back to article Lenovo's latest gaming monster: Eight cores, 3.2GHz, giant heat sink, two fans. Oh, and it has a phone bolted on

Lenovo's latest tech features top-shelf components and new cooling technologies. Designed for gaming, the Chinese firm claims it provides a 35 per cent performance boost plus a full suite of premium features over the previous generation. The kit is also equipped with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 888 5G mobile platform. Yep. Because …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But can it....

make telephone calls ?

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: But can it....

But can it....

make telephone calls ?

Who cares? A colleague of mine at the time of the first iPhone bought one as soon as he could. He proudly showed it off in the office and explained what it could do etc. Anyway day two and he's also seen sporting a Nokia, taking calls on that etc. The reason he explains is that his iPhone isn't really a phone.......It's a touchscreen pocket computer and modem with phone functionality tacked on seemingly as an after thought. He was therefore paying for two contracts but he was a flash git and said he didn't care. Obviously things have massively improved since then on the fruity mobiles.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

Clearly, he was holding it wrong!

(Oh come on, a day goes by and no one said it yet?)

2. werdsmith Silver badge

It is correct, the first iPhone was 2G in a 3G world and was an absolutely shit phone with a cool UI.

2. Rustbucket

Oh, and it has a phone bolted on

. . . which breaks really, really easily.

https://www.techspot.com/news/89249-lenovo-new-gaming-phone-fails-durability-test-spectacular.html

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Oh, and it has a phone bolted on

It's Lenovo, durability isn't something they consider important.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Oh, and it has a phone bolted on

I wouldn't touch Moto/Lenovo ever again after getting caught up in their repair scam and bad software. The scam works like this: You're told that you can make a full-price deposit on a new phone, return your phone for repairs within a few days, then get your deposit back minus any out-of-warranty costs. You're told to follow this procedure exactly to avoid losing the deposit. You agree. A DOA or smashed phone arrives in the mail so you call support. Support recommends keeping the dead phone but you refuse and return the dead phone. A week later you're charged full price for a new phone because you broke the warranty contract by returning the incorrect phone. You call support and they assure you that this mistake will be fixed. You receive another dead phone and now you're charged the price of two phones. This repeats until you report fraud charges to your credit card company to get all of your money back. I eventually had a new credit card number and a fixed phone, but it was later killed by a bad software update.

3. robn

ATA?

As in the precursor to SATA, using those huge ribbon cables?

4. sanmigueelbeer
    Joke

the Lenovo Legion Phone Duel 2 with 16GB/512GB memory option and charging dock included will start at around a cool €1,000

€1,000??? Does Lenovo think they are Apple or something?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Obviously, people really really really want to play Minesweeper...

1. sbt
        Coat

really want to play Minesweeper

Not recommended; if you find a mine the wrong way the haptic feedback will rip your arms off.

1. Ian 55

Re: really want to play Minesweeper

The only way to play Minesweeper!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...the AN/PRC-77.

5. mark l 2 Silver badge

I am still surprised Sony hasn't leveraged the Playstation IP to release a proper gaming phone that could stream games online and play the huge back catalogue of Playstation games going back to the mid 90s.

I am sure it would sell bucket loads if done correctly

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

still surprised about SONY ...

yeah it's weird. I mean I can stream PS3 and PS4 games onto my laptop using PSNow perfectly acceptably, but I can't stream them to my phone. I am also not allowed to use the remote play feature over mobile data, which is weird --- it should be my choice, surely?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They have. Except for a few niche cases it really didn't sell too well.

3. GraXXoR

Didn't they try something like that a while bacK?

Still, markets change and it might actually sell better now, what with handhelds being taken seriously..

Sometimes, a company can move a little too early or be considered "too ahead of its time" Sony has often been accused of that with some of their earlier palm size form factor full fat PCs and so they have gone and become somewhat conservative in their old age, of late.

Nikon was the same. They brought out the Nikon V1, a serious professional MILF (OY!! I mean Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format!!) camera a decade ago slap bang in the middle of the period of DSLR mastery. Admittedly they were more widely know as EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras...

The problem was on of image... no pun intended... They were considered to be toys by the marketplace and it was only in 2015 or thereabouts that they started to be taken seriously...

By then Nikon were already winding down their mirrorless line to refocus on DSLR and closed their last Nikon 1 factory, only to be completely outmanoeuvred by pentax, olympus, Panasonic and sony.

They were the last company to pick up mirrorless after having squandered their entire technical leadership and had to basically start from zero in 2018.

Sony seem to suffer from this disconnect, creating a nascent technology, having it sort of be successful but then have the market move in a different direction, only to have their original concepts reworked and made successful by others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pentax aren't mirrorless

Pentax released a mirrorless camera (the K-01), but abandoned the idea. Their current range (K-1, K-3, K-70, 645) is all DSLR.

4. MJI Silver badge

Was a flop, but waht about a Vita with phone?

Unfortunately.

But imagine the following device.

A Vita with a built in phone?

Vita was a rather nice bit of hardware.

6. colin79666
    FAIL

Did nobody learn from the Nokia N-Gage?

7. john.jones.name
    Go

APAC will eat this up (inc Australia)

Honestly I see this doing exceptionally well in APAC

what would have been nice is the ability like the Motorola desktop mode to the Edge+ to a display over video-enabled USB-C or USB-C-to-HDMI.

basically allowing Playing mobile games on the big screen as a bonus it allows a controller and big screen...

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: APAC will eat this up (inc Australia)

I do like the handheld game Killzone Mercenary, a twin stick shooter on a handheld.

8. Annihilator

PSP Phone

Ah, I remember how el reg mocked the concept...

https://www.theregister.com/2007/05/23/bt_sony_to_turn_psp_into_phone/

9. NanoMeter

Almost good

Not 27 inch screen, no keyboard and not fully QHD. Else it's good specifications.

10. DiViDeD

Would the phrase "shuttup and take my money" be appropriate at this juncture?

1. seven of five

Ask my kids: Certainly.

11. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

But it runs andriod. That means in a year, maybe two or three if you're lucky, they'll stop sending updates to it because I presume the manufacturers don't want to spend money on modifying android for their device.

Anyway be that as it may, the specs are impressive. I can't help thinking that the whine from a 15000 RPM and a 12,500RPM fan will be impressive too.

12. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

What a waste...

8 cores, 3.2GHz... and all it gets run are vehicles for ads and attempts to trick the user into buying stuff.

... mobile "gaming" is a joke.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like