back to article We finally get to spot a burnt-out comet and what is it covered in? Talcum powder

Not only did a telescope on Earth spot, for the first time in history, an extinct comet on a close fly-by of our home world but scientists now reckon the space rock is covered in a substance similar to talcum powder. Night-sky watchers from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) and the Koyama Astronomical …

1. Andy Non Silver badge
    Coat

That will teach the comets

to use sun lotion. Much better than applying talcum powder after you've been sizzled to a crisp by the sun.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: That will teach the comets

I wonder if there’s talc around Uranus?

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Nobody is brave enough to find out.

2. Sanctimonious Prick
      Devil

...to the Moon.

Sun.

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

Failed though?

Even with all that talcum, all comets still have shiny noses.

3. Chris G

Maybe

It's not an old comet but a youngster that has been recently bathed and talced?

1. DJV Silver badge

Ding dong!

...or it's an interstellar Avon lady plying her (rather limited selection of) wares.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Ding dong!

There isn't a volcano alive that would dare to swallow Avon.

2. Andy Non Silver badge

So long as the interstellar Avon lady doesn't arrive at my door at 30,000 mph. Ding Dong Bang.

1. TRT Silver badge

At that speed the BANG would arrive before the Ding Dong.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Maybe

It's not an old comet but a youngster that has been recently bathed and talced?

This is obviously true. And I don't know why we pay these scientists, given how rubbish they clearly are. They're assuming the comet is old, because it's lost all its water. Whereas what they actually need to do is look for the towel, that has no doubt been discarded somewhere nearby. This will show them where all the liquids have gone...

As well as being a good general principle for life, in that it's vital to know where your towel is.

Also be on the look-out for any rubber ducks... Actually, we may have already found that: link to BBC.

3. Sanctimonious Prick
      Happy

Re: Maybe

And if they find Old Spice there, please bombard it with kitty litter!

4. Denarius

interesting

seems consistent with Deep Impact results. Huge cloud of clays which was not expected.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It was 3.5 million kilometers away

And an Earth-based telescope allowed boffins to determine that it has talcum powder on the surface. The image quality, power and precision to establish that is simply staggering. Well done.

No so well done for the wiki page though, it doesn't mention the Subaru telescope at all.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: It was 3.5 million kilometers away

@Pascal

You've had almost an hour and you haven't edited the page yet?

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
      Joke

You give them too much credit. It's only a 1 in a scale of 1 to 10 for hardness.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That Subaru telescope is certainly Impreza-ive.

(anon for obvious reasons)

6. Sgt_Oddball
    Trollface

Spaceballs...

Always helps having a spot of talc on them... Stops them getting sweaty and sticking together.

7. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Interstellar Dust

I think a sample return mission launched from the Johnson & Johnson Space Center should be undertaken.

1. herman

Re: Interstellar Dust

Ugh, there may be whiff of a surprise in that sample though.

8. Mike 137 Silver badge

Gains and losses

Apparently comets both gain material gradually as they travel through space and lose it as they pass high gravity objects. However such meetings are incredibly rare because the distances between stars are so vast. In an article in the Atlantic about comet Borisov yesterday, UCLA astronomer David Jewitt is quoted as saying "If you had a collision between the Milky Way and another Milky Way, you could collide the galaxies and no two stars would ever hit".

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Gains and losses

We get to test that in a few billion years as Andromeda collides with the Milky Way. I don't think I'll be making the observations personally though.

2. David Nash Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Gains and losses

Do they really "lose it as they pass high gravity objects"?

I know they lose material but is it really related to high-gravity objects, the implication being that they are "sucking" material off the comet? Gravitational force is proportional to the masses of both objects so such objects would affect the comet itself just as much as the loose material, no?

9. Arthur the cat Silver badge

The original warm fuzzies!

When comets are warmed by sunlight, they are typically wrapped in an envelope of gases that give it a fuzzy appearance.

10. Santa from Exeter
    Flame

330 Degrees

At 330 ˚C it's probably got a bit sweaty around the nether regions, I know I appreciate a bit of talc in those circumstances.

Icon for the burning sensation.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Brings a whole new meaning...

...to the phrase Meteor Shower.

13. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

If one of those hit earth...

...it would cause a towelling inferno.

14. Chronos
    Alien

Utterly wrong

It's an alien gummy milk bottle covered in that powdery flour they use to stop 'em sticking together. Even aliens drop them behind the couch of their flying saucer control centre once in a while.

The real threat to the Sol system is the Andromedan Hard Gum. The black ones are made of dark matter...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like