back to article Blue Origin sends Mannequin Skywalker aloft again, testing out comfier capsule for future space tourists

Blue Origin has successfully completed a test launch and landing of its reuseable New Shepard rocket with an advanced capsule design, bringing the outfit one step closer to eventually sending up paying passengers. The test flight, codenamed NS-15 as it's the 15th to date, was conducted at 1651 UTC (1151 CDT) at a Blue Origin …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Into Thin Air! Higher, easier, and more expensive than Everest. The comparative fatality rate remains to be seen.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

No, no

I insist.

After you....

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Impressive, but...

(a) why does that thing remind me of Flesh Gordon? Oh, yes: https://thenewbev.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Flesh-Gordon-3.jpg (possibly NSFW)

(b) where is earth-shattering kaboom?

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Impressive, but...

(b) where is earth-shattering kaboom?

Clearly they forgot (neglected?) to load the Eludium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator.

2. Chris G

I wonder where exactly the Emperor Wang comes into all this?

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

don't mention kabooms - I made the joke after SN10 landed ... a minute later there was an Earth shattering kaboom! :-(

4. John Jennings

It looks marginally less like a huge Knob than it used to.

I am not sure if billionaires will want to go on it - just because it has that association.

4. Sgt_Oddball
    Meh

I can't help but think of an amusement park...

Spend ages waiting, and finally after sitting for long enough for bits to go numb while the operator runs through checks.

Then.... Whoosh, you're off.

And just when you're really enjoying it, the ride ends and you have to join the queue again.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Joke

Re: I can't help but think of an amusement park...

Possibly cheaper than entry to an amusement park, though. Especially by the time you've paid the parking and bought the queue-jumper option for a family of 4.

5. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Comfy? Comfy?!?

Surely it would have been cheaper to prepare astronauts for the harsh rigours of space by just having them work in an Amazon warehouse for 6 months. It'd get them used to peeing in a bottle.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Comfy? Comfy?!?

Are you insane? There's no way they'd be able to operate the barcode scanner with their gloves.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Amazon moon mission

Unfortunately you have to go to the depot on Mars to pick up the rocket

7. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

Moneybags

Astronauts? 'Spam in a can' more like...

8. Pen-y-gors

Why? Just....why?

This seems to be a heck of a lot of money and effort to build what is basically a giant fairground attraction.

Surely it would make more sense to spend a wee bit more and actually build an orbital launch system - then repurpose that for joy rides.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Why? Just....why?

I agree with the Why? Beyond bragging rights for billionaires, I don't see the attraction.

That said, they are working on an orbital launch system, the New Glenn, which will be able to reach the ISS with astronauts and launch satellites into high Earth orbit.

And Jeff, not to be outdone by Elon, says the next spacecraft they are working on is the New Armstrong, presumably for lunar flights.

Still, it's a spacecraft. It worked. And I'm a space nerd, so a pint for the boffins.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like