back to article Canonical and Microsoft get cosier with Active Directory integration in Ubuntu 21.04

Canonical's love-in with Microsoft has continued apace with the arrival of Ubuntu 21.04, replete with Active Directory integration. Optimisations for Microsoft's SQL Server are also inbound. As if to ram the point home, Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth said: "Native Active Directory integration and certified Microsoft SQL …

1. bazza Silver badge

PowerBroker?

Sounds like they're beginning to recreate some of the features of paid-for Pbis.

There is a market for this kind of thing, and it's interesting that it's beginning to take off in a major distro.

You can already do some quite cool things with sssd, like getting autofs maps from AD, distributing ssh public keys, user authentication of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AD login

I've been using one on my Linux boxes for about 10 years or so. I also have my corp email on Exchange (Evolution EWS).

Samba's winbind does the job of keeping your fluffy Kerby tickets bum fresh. Lovely!

3. fredesmite2

AD has been around for decade at least

for free

1. Tom 7

Re: AD has been around for decade at least

But you dont get MS support not having a clue how to help you either. For many PHBs the ability to pass the buck is worth a lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For many PHBs the ability to pass the buck is worth a lot.

And for management it's the actual prime motive to part with way more money than a product is worth.

2. bazza Silver badge

But what has not been done, to any great extent (for free), is to allow AD to store and manage *nix client settings. PBIS does quite a lot of that, but that part is not free.

Having Unix managed via AD, rather than through local settings, is an interesting thing!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish......

......once again with feeling.......

Oh and.....link: http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

1. TonyJ

Re: Embrace, Extend, Extinguish......

I believe (happy to be corrected) that MS are the biggest (or one of) contributor to open source and have been for a long time now... what have they extended? Where is the extinction attempt since they cut put the cancer that was Ballmer? I mean seriously... how would MS even begin to attempt to extinguish Linux now? It's just silly, sharing 21 year old documents and expecting them to be relevant now.

I know it'll be downvoted for this, but one of the biggest issues I have with Linux lovers on here is that many don't seem to able to move past the Microsoft - both products and the company itself - of 2 or 3 decades ago. And you still run the choice is good mantra, as long as that choice broadly aligns with your own...

If you have recent, actual, experience of their products and still don't like it etc then fine, and I respect that,but at least you're comparing apples with apples.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@TonyJ

Quote: "...how would MS even begin to attempt to extinguish Linux now?"

So, Tony, it's clear that you know all about the current corporate plans, the current strategic goals....in Redmond, WA. Please tell us more!

And of course you can also confirm that there are absolutely no staff on the Redmond payroll today with attitudes like the one clearly described by James Plamondon....absolutely none at all.

Quote: ".....don't seem to able to move past the Microsoft - both products and the company itself - of 2 or 3 decades ago..."

And of course, Tony, you can confirm that all Microsoft staff have also been able to "move past the Microsoft....of 2 or 3 decades ago".

So good to hear that so much at Redmond is so wonderful in 2021!!!

1. TonyJ

So... the flip side being show me your proof they exist.

No corporate is guilt free and I wasn't saying it. In fact if you read through my posts I've been very critical of MS at various times.

How about attacking the argument, not the person?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just the facts........

@TonyJ

Three requests for more detail........not three ad hominem attacks. Lighten up!

And what about your own characterisation of "linux lovers"? Just saying!!

1. Plest Silver badge

Re: Just the facts........

"...Linux lovers on here is that many don't seem..."

Not all, not every one of us, many. That doesn't even mean majority, simply a number and even then without adequate comparison to determine how large that would be. So lighten up there.

To a wider audience...

I love MS, Apple and Linux eco-systems, they all have their pros and cons, some do better than others at some things, some worse. It's all a rich tapestry and I'd prefer it if people simply stopped being so damned tribal about some things. I like Hyundai, Honda , Land Rover and BMW vehicles for various reasons. I use an Android mobile, Apple laptop and home made PC with HP screens, Intel chip, Nvidia graphics cards, MS keyboard, Logitech mouse, etc

"Horses for courses.", else you deny yourself the best bits of things. No company is perfect but some do better at some things, some times so everyone just loosen up, mix and match and have an easier life.

7. Rob Davis

Microsoft Windows will have a Linux kernel I reckon

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has said that Microsoft Windows will be running on a Linux Kernel at some point.

This news release to me seems it can only help gradual moves in that direction. Also with WSL2 and what Microsoft are doing in the cloud with Azure, running Linux there.

There will be reverse compatibility with apps written on Windows, to support the NT kernel.

It makes for a compelling offering from Microsoft, by having the Linux kernel at the centre rather than as it is with WSL2 now though the work that's gone into that seems to me to be very good having used it.

All this alongside Visual Studio Code, github and LinkedIn.

Android has been using Linux kernel for years. Did that mean Google embraced, exstinguished etc Linux? Answer - no - well I don't think so. So why would Microsoft?

And for a future ARM based Windows based around the Linux Kernel, that could mean being able to run Android Apps natively. This would help respond to Apple's M1 platform being able to run iOS apps. With Windows already a touch screen supporting OS, they might have the edge here.

I actively work with Windows, Mac, and Linux and enjoy the strengths of all platforms and want to see them thrive. Competition is good and I am excited about what I've speculated on above.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like