back to article FreeBSD gives ARM64 green light for production over x86 alternative's 'growth trajectory'

The FreeBSD project will offer "Tier 1" support to 64-bit ARM processors in FreeBSD 13.0, expected to be released shortly. The only other Tier 1 platform is AMD64. FreeBSD defines four tiers of platform support, with only Tier 1 fully supported for production use. Tier 1 architectures have official release images and full …

1. sbt
    Devil

Also covers Raspberry Pi 3+ and 4.

Nice one. Happy Daemon. --->

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Re: Also covers Raspberry Pi 3+ and 4.

There's a lot more to it than just that, but if games run better then great.

2. Tom 7

Not familiar with computing I take it?

3. Len
        Devil

Funnily enough, FreeBSD is not an OS that makes me think of gaming but Sony Playstation 4 and 5 run on FreeBSD so it’s not impossible. It just needs a bit of tailoring.

1. An0n C0w4rd
          Devil

I've got Factorio running on FreeBSD 12.2 fine. The Steam client crashes for some reason though. It installs but the web renderer process crashes on an madvise() call

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

Just need to know: What is PC98?

1. sbt
      Boffin

What is PC98?

NEC's take on the PC in the '80-'90s, not IBM compatible.

1. mevets

Re: What is PC98?

There is another definition of pc98 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_System_Design_Guide#PC_98 - roughly a machine that could run windows 98.

Funny, reading that I noticed I was wrong about the colour coded mouse and keyboard ports. I had always thought that was Dell's sole computer innovation.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

There was also the Multimedia PC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_PC

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The pc98 was launched in 1982 - nothing to do with win98.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-9800_series#Timeline_of_PC-9801_models

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Coincidently LGR just had a quick look at a Mini version of its predecessor, the PC8000 series.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"Unix-like"

I'm guessing that refers to the fact that FreeBSD is not certified to use the UNIX® trademark (which should be written in block capitals, to please the lawyers). The trademark is owned by The Open Group, of course, and currently the only licensees are Apple, IBM, Cemprus,1 HPE, Huawei,2 and SCO.3

Just another minor clash between history and law.

1You know, that Cemprus.

2Does Congress know about this? The liberty!

3Does Xinuos know about this? Have they sued themselves yet?

4. Stuart Halliday

Does seem that ARM is slowly being adopted by the Big boy industries.

My first Arm was the Arm1.

5. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

There's some nuance with i386 security support for 13.x

It is tier 2, but the release announcement specifically addresses i386 support

'the FreeBSD Release Engineering and Security Teams will continue to build, test, and distribute EN and SA artifacts for i386 alongside all other supported platforms. However, EN and SA issues that are specific to i386, or that require unique development for i386, may not be addressed. The userland ABI will continue to be preserved in 13.x similar to other Tier 1 platforms.'

It feels a tiny bit too soon to me, but probably a reasonable compromise. Realistically 32 bit BSD (all variants) will be used in embedded devices, specifically firewalls. Even my personal firewall has moved to a nice embedded 64bit AMD PCEngines device, the subset of people who'll lose out will be those with historic high speed i386 servers with decent I/O.

For desktop use AMD64 and ARM are the viable options. POWER devices are also possible, modern, and reasonably economic, but remain a minority option due to price.

6. Len
    Thumb Up

ARM based OpenZFS NAS

What I only just realised, this opens the door for home built NAS using OpenZFS 2.0 based on ARM.

When the people of XigmaNas release their next version based on FreeBSD 13 (they’re currently using FreeBSD 12.2p5) I hope they release an ARM build too.

Especially for backup situations where you don’t have a NAS constantly pumping out gigabytes it might drastically reduce power consumption.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like