back to article FSF doubles down on Richard Stallman's return: Sure, he is 'troubling for some' but we need him, says org

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) on Monday apologized for mishandling the announcement last month that founder Richard Stallman, or RMS, had been reelected to its board of directors – and published a statement from RMS both justifying his behavior and apologizing for it. "FSF staff should have been informed and consulted …

1. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Go

Vorwärts !

To sign the letter without registering at Github [ a curious choice for Open Source/Free Software ] the sign-up sheet is here:

https://codeberg.org/rms-support-letter/rms-support-letter/issues/1

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Is this another one of those twitter storms in a tea cup where the professionally offended get...well....offended

#MeToo

1. jake Silver badge
    2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Flame

I don't think so. The tipping point was Stallman's support of Marvin Minsky who was accused of having underage sex plus Stallman's general support for underage sex.

What taints Stallman's image further is his arrogance: "If you misunderstand me it's your fault not mine."

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Important detail

One of the many problems with Stallman is his defence of underage sex gave the impression Professor Minsky had sex with one of Epstein's victims. From wakipedia:

Virginia Giuffre testified in a 2015 deposition in her defamation lawsuit against Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell that Maxwell directed her to have sex with Minsky among others. There has been no allegation that sex between them took place nor a lawsuit against Minsky's estate. Minsky's widow, Gloria Rudisch, says that he could not have had sex with any of the women at Epstein's residences, as they were always together during all of the visits to Epstein's residences.

Chinese whispers of some of Stallman's less objectionable statements caused a media storm which caused people to look more closely - and there was plenty to find. Stallman's damaging defence of Minsky is more than sufficient reason to keep him out of any advocacy position. A far greater reason would be the number of people he has driven away from software entirely. One of the statements I find particularly unforgivable is that he threatened to commit suicide if one of his students did not have sex with him. (I know there is worse but that is a type of threat my cousin had to deal with and I did not like the consequences.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Marvin Minsky who was accused of having underage sex

As I heard it reported, Epstein sent an underage girl to offer sex to Minsky, and he turned her down. Not quite the same thing.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Epstein is beyond critics, and Minsky hasn’t done anything wrong. The problem is Stallman saying that it’s all not a big deal. If he had said “I’m sure this didn’t happen”, fine. But he said “so what if she was too young, she knew what she was doing”.

1. Woodnag

too young, (s)he knew what (s)he was doing

The law is explicit that minors (sexual consent-wise) can't make an informed decision.

There's the case of the 27 yr old female teacher prosecuted for rape with her apparently willing 15 yr old male student. Typical reaction: lucky bastard! But what if the student was gay (or simply not interested), but didn't want to offend someone in power over him?

1. Phil Lord

Re: too young, (s)he knew what (s)he was doing

Ah, but which law is that?

In this case, the woman in question was 17. So capable of making an informed decision? Well, not in the territory that these events are said to have happened where the age of consent was (and maybe still is) 18.

It was foolish to have such a nuanced argument on an email list; it was likely to be misunderstood there as it is here, but that was the argument.

2. CRConrad

Absolutely not what he said.

But he said “so what if she was too young, she knew what she was doing”.

No he didn't; that's so wrong it's not even in the same ballpark. What he said was (paraphrasing): "Minsky may well have had no idea that she was underage or coerced, because Epstein would very likely have ordered her not to tell him that."

3. cosmodrome

Because the more serious the accusation the more guilty the accused and anyone to doubt their guilt are. Fire icon for "burn the witch"?

3. DrXym

I think it's more the case that Stallman said some unforgivably stupid, tone deaf things, resigned as a result and thinks he can waltz back in and that everyone has forgotten. And perhaps he can but the FSF is going to be the entity that suffers badly as a result.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

And looking forward we can expect more of the same...

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

So basically a twitter storm from the professionally offended “you cant say that!” Brigade

We’ve heard it all before

It’s your right to disagree with someone and counter their argument but its not your right to silence (or cancel someone), ya bloody little hitlers lol

1. jason_derp

The internet doesn't really allow people to be silenced...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There's a big difference between disagreeing with someone and, in your words, attempting "to silence (or cancel someone)".

RMS has done a lot of good work for the free software movement (and I expect he will continue to do so), but he has also said some things, and behaved in some ways, that are, at best, a bit icky and inappropriate, and which society, very rightly, now has less tolerance for.

I'm sure no one (apart from real zealots) wants to silence him, but I don't think it's unreasonable that some organisations are now effectively saying "We were uncomfortable about some things previously, and we do now realise that we were wrong to have mostly turned a blind eye to them in the past, and so we must both acknowledge this and also state that we would now prefer, for the good of the organisation, not to have you in what is seen to be a leadership position".

1. mr.K

I think your last point is fair. But reading some of the debate I do think people want to silence him and there needs to be some acknowledgement that it is at least dangerous water to venture into.

4. jason_derp

"Is this another one of those twitter storms in a tea cup where the professionally offended get...well....offended"

Maybe, although you might want to look into why people are upset before sounding like you're tacitly supporting something....unsavory.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you might want to look into why people are upset

I'll save you some time: it's because they read a hit piece article and not the actual things being quoted in their full context.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

Isolating people for comments and personal opinion the majority disagree with is a dangerous and slippery slope.

1. ThomH

I've never been a board member for an influential non-profit organisation. I feel so isolated.

1. mr.K

First, you are creating a straw man.

Second, you could say that about any position "I've never been a leader/programmer/architect/fireman/mother ...."

1. ThomH

The news story is about the controversy following Stallman's return to a board membership. NoneSuch's comment is that isolation is an inappropriate response to Stallman's actions. My comment is that denying someone board membership does not amount to isolation.

From that you get: "Straw man! Straw man!"?

I'm struggling to see it.

6. mr.K
      Happy

"Is this another one of those twitter storms in a tea cup where the professionally offended get...well....offended"

I dunno, without having read all he has written, but tried to find examples. I think it is one of these cases were people default to rage instead of debate. I find it sad that it happens within a part of our society that claims to be inclusive and claims to seek the truth through debate and examination. I am not saying the rage can't be justified. There is plenty of elements in our society that is bad. Elements being both persons, groups and systemic. I am saying that, first: rage is often the wrong tool if you want results and second: that if you default to it you will certainly end up fuelling the society you do not want and even turning your own side into it.

What is boils down to is:

Who the speaker is matters. Is it veiled speak from a politician trying to cover up "illegitimate" views with seemingly legit arguments, is it a guy on the spectrum looking at the world and society as an intellectual exercise or somebody that is simply not enlightened yet in some understanding of the world. Against neither of these rage would be a good tool. The politician in this case is a liar and the arguments needs to be undressed and unpacked, not for the benefit of the politician, but for the benefit of the people he or she is trying to convince. The person that is not enlightened you have to understand the background to. For any of us over the age of twenty, there are lots of majority opinions that existed when we were born that has already been moved to unacceptable. People that lag a little behind the times need to included and brought up to speed. Unless we do so we will create a society which will throw us all under the bus when we age a little. And last, what about the guy on the spectrum. Here we have some perfect example that using rage in a quest for social justice and a tolerant society ends up being exclusive and narrow minded. One is literally attacking somebody due to an attribute that person is born with. Seems to me like a definition of something.

Attacking people that simply needs to be taught is exactly the thing we are trying to get rid of and it is attacking the very fabric of the path forward for any society. It disgusts me to the core and this whimsical rage that exists, in the so called academia and among those that claim to be educated, is a cancer and it may very well bring the western world to end. And there we have it, I am raging as well sums my point up quite nicely.

Want to be friends, or at least friendly enough to talk to each other?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Attacking people that simply needs to be taught is exactly the thing we are trying to get rid of and it is attacking the very fabric of the path forward for any society. It disgusts me to the core and this whimsical rage that exists, in the so called academia and among those that claim to be educated, is a cancer and it may very well bring the western world to end. And there we have it, I am raging as well sums my point up quite nicely.

It's such an injustice that I can only upvote you once.

Want to be friends, or at least friendly enough to talk to each other?

YES

2. ecofeco Silver badge

The lack of debating in good faith is not exclusive academia. Not by a long shot.

But it is certainly the last place one expects it. Yet, it's just as pervasive there as everywhere else.

I share you dream of persuasion through facts, being the savior of mankind, but that has never been the case.

To quote Mark Twain:

"Peace by persuasion has a pleasant sound, but I think we should not be able to work it. We should have to tame the human race first, and history seems to show that that cannot be done."

- Letter to William T. Stead, 1/9/1899 from Mark Twain

Sometime you just have to whack people upside the head with a clueX4. Especially the dangerous ones.

3. sbt
    Facepalm

"he is essential to its mission"

No one is indispensible. Booch (via quoted tweet) is right.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "he is essential to its mission"

Not even Booch?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Did anyone say he was?

2. Dave559 Silver badge

"The cemeteries are full of indispensable men."

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Came to say the same thing. He is not indispensable or unique.

Which begs the question, what is REALLY going on? What blackmail does he have on the board? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the board to self destruct like this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Offensive

I can forgive what Stallman's "apology" addressed. What I cannot forgive is some of the things he wrote on his personal website stallman.org including:

"I think that everyone age 14 or above ought to take part in sex, though not indiscriminately. (Some people are ready earlier.) It is unnatural for humans to abstain from sex past puberty, and while I wouldn't try to pressure anyone to participate, I certainly encourage everyone to do so."

Or “There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children.”

1. james 68

Re: Offensive

Totally agree, the guy is scum.

While I cannot say without proof that he's an actual pedophile, he certainly has no problems voicing active support for pedophillia.

1. james 68

Downvoted for being against pedophillia? Wow, a new low for the register comments section.

To be perfectly clear the guy is a sex offence waiting to happen. He's even for necrophillia and sex with animals. Downvote all you like, he shouldn't be on the streets nevermind helming an organisation.

https://stallman.org/articles/extreme.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

"he shouldn't be on the streets"

I agree he probably shouldn't helm an organisation (for its own sake), but since when do we lock people away for what they may think?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

since when do we lock people away for what they may think?

Since 10 minutes in the future if this crowd get their way. It's the logical next step from deplatforming. This person you're replying to is simply more honest about what he actually wants than most of the mob. The truth is that they won't be happy until it's illegal to have an opinion different from theirs.

And then once they get that they'll just create internal divisions and tear themselves apart from the inside (you already see this all over the place if you look).

But don't worry, in the new and better world they're creating you'll still be totally free to think and do whatever they say is OK: The worst that will happen if your opinion differs from the mainstream is that you'll have your livelihood taken away with zero due process. Or perhaps you'll get locked up a little bit if you say something that people think is really gross.

But it's not a problem - you'll still totally have freedom of speech. Just with a few more restrictions on your speech, that's all.

2. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

> To be perfectly clear the guy is a sex offence waiting to happen.

That's like saying that anyone for drug legalization is an addict. Like you could only ever advocate a thing because you had a personal stake in it.

If I'd buy anyone to say things like that for purely principled, non-personal reasons, it'd probably be Stallman.

Also, honestly, when you said he supports sex with animals and necrophilia, my first reaction was "ah, that makes sense." There's reasons to view animals and corpses as worthy of protection, but they tend to be based more on a disgust reaction than any actual moral principle. Frankly, I consider those much more defensible than his views on children.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Well when you find an animal or corpse that gives consent, let us know.

1. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

A sex toy doesn't give consent either.

What, that's not the same thing as an animal or a corpse? An animal or corpse are also not the same thing as a living human being. And honestly, sentiment aside - and that's a BIG thing to put aside, and I agree with the illegality of necrophilia, but morality should be on a firmer footing than sentiment - morally, a corpse is closer to a sex toy than a human being: inanimate matter.

Let me be clear: I am against necrophilia. But that's because corpses are held sacred in society, and sex is inherently profane. I simply don't think you can get that from a consent standard.

Regarding animals, we don't ask for consent for anything else we do to animals either, including our very frequent torture, killing and consumption. Honestly, if you fucked an animal, it would be one of the nicer things on the list of things that humans do to animals.

Of course, the real reason is usually "I think it's bloody disgusting." Which it is! But that's not the same as morally wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"purely principled, non-personal reasons, it'd probably be Stallman."

Stallman does **everything** for himself only and his own advantage only. He's an uber-egoist. Just look at his behaviour - everything must be as he wants to please him only. He would never adapt to anything.

All his fuss about free software is just because he wanted all the software without having to payi- because he didn't have to earn his money from writing software, of course. He never said university people should work for free for the enlightenment of mankind...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "purely principled, non-personal reasons, it'd probably be Stallman."

And of course you, LDS, do everything for the betterment of others, at all times, right?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>And of course you, LDS, do everything for the betterment of others, at all times, right?

The difference is that the majority of readers here don't stand on a soapbox...

What has Stallamn done that has financially benefited your typical employed software developer?

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

The difference is that the majority of readers here don't stand on a soapbox...

Hmm... LDS, jake, Roland6 - all fairly frequent occupants of the Register soapbox (as I am as well, of course).

What has Stallamn done that has financially benefited your typical employed software developer?

You may be too young to know, but Stallman provided a lot of philosophical leadership in the early days of the concept of "free software". His opinions provided an important starting point for a lot of debate - some agreeing with him, others adopting different views, which has resulted in the enormously wide field of "free and open source software" today.

And, of course, Stallman was the primary creator of the GPL which has been an important driver in the wide development and adoption of Linux, which has transformed the financial basis of much software development today.

When I was an employed software developer I used many tools every day which either contained code written by Stallman (emacs and many GNU tools) or released under the GPL (as well as many under other licences inspired by the FOSS concepts).

I am no supporter of Stallman. I believe the FSF is better off without him - if they really need his skills they should have employed hm as a consultant. I will not be donating to the FSF while he is on the board. But it is ridiculous to suggest he did not drive major changes in the software industry which have benefited every single software developer and every single software company.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

What a ridiculously considered and nuanced comment, I demand a refund.

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

By asking this question you've just demonstrated your ignorance.

I could give you a dozen examples off the top of my head but I'm not going to bother because you can find many more examples than that by taking 30 seconds to do a web search.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"And of course you, LDS, do everything for the betterment of others"

I don't treat people like Stallman does, nor I ask my guests the ridiculous demands Stallman does.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Not that I'm supporting him... but what pushed him into campaigning about software freedom wasn't about having to pay, but about not having access to the source code so he could make a modified version (of a printer driver, to get it to send status messages).

3. cornetman Silver badge

> To be perfectly clear the guy is a sex offence waiting to happen.

Your comment is distasteful and borderline libellous.

He is commenting in a detached sense to an issue that he sees purely as definitional and logical.

You might disagree with some of his views but calling him a potential sex offender because you disagree with him is a smidge extreme and probably actionable.

4. Danny Boyd

Downvoted for not understanding the difference between what man says and what he really does. To talk about Stallman's paedophilia you need to catch him first with an underage person "in flagranti".

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

If you want to represent an organisation like FSF what you say counts and nobody should care what you do.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Pirate

I think it's worth saying that he has, much later, said he's not in fact in favour of paedophilia any more. But he's decided this only after people have explained to him in ways he could (eventually) understand that it's not in fact a good thing.

So I think the point is that he's not evil: he's ill. His mind doesn't work in a way which makes it obvious to him that paedophilia is a ghastly evil, because his mind has bits missing which are present in the minds of most people. He also, I think, probably really does not understand that his behaviour towards women is grossly offensive, and perhaps in some cases outright illegal (and I personally know someone who has been 'accosted' (her word, haven't asked her more as I'm not having that kind of conversation by email, because my brain works properly) by Stallman). That's the only way he knows how to behave, because he completely fails to understand how human relationships work: he wants sex like we all do and he thinks the way to get it is to badger people until they give in. His theory of mind just doesn't work very well, at all.

This is very sad if true: I would not want to be him. But I also would not want to be anywhere near him, and I would certainly not want him in a position of power of any kind.

But the FSF do: well, this says exactly what you think it says about them, and exactly what you think it says about whether you would want to have anything at all to do ith them.

1. LordHighFixer

Since I personally share a number of his traits, know it, try to control it, have had people try to help me with it. But when it comes down to it, most people are idiots and any argument based on morality or social norms often fails a logical attack.

But here is the test, upvote this post if you can see some of yourself in this guy, downvote it if you share no thoughts in common.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Same here. There is a world of difference between looking at some of the rules perpetrated by neurotypical people and trying to find anything logical in them (for example, ages of sexual consent are arbitrary - look at the variation amongst European countries, let alone around the world or throughout history). That doesn't mean that they don't have utility, but normative rules need to be founded in rational argument, and that so rarely happens - stuff is inflicted on us because something incredibly rare happens (anti terrorist legislation, for example). It makes no sense that people can be vilified for saying that there us a different way of looking at things.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

If she was 17 and he was say 21 - it is less clear morally (but not legally). If he is old man 68, and they have talked for 1 minute at party and he says "let's go!", that is entirely different. Most 68 year old men would feel uncomfortable about that - my guess is that Minsky didn't have sex with her - Guiffre's deposition only says she was ordered to, not that she did. RMS' argument assumes Minsky took up the opportunity, and then tries to justify it.

Of course RMS remains 21 at heart. I guess that explains his viewpoint.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@tfb: Well said. It's one of the strange things in life that each of us lives in our own personal reality, which we each perceive according to how our own mind works. There is a general consensus of what constitutes "normal" behaviour, but even there, there will be some blurring at the boundaries.

But anyone whose brain works in a different way (such as to perhaps a greater degree some people who are further along the autism spectrum), or who has had the very real misfortune to experience mental wellbeing (mental health) difficulties at any point in their life will probably (but not necessarily, which is also important, where that is the case) be aware that others see the world in a different way from them.

I'm reminded of a quote from "A Beautiful Mind", the film about the mathematician John Nash. I do not know whether the scene is a reasonable portrayal of an actual event in his own life, but it was both quite saddening (in a compassionate way) and, I thought, an interesting depiction of the difficulties people whose brains don't quite work in neurotypical ways face. Nash approaches a woman at a bar:

"I don't exactly know what I am required to say in order for you to have intercourse with me. But could we assume that I said all that. I mean essentially we are talking about fluid exchange right? So could we go just straight to the sex."

Most of us know that's not how you attempt to chat up or woo someone (although I dare say that, in some situations, with a very sexually liberated person, such an approach might sometimes work), but it just seemed a very vivid way to highlight the difficulties faced by people whose awareness of themselves and the world does not quite coincide with "normality".

(There's obviously a point at which confusion about or unawareness of social norms crosses over into more disturbing personality traits, but I think it's important to recognise that sometimes it is just, unfortunately, how our minds happen to be wired up, and that pity(?) can be as valid a response as concern (I realise that, in fact, that actually applies to both sides of that line, which is perhaps also worthy of consideration, and why some people do need protection (preferably hospital rather than prison, if medicinal or therapeutic treatments do not work) from themselves in order to protect others.))

6. CRConrad

Wrong reason

Downvoted for being against pedophillia?

No, probably in most cases for blithely assuming your particular age limit is what defines "pedophillia".

2. Zolko Silver badge

"What I cannot forgive..."

Did anyone ask for your forgiveness ? You are part of the problem to think that your opinion matters. This is about opens-source/free-software,"show me the code" is the only thing that counts.

1. jhiggins

Exactly!! Wish I could give your comment more than one up vote.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah, it's criminal that this comment has more down than upvotes.

But also kinda funny: People tend to have a negative opinion of the post saying "your opinion is just an opinion". Almost as if they thought their opinion was important.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I think that everyone age 14 or above ought to take part in sex, though not indiscriminately. (Some people are ready earlier.)

I might be an old git these days but I'm not so old as to be incapable of remembering when I was at school. Several of the girls I knew had had sex with their boy friends. This is hardly unusual. I don't think any of them had younger boyfriends. The age of consent in the UK is 16, what's the situation when both partners are under 16? Should that change when one of them has a 16th birthday? I know that some of them had been to the family planning clinic, you could get free condoms that way. Look up the Gillick case, it started because a circular to doctors said they could proscribe contraceptives to people under the age of 16 at their discretion without the parents concent.

This is totally different to some dirty old man (or woman) having sex with minors.

But many young people experiment amongst themselves and they shouldn't treated in the same way.

I find it sickening that some young people have been prosecuted for distributing child porn because they sent naked selfies to friends. Whereas adults to groom (or blackmail) kids to send them naked photos should face everything the law can throw at them.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

He got where he was by being an irritant and not taking "no" for an answer

Stallman spent decades being loud-mouthed and pigheaded about "free software" (stupid and confusing term) and not listening to everyone's view that it was a waste of time and effort.

I don't see why people expect him to be any different now.

I don't think he even understands the phrase "dude, you need to chill"

Re: He got where he was by being an irritant and not taking "no" for an answer

Not everyone thinks that free software is a waste of time and effort. Think where you would be without it.

XP was the expensive professional option and home users had to put up with Windows ME. The price of XP would have increased and ME would have become even worse to drive upgrades to XP. Your GPS and router would have been either Windows CE priced just under the cost of manufacturers rolling their own embedded kernels.

The fact the you have not seen how free software has benefited you shows Stallman's astounding level of incompetence at advocating it.

1. jake Silver badge

Mr Kroes, I think you have the wrong end of the stick WRT Mr Cash's opinions on the wide world of FOSS.

Re: wrong end of stick

I re-read the comment more carefully and I see what you mean. Sorry I did not take the time to cool down and spot my misinterpretation before posting.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>The fact the you have not seen how free software has benefited you shows Stallman's astounding level of incompetence at advocating it.

Which is a good enough reason to question why the FSF reappointed him in a position that requires competence at advocacy....

If Stallman had been any good at advocacy and delivering on his vision, the world would probably have been using GNU/Unix instead of XP...

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: I don't see why people expect him to be any different now.

They don't. They want him to fuck off, not change.

3. mihares

Oh he looks pretty chilled out.

The angry mob, however...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

everyone's view that it was a waste of time and effort

Oh really? That was everyone's view, huh?

Did you tell Linus Torvalds about this? You know, that guy who wrote that operating system kernel that's used in most of the world's servers and who licensed it as free software.

Did you tell the Apache foundation about this? You know, the makers of the most commonly used web server in the world. The one that's free software.

Did you tell Google about this? You know, the makers of the world's most commonly used browser engine. The one that's free software.

Did you tell Microsoft about this? You know, that huge mob who make that operating system and who have been releasing a bunch of free software by for the last few years.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A paraphrase

curiously many from Central and Eastern Europe and Russia

"Dear Regilars, if Stallman is such an above-board character, why is he supported by [people from places we regard as less enlightened]? Curious."

Yeah, I'd think myself paranoid too if this would be the first, or second, etc. time I'd seen this type of rhetorical construct. No fan of the guy, just to be clear.

7. Mr. Moose

It's so annoying when people you admire turn out to be a, uh, you-know, uh, Dick ...

... There, I said it.

No, the FSF doesn't need Stallman.

But, here’s some perspective, buried in this very long shaggy-dog-story:

I had recently been thinking: "God!! You know, Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds, between the two of them, have done so much for the world by creating the Linux environment, and the Free software ethos.".

I was --honest-to-God-- going to write to the White House proposing them for the Medal of Freedom. Why? Because thanks to Linux(, and the fact that, during the 1990s, people were throwing out old computers almost every week in my old neighborhood), I was able to set up a home network and learn enough about basic Linux systems admin, programming, and networks to eventually get a good-paying job, which, after not having had one for a long time, set me up in a stable financial situation that prevails until today. I am very grateful for the chances I got due to Free software.

(

By the way: I give my sincerest thanks to the myriad people who toil(ed) unsung to create the vast number of tools and utilities that I use for free(, and for pay too because I now can) every day. It's really touching to think that people all over the world can get access to these things and create something without having to pay by the inch, and through the nose, for things like e.g. Debian, OpenBSD, FreeCAD, SolveSpace, ImageMagick, LibreOffice, VI(M)!, Perl, PostgreSQL, Django, etc., etc. It's mind-numbing. I would not be where I am today without Linux and Free software. Thanks to all of you who made it possible. (can I have my Oscar now? :-) ...Um-Hnh-Hnhm… )

)

Then, just to get oriented, I looked up RMS, and read all the latest ... stuff: "What?!?: Aw-Shit-Un-Fscking-Believable! I know Linus can be a 'Git', but this: Aw-Jeeez-O-God-What-A-Shmuck!”.

The fact that RMS appears to be a Very Screwed-Up Person(tm), and No Moral Exemplar(tm), does not undo the great things he has done for the world by creating, and advocating, to his detriment many times, the idea of Free software. Bless him for that at least. And pray for him for the failings he has. We all have our shortcomings, and I make no excuses for his. But, don't forget what good he has done despite these failures.

Remember: If we “rm -rf”’d all the great artists, writers, and others who were also moral reprobates, we wouldn’t have much of what we prize in our culture, whichever culture you care to name. Yeah, it’s complicated.

I’m an American: This country was founded on destroying the aboriginal peoples here, and importing other people as slaves, so that it probably cost many millions of lives for America as it now stands to exist. Was it “worth it”? There’s no way to say. My ancestors came from Ireland during the potatoe famine, from Sweden, from Canada because they were oppressed Acadians; some were Cherokee, some were probably Black. Many oppressed peoples came to America to escape oppression and to make a better life for themselves. They didn’t know they came to a land which had been stolen from it’s owners. The fact that this country was stolen from it’s owners is a negative vector. The fact that this country is a beacon of freedom is a positive vector. You have to sum them up. That’t how it is with everything in the world.

The "Divine Comedy" is actually life in this world.

1. LovesTha

Re: It's so annoying when people you admire turn out to be a, uh, you-know, uh, Dick ...

There is a big difference between erasing what someone has done and thinking they are unsuited to continue to hold a seat of influence.

8. bazza Silver badge

Bye Bye FSF

It's going to become reputationally damaging to be seen funding the FSF. Which may lead to its collapse.

Question is what happens then? An awful lot of copyright for OSS software has been assigned to the FSF for safe keeping. If the FSF goes belly up that copyright is unenforceable, and therefore its a free for all. The comment at the top of the file might say GPL blah blah, but it's irrelevant if the owner doesn't exist with no legal successor.

And, unlike copyright assigned to a person, there's no estate to claim the copyright for the next 75 years (or whatever). Instead, normally a failing corporate entity would be bought by another corporate entity for its stock of copyright ownership.

But who or what could or would be able to or be allowed to buy the FSF?

1. LovesTha

Re: Bye Bye FSF

FSF2.0 - the one without RMS

1. jake Silver badge

They could call their new club G.R.O.S.S. (which stands for Get Rid Of Slimy StallmanS, of course).

And then we'd have all the professional hand-wringers in one place, where we can keep an eye on them. I seriously doubt it'd put much of a dent in FSF membership.

Deep apologies, and much appreciation, to Bill Watterson.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

Sadly, I suspect there needs to be an organisational fork for the reasons outlined in posts above this.

However, there is now a membership sifting process occurring with those who find FSF 1.0 unsustainable moving on. This leaves those who are comfortable with FSF 1.0 in place, and therefore unlikely to actively manage the change process in a sensible way.

We shall have to see what transpires.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes! Please do this!

Then all the professionally offended people can congregate in one place and spend all their time debating how offensive the term "FOSS" is.

And meanwhile, the rest of us go back to actually getting stuff done.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
            Windows

The wheel turns, the prayer flags flap in the wind. The rice bowl must be filled each day.

Best of luck with the stuff you do.

2. DrXym

I doubt it will "collapse". It will just continue to fade into irrelevance.

If you look at what the FSF actually does these days, it's mostly advocacy and project hosting. e.g. they host GNU C/C++ compiler (gcc) even though most commits are coming from places like Google, Red Hat, IBM etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the return of RMS is the shove that motivates projects to move somewhere else. Even if it means forking. Even if it means the FSF moaning that their repo is the "official" one even if everyone decamps to another one and carries on their development there.

1. DS999 Silver badge

OpenOffice all over again

It forked to LibreOffice and everyone uses that now, while the handful of people who still work on OpenOffice will try to tell anyone who listens that they're the official free office suite.

3. Warm Braw

its a free for all

There is some irony in being concerned that the demise of a "Free Software" licence might result in free software.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"But who or what could or would be able to or be allowed to buy the FSF?"

From whom could it be bought? I assume the FSF is the property of its members.

If the entire membership were to resign en masse then this would be a non-starter. In that case it would be abandoned property to be dealt with in whatever the legislation of the relevant state decrees. In the UK, AFAIK, this would be the Crown. Would it be the government in the US?

If a few members remained then it would very much depend on their outlook.

It may well be that provision is made in the FSF's constitution. There's also the question as to what the commercial value of the FSF's IP might be, given the terms of the GPL and the fact that in at least some cases there are alternatives, such as the BSD userland which is under a more permissive licence.

1. bazza Silver badge

It could be an interesting situation if everyone but Stallman resigned. He'd then have sole control of those copyrights...

I can't think of any US examples, but things like this has happened before; Belgian nuns who have found themselves effectively in sole ownership of their convent who sold up to retire to the south of France: last-standing members of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes who have sold their lodges to housing developers.

I can't for the moment see that the copyrights themselves are worth a bean, but what could be monetarily valuable is selling commitments to not enforce copyright, which is otherwise the mechanism by which the GPL is enforced. Slip a few $ to the remnants of the FSF, the FSF turns a blind eye to non-compliant use of the copyrighted source code.

Having the copyrights owned by the US Gov could be a sensible way forward. It'd be a bit like public information - the government is obliged (and generally does a good job - e.g. see NASA) to make it available to the public, and maintain public control over ownership. Which is pretty much what was intended in the first place. Let's face it - if it were Uncle Sam enforcing copyright, that'd be a lot more legally potent than the FSF doing that.

5. katrinab Silver badge
      Alert

If the FSF goes belly-up, the liquidators will sell the copyrights to the highest bidder, which will probably be a copyright/patent troll, most likely a hedge fund set up specifically for that purpose.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Why would it liquidate? Its a non profit, there are no owners so it would simply cease to be. The copyright it owns would be like any other orphaned copyright - not in the public domain, but no known owner to contact to gain permission to use it. Its not like if a self published author dies leaving no heirs that his works go on the block. They just enter limbo, and no one would legally be able to republish his works so long for 75 years after his death (subject to future increases by congress)

That would be irrelevant though for the FSF, everything they released was covered under the GPL so would continue to be free to use under the same terms.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No one with the right to enforce the GPL?

1. bazza Silver badge

That's the point. The "stick" behind GPL is that there's a copyright owner who will sue you if the terms of the license aren't adhered to.

A third party in receipt of a compiled program but being denied the source code can't sue the supplier of the compiled program because it's not their copyright to enforce. The worst they can do is make a song and dance about it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why would it liquidate?

Because people calling for it to liquidate don't understand what it is.

And they're not really interested.

The people who want him gone haven't actually read up on what the FSF is or what Stallman actually said. They read an article on medium, and that's 100% of the research they did.

But you can't blame them - It's not reasonable to expect people to do things like verifying sources or reading more than one article before forming an opinion. That sounds like hard work.

I've seen so many people arguing that RMS is damaging some "employer's reputation" as if the FSF was a company that had shareholders to satiate.

I'd find it amusing if it wasn't so sad and dangerous.

3. katrinab Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

If it was unable to pay its debts / court judgements then it could be liquidated.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> But who or what could or would be able to or be allowed to buy the FSF?

Nobody can "buy" the FSF. The FSF is a registered 501(c)(3) charity, with a legally-enforcable mandate to work in the best interest of software freedom (as defined in their very carefully written articles of association).

They could sell the copyrights they hold, but they would have to demonstrate that the buyer would be similarly mandated to work in the best interest of software freedom (now and for all time).

The FSF could exist indefinitely without funding, so long as there are people willing to volunteer to keep it alive. This is pretty much the story of FSF's history. Free Software and the FSF isn't profitable for big business, so they have always had to get by with minimal resources.

9. sabroni Silver badge

“when a fetus has Down’s syndrome, you should abort it and try again.”

But presumably not when they are "neurologically atypical, consistent with past self-characterization as borderline autistic."

Yeah, please go on shouting your support for this man. It makes it very clear where you stand on a lot of issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: “when a fetus has Down’s syndrome, you should abort it and try again.”

Did you know that of mothers who learn their fetus has Down's Syndrome, over two thirds of them in the US, and over 90% of them in Europe, choose to have their pregnancy terminated?

Do you similarly despise all these women?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It makes it very clear where you stand on a lot of issues.

"You're either with us or you're against us"

"That's a real nice family you've got there. It'd be a shame if something happened to 'em"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

“When a fetus has Down’s syndrome, you should abort it and try again.”

Telling people what they shall or shall not do with their own bodies is typical of those with a tendency for totalitarianism.

10. Zenco

Let those without sin, cast the first stone...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Did you downvote Jesus Christ own words? It's Matthew 18:6...

I didn't believe the Cult of Stallman reached this point...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps the downvotes are because JC never existed and making such a reference is at the very least unhelpful. I know mine was.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

JC Never existed ...

I know we're all supposed to be behind Starmer now, but come on ...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It was just an answer to another citation from the Gospels. If you think what is written there is right, you can't just take what you like and ignore what you don't like (you would look like a priest, otherwise)

Not always the Gospels are very kind towards bad behaviours. Wish another citation?

"And if your hand—even your stronger hand—causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell."

Looks this too apt for FSF and Stallman....

Sins are forgiven.... to those who truly repent. Which doesn't look Stallman case.

And if JS never existed, or existed but wasn't divine, the words are still good.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

If you think what is written there is right, you can't just take what you like and ignore what you don't like

Someone hasn't been paying attention to the last few thousand years of history... ;)

3. Denarius

Now I know education systems have failed for such assertions to be made. Straight out of 19th century academia. See Josephus who was around at the time.

2. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

Then suddenly a rock flew out crowd and hit Jesus right between the eyes. He looked out over the crowd, and pointing to an old lady at the back shouted --- "MOM, KNOCK IT OFF!!!"

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

For those who may not understand this joke, it is based on the notion that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was without sin, so she could be qualified to cast the first stone. Her aim was off though, it should not have hit Jesus, but rather the 'woman taken in adultery'.

The notion that Mary is/was* sinless is Roman Catholic dogma.

*Many people believe that Mary never died, as such, but was bodily taken up into heaven (assumed), others believe she died before being assumed. Lots of clever people have debated this kind of stuff for centuries, so I'm just presenting the bare facts without comment.

11. hammarbtyp

The world keeps turning

Firstly we have to accept, whatever we feel about Stallman's private morals and statements, he was a pioneer and leader in the open source revolution and as coders or users we have a lot to be thankful for.

However, the world has moved on a lot since those days. Open source is no longer the plucky freedom fighter fighting the corporate behemoths, pretty well every corporation in the world accepts it and utilises it. Companies like Red Hat are the big companies themselves and even Microsoft has embraced it in a way that was unimaginable even a few years ago. Therefore, the role of the FSF is no longer sniping from the trenches but working out how to create links and connections with big business while maintaining its ideals.

There is no world where I can see Stallman playing a constructive part in that. It would be like inviting Che Guevara to take up a cabinet post in a democratically elected government. Booch was dead right when he said that if the FSF cannot do without Stallman it is no longer a progressive organization, just a cult

1. jake Silver badge

Re: The world keeps turning

If one really wanted to make that simile stick, one should also argue that the Fellows at IBM are also leaders of a cult. As is anybody with Emeritus as their title. Etc.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Point missed there;

if you are so dependent on RMS, then you have a cult.......,

My emphasis.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Trot out this false equivalence as often as you like, jake. It still won't run.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Firstly we have to accept, whatever we feel about Stallman's private morals and statements, he was a pioneer and leader in the open source revolution and as coders or users we have a lot to be thankful for."

Free software, not open source. RMS has nothing to do with open source.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Read up on your history - some of us remember it.

Stallman had strong views on freedom for software, but there was a lot of debate at the time between many people about these concepts. He had a massive amount to do with open source and exactly what the difference is between it and free software. Until Stallman, most open source software was issued (on Usenet, of course) either without any sort of statement about copyright or licence, or an explicit assignment to the public domain. Without Stallman we would not understand the difference between the different types of FOSS, and the need for licences and copyrights, like we do today.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Firstly we have to accept, whatever we feel about Stallman's private morals and statements, he was a pioneer and leader in the open source revolution and as coders or users we have a lot to be thankful for."

He wasn't the pioneer - BSD was the pioneer. His coding is frankly, shit. I don't know if they've updated it since I read it, but the GNU coding standards encouraged some really bad practices. Those standards emanated from Stallman. The GNU code that he was primarily responsible for was - in Stallman's own words - not meant to be any good, just to be his definition of "free". So we have GCC with it's deliberately non-modular structure and Emacs which is an utter mess. Both have been forked multiple times to try and fix their deficiencies, with the official GNU versions languishing for years until the GNU maintainers grudgingly accept they've lost the battle and merge considerable portions of the forks.

1. Alan Mackenzie

"So we have GCC with it's deliberately non-modular structure and Emacs which is an utter mess."

Oh, really? Emacs is _not_ an "utter mess". It is not an exemplary piece of well written software, but for crying out loud, it's 45 years old. It was superbly well designed, and decades later is still in use, maintainable, and maintained. (i'm an Emacs maintainer.) Emacs is also superbly user friendly, if not learner friendly, and was for decades one of the very few serious editors there was.

And yes, Richard Stallman is still involved in Emacs's development, and I'm happy that he is. His behaviour on the developers' mailing list is entirely correct, and he has this habit about being right in difficult questions to do with software. Maybe this is why powerful forces wish to marginalize him.

Do bullies like Red Hat, ever consider where their billion dollar per year turnover came from? It didn't appear out of thin air, it resulted from the vision, talents, and hard work of RMS and the people he inspired. It may well be that such a project could only have come from somebody like Stallman. It would seem that gratitude, and not just a little, is called for.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Both have been forked multiple times to try and fix their deficiencies

And yet strangely exactly zero of these forks has taken off and replaced the "shit" version with something better.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the role of the FSF is no longer sniping from the trenches but working out how to create links and connections with big business while maintaining its ideals.

Says who?

Not if they want my donations. If they want my money, they'll promote the interests of free software. Which is mutually exclusive with "developing connections with big business" as far as I can see.

12. coconuthead

Apparently, like Adobe Creative Cloud, Stallman is hard to uninstall.

13. mihares

Progressive hierarchies.

“Curiously many from Central and Eastern Europe and Russia”

Oh I see. There’s a hierarchy then: don’t let others think you might say something “against women” comes before the whole not being a racialist thing.

I suppose that if I were from the US, my two enormous adenoids and me would be very offended, take it on to twatter and demand(!!1!) the removal of El Reg.

Being born in southern Europe and currently living in the central sort, I’ll just make fun of you a little bit, and then read on.

Peace.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Progressive hierarchies.

I think the point is that the Russian Troll Factories - very much a real thing - have form when it comes to pushing for objectives that increase internal division in "the west". Simultaneous support of BLM and the NRA; support for Trump, Brexit, Marine Le Pen, that sort of thing.

I certainly didn't read this as "eastern european support is less important", I read it as it's likely an organised campaign from some group with a motive.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"An organised campaign from some group with a motive"

Does seem that way though there's nothing to really conclude at this stage.

Maybe RMS has a bigger-than-expected following in Russia?

The uneven distribution of signatories' location leaves us curious. That's it in a nutshell. If there was an unexpected level of support in another part of the world -- China or Canada or Dubai, wherever -- we would note that as well.

C.

1. mihares

Re: "An organised campaign from some group with a motive"

Now I’m curious: just why does that seem that way?

Is it that the name Nicolaj sounds more foreign that Todd to English-speaking ears?

Is it that you think that in central, eastern Europe and Russia Kremlin undercover officials recruit the youth in the streets to post with their real name and location in support of a fat hippie?

Or are you implying somehow that in the regions listed above there are less developed culture and feelings?

Or is it because it’s cold and smells funny there?

Or what?

Also: did you notice that the “3000+“ that would like to free(rms); rms = NULL; seem to come from the United States? What do we make of that?

2. jake Silver badge

Re: "An organised campaign from some group with a motive"

I suspect the level of support is actual, natural support, regardless of which part of the word it is coming from.

It is the vilification process that is being driven by forces unknown. It's easier to whip up hatred than it is to nurture support. People with clues as to human behavio(u)r can easily use this fact to gain an advantage in any given political setting.

So the question becomes "Who will benefit the most from this?"

2. mihares

The underlying assumption is that Russian Trolls from the Factory did not discover yet that you can register yourself on a site with a non-Russian sounding name, or without disclosing your real location, I suppose...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think the point is that the Russian Troll Factories - very much a real thing - have form when it comes to pushing for objectives that increase internal division in "the west". Simultaneous support of BLM and the NRA; support for Trump, Brexit, Marine Le Pen, that sort of thing.

From what I've heard there's no need for the Russian trolls to stoke up support for her. It seems that Macron, the other political elites in France, and the European Commission are doing a good enough job of that themselves with no help from the East.

14. Plest Silver badge

Stallman is simply too arrogant and tactless

Stallman is arrogant, opinionated and pig-headed. Used in the correct circumstances and at the right time, they work well, launching free software and pushing it required a single-minded and determined individual. In other matters he likes to think that simply because he got one thing right that he is therefore right about every topic. He's entitled to his own opinions but he needs to know that there are consequences.

Yes, we all know kids will start having sex from the age their bits start working properly but the law is very clear and it's there for a good reason to protect those vulnerable and immature kids who would otherwise be taken advantage of. Therefore while Stallman may wish to express his ill thought out opinions about the matter, in this case his single-minded attitude, his inability to see the wider picture for the whole of a very, very complex society simply makes him look like an idiot at best and a peadophile at worst.

In order to be a leader or promoter of worldwide organisation requires tact and understanding of a diverse audience, that includes gender and race and I'm afraid Stallman simply doesn't possess the required skills and should be cast and left adrift.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stallman is simply too arrogant and tactless

17 and 21 in love

vs.

17 and 68 at the drop of a hat.

Huge difference.

15. PeterM42
    Headmaster

If an organisation is DEPENDENT on one person.........

..... they should be working on replacing him/her with other people who can do the same job.

Same principle as having a backup of your data. (Which we all do, obviously?!)

16. Fred Daggy Silver badge

Arms length, literally

I think this is where the FSF have really shot themselves in the foot.

Need an ally, a thinker, but someone a little bit dodgy? Time for a technical committee, or academics forum, a think tank, or other such thing that is slightly at arms length. Close enough to be associated to get the credit, If something fishy turns up, the plausible deniability kicks in and most (never all) bad smell stays away.

This can let the board take care of "business" type matters while letting the more creative types get on with their part.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares about the FSF anymore

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like in the 90s they funded the developmrnt of useful code ... now it seems like they have devolved into a charity that exists to raise money so that they can convince people that it's important to keep giving them money.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stallman was always a very nasty psychopath..

Whenever there is yet another horrible story about Stallman I always think back with a smile to a conversion I had with someone from MIT back in 1986. They were visiting the company I worked for in California to add a feature to a commercial product and when I heard they were from MIT I asked them jokingly - so you know Slallman then? The guy visibly shuddered and replied - I have an office down the corridor from that d*ickhead. So I replied - That bad then? The only comment in reply was - Even worse...

Now the punchline to the story is that in the summer of 1986 GCC was still a mess of badly written 0.9 beta (ish) code yet even on the West Coast two thousand miles away from MIT Stallman had already established a reputation as a totally nasty piece of garbage. A horrible human being. There were some unpleasant people around at the time but none where in the same league as Stallman for sheer personal nastiness.

There was nothing original about Open Source. The idea had been kicking around since the 1960's and had been pretty well defined by the late 1970's. Every single statement of Stallmans at the time was unoriginal and derivative but like all psychopaths he was great at claiming it was all his own ideas. It was nt. As many others have pointed out over the decades some of the key ideas behind open source etc would have had an easier acceptance if it wasnt for the unrelenting nastiness, the never ending grandstanding, the utterly nauseating self-aggrandizement that Stallman has always engaged in.

The world would be a much better place without people like Stallman. You should look at his code sometime. The stuff from the 1980's. Its really really bad. Embarrassingly so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stallman was always a very nasty psychopath..

Well, I must say, you tell a very interesting vague and unsubstantiated story with zero concrete accusations told third-hand by an anonymous source on an internet forum.

And you even had the courage to label him "psychopath" without posting a copy of your medical credentials and notes from your sessions with him. Bold.

I'm totally going to start burning Stallman effigies and calling for him to have his life's work taken away from him based on this. Seems pretty solid to me.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stallman pulled a "bull in the China shop" grandstanding move in announcing his "return", which just goes to prove he has no BUSINESS returning. He's a mouthpiece and a showman and hasn't done squat USEFUL for the movement in decades. He's just leeching a living off his former fame. :(

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grady Booch, IBM Fellow and chief scientist for software engineering, scoffed at the FSF's claims about its dedication to fighting for software freedom. "Saying it does not make it so," he said via Twitter. "If you are so dependent on RMS, then you have a cult, not an enduring, vibrant organization."

Says the pioneer of the cult of UML ;)

21. WolfFan Silver badge

Freedom of Association.

I do not choose to associate with RMS, or with the FSF if they insist on sticking with him. I used to send in actual money to the FSF; this has stopped. I am simply no longer supporting them. I am confident that they won’t notice the pittance that I no longer send them.

I will observe those who do support RSM and FSF, and evaluate my response based on the situation. It is quite likely that I will be dropping support for other persons or entities.

This is a personal choice. _My_ personal choice. I do not insist that others drop support too. I merely point out that it is quite likely that those who don’t may get to carry on without me. No doubt my contributions, monetary and otherwise, are so minor that they won’t be missed. That is not the point. The point is that I will not support RMS and the FSF. I will, if necessary, move my systems to software which has as little to do with RMS and the FSF as possible. This may mean using commercial software rather than FOSS. So be it.

Those who take the time to look up my posting record will see that I am NOT a member of the woke SJW brigade. However, there are certain matters which I deal with on principles. Adults having sex with children is one of them. Another is zoophilia; a look at my handle shows that I quite like wolves. I even have a wolf bitch among the animals sharing quarters with me. (You would NOT believe the paperwork required for that. And while it’s not true that it’s impossible to house train wolves, it is quite difficult.) Baroness Margaret Hilda (yes, named for a certain greengrocer’s daughter) is big, beautiful, and considers herself to be the second ranking female, behind only She Who Must Be Obeyed, in the household. (Several of the cats may disagree. They don’t do that near the Baroness. Or, come to think of it, near SWMBO.) I can clearly imagine her reaction to anyone attempting, umm, ‘advances’, and severely annoying an adult wolf is a Very Bad Idea(™). Now, the Baroness is far better equipped to defend herself than many other animals, but the issue of consent remains… and is basically the same issue as with underage humans. I refuse, on principle, to support anyone who tries to minimize the issue. That would include RMS. And if the FSF supports him, that includes them.

I will not force anyone to drop support; others have the right to freely associate with whoever they want to. _I_ have the right to freely associate, or to not associate, with anyone I want to. Or don’t want to. I chose to not associate with RMS and the FSF. YMMV.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has he given any explanation for why it is was appropriate to resign previously but not any more?

For someone for whom principles are so important, I would have thought this would be too.

23. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Too little, too late

The issue isn't so much that RMS re-joined the FSF (although it's really not advisable), or even the Minsky comments (where as far as I can see he may be technically correct, if tone deaf and unable to see any context or issues with association).

The issues are that he came back and his first action was to deliberately refuse to apologise, and then despite the backlash there's no response for a month. There's plenty of evidence of his behaviour online, and I've heard a number of stories to back this up from people who are into open source and have personally met Stallman, from years ago.

You're allowed to make mistakes and change. However when there's no evidence that you've changed, no real apology, or if you're unable to change, perhaps being part of a public organisation is not for you?

24. Hugo

IT vs politics

I haven't read up about whatever comments Stallman is supposed to have made. However if he did suggest sex with young girls is somehow ok, I find that repulsive; especially given I have a 10 year old daughter.

However I'm also really not liking this current trend around people making everything so political. We need to find the balance.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have Some Context on Stallman

Albeit hearsay.

I was involved with an SF convention in Massachusetts in the Boston area in the early 1990s, and his name came up as a guest.

It made sense, what was then called "Free" Software was a thing, he was a local, and there were a lot of computer geeks, including some FSF employees who went to the convention.

I don't recall how it ended up, but I do recall people saying, "Make sure that his staff interactions do not involve young women, and we need to make sure that he does not hit on underage attendees."

This is NOT direct knowledge, and in those unenlightened days there was no outrage over his behavior, it was just an acknowledgement that he was high maintenance for these reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like