone sanitizers and Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B.

"I think I'm running a bit of a temperature"

Without explaining that it's your laptop that's running a bit hot.

1. Zarno
          Flame

There's a "thermal throttling" joke in there someplace, right next to the lime, carpet, and cattle prod.

2. Michael Habel

Ok but whats a Telephone? Is that anything like my Mobe? But, back in the dark days when Mr. Adams had to use a G1 Mac to type out his magnum opus?

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

Hot desking is an issue where management really ought to lead from the top. Introduce it first in the directors' offices.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

I remember a mate telling be about when his workplace implemented hot desking.

All was going smoothly (although disliked by mostly everyone) until some guy usually working at a client's premises had to spend a few days at the office. He got there and chose a nice place near a window. And did so the next day.

The place he chose was used everyday by one of the directors - who where also supposed to hot desk, at least in principle.

At the end of that week the company announced a change of policies and reserved a small area for people coming in one day or another while everybody else got fixed places.

Equality and all.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Didn't one of the big banks do that, last week. Sure I read something. Top floor being turned into meeting rooms and C suite types coming down to mix with the Plebs.

I distinctly remembering trying to bet someone it'd last 1 year max and probably less, but got no takers.

4. Dave K

The place my sister works at is doing this, only they've termed it "agile working" then they get irritated every time someone cuts through the jargon and refers to it (truthfully) as hot-desking.

1. rskurat
        Meh

<don't mention the war!>

5. FloridaBee

Here in southern US we were all sent home when my company was only days away from installing 500 staff into 2 floors of a totally open office plan designed to make the spread of diseases like Covid19 as easy as possible. The "cubes" have no walls or dividers in any direction, heads are barely 2 meters apart one direction and maybe 3 the other and one can walk down the aisle between two rows and tap shoulders on either side as they go. They spent a freaking fortune on this FUBAR and now have to either tear at least half of it out or only have half of the desks in use at any one time. We we already grousing about the issue with everyone having to shout over each other on the phones and I was worried about flu season, but no chance anyone in management would consider those things to be issues. There's a meeting next week to discuss RTO and everyone is pretty much telling "leadership" to get stuffed.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks like while there will be an 'RTO' it will not extend to all if you have a good reason not to commute. Since I am quite happy working in my home office and have no need to inhale the polluted space know as an open-plan office I consider that a good enough reason to continue the 'WFH' route.

Anon - because we all know manglement resent the idea of workers being allowed something which makes them happy and I would like to keep below the parapet

1. Number6

Being happy on company time is akin to stealing from the company, isn't it?

7. Andy A
      Happy

A company I worked for in the mid-80s had one office building (not mine) where hot-desking was the norm. If the people were not in early enough in the morning, they had to go out and sell something.

8. Sherrie Ludwig

The observation that hotdesking never extends to the C suite people, although they spend so much of their time in meetings not in their office, tells you what they actually think of hotdesking. Until they eliminate the "corner office suite" and grab a desk with the rest of us, not buying it.

1. Number6

I remember the boss apologising to us when he had an office built where he'd previously been open plan with the rest of us. A shift in company organisation meant he'd suddenly become the CEO rather than the local director and there are things that are required to be kept confidential. To be fair he kept his office door open as much as he could and was open to casual drop-ins if people had stuff they wanted to tell him.

8. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

I need a new keyboard.

It happened in the general vicinity of "late night front garden job"...

But not neessarily the intended front garden IME.

1. Chronos

All you really need is the acronym "NSR:" No signature required. It may even end up in the general vicinity, certainly the right county, of the boss' address. "Leave in shed which will be open" is ambiguous enough to get it delivered somewhere.

You know, this may well be the solution to e-waste. Every courier company in the country with a section of Dexion racking for holding boxes filled with Lexmark printers that never made it past the supplied cartridges, APC UPSen that have cooked their batteries (again) and old DLT drives.

9. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Back to work... NOPE

By Crom, I've got into the routine of monday = work, tuesday = at home (AKA being lazy in bed), wednesday = at work, thursday (repeat of tuesday) and friday = at work, bugg'ring orf early for a longish weekend...

If the decision is made to keep this schedule up, I'll be happy. Less money being spent on fuel and all that.

But if they decide to get us back to the orifice full time, then desperate measures need to be called for...

1. FeRDNYC

Re: Back to work... NOPE

Sadly, Crom cares not.

2. Dave 15

So I work 5, sometimes 6 or 7 days a week at home. I work online with my colleagues doing 'mob programming' because thats how we worked in the office and we can do this at home using that strange invention the internet (its good for lots of things including but NOT exclusively porn!)

3. JR
      Trollface

Here's the theme song for your work week. Play it loud!

https://youtu.be/geTSBFb_GR4

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

After

Removing keyboard from desk and announcing I was reading "BOFH" on the register , my co worker, who was in the area last time I was reading a BOFH story, decided to clear off... however in doing so, hes knocked over his coffee onto his keyboard.

Hence icon

In other news... I have a new PFY to train up.....

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: After

I gots a new PFY starting on Monday...

good times!

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: After

I've been training one since February, he's about ready to solo! Work without a net! I need a vacation from all this every other day in the office, it's killing me!

11. Zarno
    Coffee/keyboard

BZZZZZZZ. Ding!

"[T]he third phone had some battery issue which looked a lot like it'd been put in a 1,200W inverter microwave on high for 25 minutes. But actually, it was only 20."

For reasons that are hard to explain, that one takes the cake.

And the rest is pure gold, as usual.

Icon because I was actually drinking coffee while reading that line, and nearly painted my M13 in a lovely shade of 6F4E37.

12. chivo243 Silver badge

Queen's portrait on them

I've found that will solve most problems, no questions asked! Later in the week the courier was back asking if we had more 'Jobs' wink nudge, say no more! The office and storeroom have never looked cleaner!

1. FeRDNYC

Re: Queen's portrait on them

"What, like photos of Freddie Mercury?" </American>

13. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Hmmm. Possibilites

I wonder if the process could be modified for clearing out 30+ years of junk from my cellar

14. arachnoid2
    Pint

Funny how.......

Its essential to work from home and when you get to prefer it, then its essential you come back to work in a stuffy office. No more getting beer from fridge before "important" team video call , Init Bro

15. NG87

satan @ google

"It wasn't just me – my daughter emailed santa@google.com before Christmas and didn't get an answer."

"In actual fact she emailed satan@google.com," the PFY says, digging further into the Sent Items.

"So at least she got the domain name right," I chip in. "Anyway, it's not working."

Brilliant!!!

16. Spanners Silver badge
    Alert

Agile/HotDesking

Does sharing mice and keyboards contravene Covid-19 protocols?

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: Agile/HotDesking

Yes, yes, it do violate several protocols, including the 4th protocol and the Geneva protocol.

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Agile/HotDesking

It does, so you will have to lug yours into the office and back home.

17. David Roberts
    Paris Hilton

Late night front garden job

Ah, the romantic memories!

At least, I assume that was what the description meant.

Better say no more in case I get myself into trouble.

18. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The follow up: the beancounter's revenge

I know of quite a few companies that happily bought, issued but didn't log a lot of equipment. Note this doesn't include essential IT supplies such as the battery chiller (beer fridge); dashboard panopticon (120" borderless TV); network-phase testers (cattle prods); flame retardant sheeting (carpet rolls); flame retarder (quick lime).

At some point the beancounters are going to want to know where those keyboards, monitors, webcams, headsets, etc. went…

1. the Jim bloke

Re: The follow up: the beancounter's revenge

Well, if they insist on forcing the issue, I guess they will have to see the equipment deployed...

19. J. Cook Silver badge

I am fortunate (and grateful) that senior management at [RedactedCo] hasn't ordered a full return to work for our specific team... yet. Probably because we've been able to keep up with Getting Stuff Done, including rolling out several new apps over the last year, and get some major projects done in the interim.

While I do have a work desk and it does get used on the occasion that I have to go into the office to Do Things, I'm kind of hoping that we at least get the option of either splitting between WFH and on-site or just stay with what we are doing now. The cynic in me suggests otherwise, though.

1. Dave 15

Frankly I am just going to refuse. Its ridiculous - the costs of travel both financially and environmentally are ridiculous. The cost to my health is also not sustainable - frankly I would think it reasonable today to sue a company insisting on a return to the office of failing in their duty of care. This year I have NOT had to go to the doctor with a serious lung infection because I havent been exposed to the coughs, sneezes and other diseases abounding in the office, trains etc.

Not only is the environment better off for the lack of polution from pointless commuting but look at how much land we can reclaim frmo pointless and badly insulated offices. The huge receptions, the massively tall ceilings, the continuous lighting, the heating and cooling continually fighting each other.

Yes I understand some people feel lonely - then get the fuck out of your bloody house and go and meet some people! Join a club, go to the gym, get a dog and take him for a walk, rediscover the pub in your village! Frankly the average software based office is a piss poor place for socialising given the huge proportion who are male, the number who dont understand basic hygiene and the ridiculous conversations, get out to the real world!

Add to this the cost savings to the company of not supporting offices, office desks, office managers, coffee machines, cleaners, lighting, space rent and any company being so STUPID and BONEHEADED as to require people in even 1 day a week and they wont be getting my effort.

As I said before my team and I MOB program using the internet and it WORKS, We have test harnesses, we have automated testing, we have build servers we do NOT EVER need to be in the bloody office. AND if there is an issue that we cant solve during the day one or sometimes the whole team will and do come back to it during the evening after dinner and solve it.

There is a song I remember....

Lucky lucky lucky me, I'm a lucky son of a gun, I work 8 hours, I sleep 8 hours it leaves 8 hours for fun!

Now lets do the realistic one for today...

I work 12 hours (because the dumb arsed boss promissed what we cant deliver), I drive 4 hours, I sleep 8 hours it leaves bugger all time for being a human!

2. Caver_Dave Silver badge
      Happy

My house and contents insurance reduced from £478.78 pa to £429.54 when I told them that I was working from home permanently.

Yet another silver lining.

20. earl grey
    Pint

'Remote Onboarding'

I'm sorry. I read that as "remote overboarding" - as the yanks say, "i lost all my xxx in a boating accident".

Drinks all around.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dump-and-run

"The hardest part of the process was convincing a courier to dump-and-run. However, a short negotiation involving some polymer sheets with the Queen's portrait on them seemed to sort that problem out."

Eh? Just use Hermes.

1. Michael Habel

Re: Dump-and-run

Absoulutely the worst carrier of them all.

1. Chronos
        Devil

Re: Dump-and-run

sed -e 's/Herm/Herp/'

FTFY

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Hold On A Second...

"My email only works sometimes"

Oddly enough, there does seem to be an inversely proportional relationship between ISP/server downtime windows and how important what I just decided to do is.

Late last night, for example, I was waiting for one of those 'we have sent you an email' messages to arrive because I was changing my password on a particular site. Normally, they arrive within a few seconds, but this one had a 60 second window on the parent page (the first time I've come across that) in order to allow you to type in the six-digit security code contained in the aforementioned email.

Naturally, the server decided it would send the message after 90 seconds just to yank my chain.

It took three re-sends to get one in time.

23. Blackjack Silver badge

So what happens when the guy comes the next day complaining that the "fancy new laptop" doesn't work, can't even connect to the Internet and definitely can't even use e-mail since is from like 1994 and did not even include a modem?

Does the BOFH swap it with a Windows XP computer only is not Windows XP but a Linux distro that looks like it?

24. FeRDNYC

Bringing home useless-to-them old equipment used to be my favorite thing about assisting people with their upgrades, since they always seemed to have too much money and a desire to replace perfectly-good devices with newer, perfectly-good devices. (I suppose "better", in many cases, depending how you look at it.) Whereas I always seem to have no money and the last time I paid for a brand-new anything was my recently-deceased printer, purchased back in 2006.

I say "used to be my favorite thing", because now my chickens have come home to roost. There's both a 17" Nokia 447w CRT screen and some model Asus 22" LCD display currently sitting in my closet, neither of which I really have any use for, but also neither of which I can get rid of... not without having to pay a recycling fee that's far more than I paid for the screens (which is nothing). So there they sit.

25. Dave 15

We should not be going into the office, we have proved we dont need to, we should tell the jerks where to get off, they dont need to prove their power by having us meekly sitting drining their third rate coffee and fifth rate tea having spent hours stuck in traffic poluting the planet and giving all those pesky greens an excuse to up the tax on us all once again to 'save the planet'

26. Number6

Clearly no BOFH at my place of employment, the office was due some new test equipment but as there was no one there to receive it, it's all on my workbench at home. I guess I'll have to take it in one day, although at least it's been used while in my care.

27. Ghostman

https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/crisco-house-slides-onto-the-market-in-macon/

here is the house the developer of Crisco built in my home town.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like