back to article It is 60 years since the first cosmonaut reached orbit and 40 years since the Shuttle first left the launchpad

Join us in raising a toast in celebration of both the 60th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's orbit of the Earth and 40 years since the first Space Shuttle left the pad. Gagarin's flight, on 12 April 1961, marked the first of a human into orbit. The mission, aboard the Vostok 3KA spacecraft, lasted less than two hours from lift-off …

1. sbt
    Pint

Pints/shots all round

Ваше здоровье! and Cheers!

Let's hope the Russians can sort out their contributions to international programmes like the ISS that help keep the peace.

2. Bubba Von Braun

Ah when we took risks to achive great things.

I look back and see how we are so risk averse it actually inhibits more than it protects.

Great things were achieved by those prepared to take the risk, can you imagine SLS/Orion doing its lunar flight after just one test flight of the booster to earth orbit? Not now we will wait years/decades at the current snails pace.

But I do wonder if this has become a case of perfect being the enemy of good enough.

BvB

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Ah when we took risks to achive great things.

"This country went from landing on the Moon to "This bag is not a toy!" and arguing about evolution in 40 years. This makes me very sad."

"Spaceflight: Once, we dared. Now, we simply reminisce."

2. Danny Boyd

Speaking of taking the risks: did you know that Yuri Gagarin's survival probability was estimated as less than 50% at the launch? It was.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

they were test pilots

3. Vulch

Some time ago...

The delay on the first shuttle launch meant that the studio booking at Televison Centre for the BBC's coverage had run out. The only spare (BBC) studio available was in Bristol so all but one of the production team had headed down the M4, but Bristol had no videotape machines free. As a freshly minted VT engineer in the dungeons of TV Centre I was known to be a bit of a space enthusiast, and myself and a housemate got the job of feeding the inserts from machines in London to the studio in Bristol (and even editing some of the packages ourselves) for the duration of the mission, along with the remaining member of the production team who had been in her job about as long as we had in ours. We even got a day or two of overtime out of it as it was going to be tricky enough without the Bristol end having to deal with multiple sets of London engineers.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Pint

Sputnik 1

Nice article - I hadn't thought about it before but now I remember listening to Sputnik 1 and watching it sail across the sky as a kid. That might have been what started me getting interesting in electronics and then computers later.

1. ICL1900-G3

Re: Sputnik 1

Ditto. My pa was a radio amateur; I still remember how proud he was to pick up Sputnik's signal.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Sputnik 1

A week later my dad showed me how to make a crystal radio.

5. werdsmith Silver badge

Yuri Gagarin had the edge on other competitors for that first man seat, because of his warm and engaging smile.

6. Roger Kynaston
    Meh

The shuttle always makes me feel sad

I remember the first launch and the promise of routine LEO space flight. The first Bond film I properly remember (being 12 when it came out) was Moonraker.

Then, the reality of such a complex box of tricks bit. And the disasters of course.

Still, at least JPL continues to be inspirational and it is good to see other countries getting in on the landers/rover game.

7. Klimt's Beast Would

I salute Gagarin's...

...giant cosmonaut space balls of iron!

And everyone who followed, those that didn't make it and all the involuntary beasties who preceeded them.

I would love to see an experiment in space to measure the metabolisation of alcohol in the human body. It would make a fine IgNobel prize. I volunteer! ;)

8. William Towle
    Thumb Up

Also see also...

Archive on 4 "Gagarin and the lost Moon"

Mentions his charisma being both an important selection criteria for the initial mission and a hinderance in getting selection for subsequent missions, as while he was keen to carry on nobody wanted to risk being the guy who said yes to the project that killed him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v24g

1. Johan Bastiaansen

Re: Also see also...

So a sloppy maintenance engineer killed him instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like