back to article Adobe co-founder and PostScript co-creator Charles Geschke dies, aged 81

Charles Geschke, co-founder of Adobe and co-creator of PostScript - and a reason this story is visually appealing - died Friday, April 16, at the age of 81. Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayan sent an announcement of Geschke’s passing to staff that included this tribute from his collaborator of five decades, John Warnock: In 1982, …

1. macjules

A great loss

As one who spent many hours in the 1990s explaining to graphic designers that “your Mac will not print to that printer because it is not postscript”.

1. trevorde Silver badge

Re: A great loss

Also as one in the 90's who had to kill print jobs when someone used a PostScript driver to print to a non-PostScript printer. We used to waste a ream of paper a day.

2. deadlockvictim

Re: A great loss

PowerPrint?

2. spireite Silver badge
    Coat

Will his grave have a postscript??

....and will it need a firmware update???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Colophon

Surely a "colophon", Adobe Postscript books didn't have postscripts, they had colophons:

https://www-cdf.fnal.gov/offline/PostScript/BLUEBOOK.PDF

A word I've only ever encountered in Adobe technical manuals and never found useful before or since or, as a matter of fact, during.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Colophon

There is a book somewhere on my shelves from Colophon Press. Should we blame it on Geschke's training in the classics? (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aalphabetic+letter%3D*k%3Aentry+group%3D143%3Aentry%3Dkolofw%2Fn)

2. spireite Silver badge
        Coat

Or maybe just half ?

A semicolophon....

3. ICL1900-G3

A friend of mine runs a publishing company called Colophon. I confess I'd never previously heard the word.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Never found "colophon" useful? How do you talk about them then? I mean, it may not come up as often as indicia, but surely at least once or twice a week.

Why, I don't know how many times I've invited a young lady up to see some colophons.

Sometimes owners of books will add their own colophons. No doubt you remember one such forms a plot point early in Ransome's Missee Lee.

2. Dwarf

Re: Will his grave have a postscript??

I'd expect a stack trace to allow debugging of the unexpected event.

Might need a slightly larger stone to carve it all into though.

Unfortunate to see the passing of another founder of a critical cornerstone in the technologies we all take for granted now.

I'm thinking we need a Sir Terry clacks-overhead message within the postscript code

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Xerox didn't share their excitement about the project"

I always wonder how many execs can be so short-sighted. Well, better for him to be motivated to leave to build his own successful company - otherwise he may have gone nowhere in Xerox.

As someone who always liked typography, I raise my hat to one of those who brought it to the computer world and freed us from ugly computer-generated documents.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: "Xerox didn't share their excitement about the project"

Xerox and Kodak must have hired their manglement from the same manglement programm.

1. Dwarf
        Joke

The problem is that Xerox never come up with anything original.

Yes, Yes, I know the WIMP and things like that .. don't over think the joke.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Everything Xerox 'invented' they copied from Sun / Apple / SGI / Microsoft

1. a_yank_lurker

Apple actually got the WIMP ideas from XEROX PARC. The people at PARC said Jobs and Apple were the first to grasp key ideas behind WIMP. Ideas implemented in the Lisa and Mac in the early to mid 80's. Others followed Apple thus indirectly XEROX PARC.

One of the great 'what ifs' is if XEROX manglement grasped what PARC was doing and actually tried to seriously commercialize their ideas in the early to mid 80's. They had the resources to do it.

Woosh......

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Looks like Poe's Law bit you on that one.

To be fair, it's a badge of honour on el'reg

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

To be fair to Xerox: they were bankrolling PARC at the time. Just imagine how little would have happened if it hadn't been for the largesse of companies bankrolling PARC, Bell Labs.

Start up culture is supposed to mimic this but the focus on scale and tax efficient exit strategies seems designed to throttle the kind of "happy accident" that innovation needs.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Geschke was just continuing the family business: his father and grandfather were letterpress photo engravers."

Love it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah... those were the days indeed. I count myself so fortunate to have been brought into a technical college that taught printing and packaging because they needed someone to look after all the new fangled DTP kit.

As many technical demonstrators were due to retire, I sat in on the teaching sessions and learnt how to do all these what are now archaic looking tasks. Chromalin, plate making of many various types, hot metal (Ludlow), photogravure, flexo, offset litho, rotogravure, hot foil impression, book binding, marbling for end leafs and sides, typesetting with forms, inset stitch trim (IST), saddle stitching... loved it all. So hands on.

Sadly though the college couldn’t turn those skills into saleable training for the print industry anymore so it broke up and these craft skills passed into the remit of retiree leisure courses at a local heritage centre. Not enough in it to pay the bills of a young man with kids.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sadly for many ...

Adobe triggers memories (not so dim and distant) of flash.

1. vincent himpe

Re: Sadly for many ...

flash was a macromedia invention ... if i remember

6. Adair Silver badge

Passes what?

A stone, a spliff, wind, a motion...

Oh, sorry, he's died!

When the hell did we become so prissy and phobic about dying and death that we choose to use a nonsensical word with multiple associations to describe a fundamental and normal part of human experience?

Adobe co-founder and PostScript co-creator Charles Geschke dies, aged 81

There we go, what's wrong with that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Passes what?

Came here to make the same observation so I'll just upvote yours instead.

PS. you missed "passes like ships in the night", "passes the parcel", "passes the time of day" and best of all "passes the Dutchie pon the left hand side".

1. myhandler

Yep me too. It's an abhorrent Americanism.

The Mac and at the root of it Postscript changed my life.

Illustrator 88!

1. Irony Deficient

It’s an abhorrent Americanism.

It’s a centuries-old meaning of “pass” that you seem to be unaware of — see definition 2. b. of pass, v. in the OED :

b. Of spiritual destination; esp. in to pass to God, heaven, etc.

a 1225 Ancr. R. 330 þet we moten þuruh rudi scheome passen to þe heouene. […] 1859 Tennyson Guinevere 690 She . . past To where beyond these voices there is peace.

1. Adair Silver badge

Yes, that's true, but that doesn't make the current usage any less prissy and phobic.

1. Irony Deficient

“Die” is certainly more straightforward and less figurative than “pass”, but in my view, the latter’s alleged prissiness is in the eye of the beholder. Just as some people refer to life as being a journey rather than a destination, other people might extend the analogy to death being a continuation of a soul’s journey towards a spiritual destination.

Regarding its phobicity, fear of dying and death has been around for a long, long time — more prevalent in some cultures and individuals, less prevalent in others. Whether a preference for “pass” over “die” is a sign of such fear reaching the level of an anxiety disorder is a question that might be better addressed by clinical psychologists.

1. Adair Silver badge

All that is true, but 'pass' as a euphemism for 'died' has only sprung into common parlance in the last twenty years or so. Folk used to often say 'passed away' which still skates around the truth, but is at least passably specific as we don't use that phrase in any other context. But 'pass' and 'passed' are just hopelessly and sadly signs of human unwillingness to deal with reality in a meaningful way. Are we really so fragile and unable to cope with the 'human condition' that we have to hide the reality of our lives behind words that are functionally meaningless because they are so ambiguous?

1. Irony Deficient

In your opening comment and in your comment directly above, you yourself have shown that “pass” as a euphemism for “die” is neither functionally meaningless nor ambiguous. (Given the OED examples, I’d describe it as “resprung” rather than “sprung”.) Regarding “pass” as a human unwillingness to face death, it depends — different people grieve in different ways and at different speeds, and if one accepts the Kübler-Ross model, some persist in denial longer than others. On “our” fragility and inability to cope with “the human condition” (was that a euphemism for “mortality”?), it depends upon how you define “we”; there is likely to be some sliver of humanity who does exhibit that fragility and inability to cope.

7. Paul Herber Silver badge

I understand

I understand 'died'. I understand 'passed on', I understand 'passed away', but not just 'passed'. You pass tests, exams etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I understand

It's simple, really. Reincarnation can be seen as a game of cosmic football, which includes passing a football (the soul) from one incarnation to the next. The (now ex-)incarnation Geschke has just passed.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Good for him, hope he got good marks and gets to a good college.

2. onemark03

passes

Almost sounds like a digestive function...

3. Fred Goldstein

Quite standard American usage nowadays. A euphemism, perhaps, but very normal usage here. It ahs gotten more common in recent decades.

8. Blackjack Silver badge

What alternatives exist to PDF?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HTML and CSS ...

.. done properly they are awesome without the need for Javascript bloat.

Though I agree maybe not the best for printers :-)

2. GrumpenKraut

ASCII.

Now seriously: alternative for pdf for doing *what*?

3. Calum Morrison

Windows 10 is still trying to foist something called XPS Document Writer on my list of printers. IIRC from the one time I looked at it, it's their unwanted version of something that everyone else just gets on and uses.

4. TRT Silver badge

SVG? But all really just subsets of XML.

I wonder if we would have reached XML without the existence of PDF.

5. Fred Goldstein

Interpress. Shortly after Adobe was founded, someone I worked with at DEC, who had been at Xerox PARC, told me about that new startup. Interpress had some limitations, and Adobe PostScript had filled them in, making it a more proper page description language. But I've since heard that Interpress was enhanced (v2?) so in its final form it could do more than PostScript or its derivative PDF. I haven't seen it, but supposedly it exists.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adobe is a pain in the butt. Crap with open platforms and they prefer to kill off and take their software to the grave with them (Flash, Acroread Linux, Distributed Photoshop).

Sure, it is their intellectual property to do as they want with it...

... but piss off and die already so a more useful / open company can take your place in the market.

(I mean no disrespect to Charles Geschke, I am a big PostScript fan. His talents were wasted on Adobe).

1. TRT Silver badge

It’s true their adoption of a SAAS model doesn’t fit many end user scenarios comfortably but that shift was a commercial decision. Technically the set the mould.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like