back to article Ice Lake, Baby: Intel's 10nm 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable server processors to arrive at last

Intel on Tuesday announced the availability of its "Ice Lake" 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable processors, intended for applications running on servers, high-end workstations, and in data centers. And, yes, this is Intel's first Xeon Scalable processor family on its much-delayed 10nm process node. "Our 3rd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redundant marketing BS

"Our 3rd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable platform is the most flexible and performant in our history"

Surwe, as if you would proudly announce a chip that would be less flexible and performant than what was made before. Hurray!

Also, I note it supports BOATKUWC, i.e. Boatload Of Acronyms To Keep Up With the Competition..

No, I haven't had my coffee yet, why?

1. John Riddoch

Re: Redundant marketing BS

I recall the adverts for Ariel/Persil (washing powder for clothes) in the UK in the 80s where they showed how much cleaner "new" Ariel was vs "old" Ariel. I think it was Jasper Carrot who opined that the tag for the version from 10 years previous must have been "cleans some of your clothes some of the time".

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Optomised for data centers and cloud.

When you only have 2 volume customers and they are both working as hard as they can to fab their own replacements for your flagship product.

3. doublelayer Silver badge

"Surwe, as if you would proudly announce a chip that would be less flexible and performant than what was made before. Hurray!"

You might, though. They can sell chips on other benefits. It could be similarly performant as the old one but a lot more energy-efficient. Or as performant per core but capable of more parallelism. Or as performant on standard tasks but with extra acceleration for particular operations. Those are at least possible alternatives, albeit ones that don't often make the headline announcement.

4. Phil Kingston

>Surwe, as if you would proudly announce a chip that would be less flexible and performant than what was made before.

The real skill here is spewing new marketing speak for chips year after year.

2. Jim-234

Is that 2.65x speed improvement over 3 generations ago core for core and clock for clock?

I seem to recall this same kind of thing going on every Xeon CPU launch, where they say the new processor is 2.65x or something faster than some xxx generation but then when you look at the processors that are lined up for comparison, usually the new latest one has a bunch more cores than the old one.

Considering that core count matters greatly in software licencing these days, it might be nice if they could clearly show what it looks like if you compare the different generations of CPUs using exact same core count and exact same clock speed...

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: Is that 2.65x speed improvement over 3 generations ago core for core and clock for clock?

I believe the 11900k is quite a bit faster than the 6900k.

But how does it compare to the 10900k?

The most positive review I’ve seen of it described it as “a waste of sand”. I wonder if this Xeon is any better?

1. Denarius
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: Is that 2.65x speed improvement over 3 generations ago core for core and clock for clock?

@katrinab: ROFLMA. Very witty.

3. Some IT Guy

new Software Guard Extensions!

"we have Software Guard Extensions..." because the swiss cheese chaos of the X86 with all of its glorious undocumented or depreciated registers are still cooked in there.

4. lnLog
    Trollface

yes, flexible in your history

"Our 3rd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable platform is the most flexible and performant in our history"

But not as flexible as AMD EPYC enabling all features for all versions...

5. LenG

Performant?

I had to look this word up. Apparently it is an engineering jargon word basically meaning something which works as expected. So how the chip could be the most performant boggles me, but it does seem to imply no previous Xeon worked as well as it should ...

6. Patched Out
    Meh

Yawn...

Wake me when you have achieved mass production of 7nm CPUs/GPUs. You know, like your main competitor has for over two years now?

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Yawn...

By the time Intel makes a stable 7nm chip, AMD & the rest will probably be making AttoMeter chips. Hell, AMD could start making *tortilla* chips & would STILL leave Intel in the dust. =-)p

2. John Savard

That's not fair. Intel's 10nm chips have a feature size and transistor density comparable to what the competitors are selling as 7nm! Of course, that was more important before we knew that they didn't have comparable frequencies.

3. Snapper

And Apple has 5nm already and is aiming for 3nm.

7. John Savard

What, not 14+++?

Is this a higher frequency 10nm process than the one Intel didn't use for the i9-11900K and its brethren because 10nm was too slow? Or perhaps business users don't need the high frequencies that gamers demand, and so a slower chip that uses less electricity works for them? Oh, I see: they've upped the core count, and database can do with throughput, it's gamers that need low latency.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What, not 14+++?

Highest base clock is 3.6GHz (see table in "Next Platform" article). But recent Xeons have not been screamers in terms of frequency, because it is more power-efficient to run concurrent workloads on an increased number of cores rather than at increased frequency - as long as there is enough work to go round.

GPUs are also an example of that effect - taking it to an extreme, perhaps - and I suspect that many gamers only buy high-end CPUs for the bragging rights. IMO for gaming it is better to select a GPU to match your budget, then get the cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck the GPU. And even then, go for sustained clock frequency rather than CPU core count.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: What, not 14+++?

> then get the cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck the GPU.

Well I suspect the real bottleneck is the PCIe 3.0 bus, however, if you use a decent AMD board (X570) you get 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes...

8. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Facepalm

Who the what?

Galois Field New Instructions (GFNI)

After a look around it is the mathematician, not the Gauloises cigarette.

Had me confused for a bit though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who the what?

Galois fields are used for checksum algorithms in Barcodes - this I know because I've implemented a few. I have a vague recollection they're used for crypto as well - hope so, seems a bit niche otherwise.

9. Duncan Macdonald

Still does not match AMD EPYC

Anandtech has a review (https://www.anandtech.com/show/16594/intel-3rd-gen-xeon-scalable-review) that compares the speed of the new Intel chips and the AMD EPYC (Milan). The EPYC wins in almost all tests apart from AVX-512 and idle power consumption. The idle power consumption of the EPYC is higher due to the chipset being in the package, the extra 64 PCIe 4.0 lanes and 256 MB of L3 cache vs 60 MB .

Much of the performance gain from higher IPC in the new Xeon is lost due to the lower frequencies (3.4GHz vs 4GHz).

10. Sgt_Oddball
    Paris Hilton

Upto 6TB of Ram....

With that I'd never need to close another Chrome tab ever again (well, at least for the next year. Let's not go too crazy).

1. richardcox13

Re: Upto 6TB of Ram....

I wish I could afford to accept that challenge!

11. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Real question

The real question is - Will it run Spectre?

Bonus question is - how much of this new impressive performance boost will be lost to software workarounds that prevent hardware data leakage?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like