back to article Seagate claims it shipped its third zettabyte of storage in record time

Disk-maker Seagate claims to have become the first company to ship three zettabytes' worth of data storage devices. A zettabyte is a thousand exabytes, and an exabyte is a thousand petabytes. The latter quantity is far from fanciful these days. Seagate already offers an 18TB Exos drive, they'd only have to sell 56 to hit a …

1. Bloodbeastterror

Easy to remember?

Our American colleagues' somewhat strange spelling of "easy" makes a mnemonic simpler to remember.

TPEZY

Terabyte Petabyte Exabyte Zettabyte Yottabyte

After that I don't bother... too big... :-)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Easy to remember?

"Our American colleagues' somewhat strange spelling of "easy""

Eh? This American spells easy "easy". So does every other Yank I know.

1. Christoph

Except the ones who spell it EZ

1. jake Silver badge

To be fair, illiteracy knows no national boundaries.

2. Bloodbeastterror

Jake, no offence intended. It's just that Americans do tend to simplify some spellings for trade name purposes, and "ezy" (or "ez", as already commented) is the example which suits my mnemonic.

1. jake Silver badge

So you are blaming marketing departments in a foreign nation for your own inadequacy with your mother tongue? Fascinating.

1. Bloodbeastterror

Say whut? Wow, you're a touchy guy. Calm down.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: After Yotta

So far there is no official prefix for 10^27. If they follow the current pattern they will start with nona, decide that Nm is too ambiguous (nonametre or Newton metre) and that nm is already nanometre so go for xona (X) for 10^27 and xono (x) for 10^-27. They could just as easily go Greek and select xenna and xenno. I hope they spilt the difference so we can have Xena and xeno.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Angel

I vote for Xenabyte. Xeno has bad connotations.

Besides, ElReg could use the Xena as a standard unit.

1. jake Silver badge

The misogynistic bastards in the ElReg Standards Soviet have already named the Norris.

2. Wexford

> I vote for Xenabyte. Xeno has bad connotations.

Xenobyte has me thinking of an appalling cross between an alien and a demon from Hell.

2. jake Silver badge

Standards.

"At which point The Register will attempt to calculate how much of it is cat videos"

That's easy. The standard when allocating disk space is 4.53% cat videos, 92.77% pR0n, and the rest is for operating system(s), business tools, and other necessary evils.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Standards.

Mrs Slocombe was only commenting the other day that her pussy is getting all lethargic sitting at home watching cat videos all day long. Says it needs to be out in the fresh air getting some vigorous exercise

1. jake Silver badge

As long as it is properly masked! The world isn't ready for uncovered whiskers as yet.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Linux

there is currently no "-r" option for df in GNU coreutils.

Ideal for a "Reg Units" option, akin to the -h human readable option

1. jake Silver badge

"there is currently no "-r" option for df in GNU coreutils."

It's open source, add one!

Actually ... come to think of it, watch this space ;-)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Pint

Actually ... come to think of it, watch this space ;-)

I was thinking of that/and also did think of suggesting it to you on my post - I think you have mentioned in the past contributions to the Linux kernel or something like that, so thought you will be up for that.

icon --> that's for afters!

3. Denarius

Do you means

ZFS is approaching its limits already. That I did not expect to see. Must be the ad networks and TLAs stashing misinformation

4. Justin Clements

Is that all?

Is anyone else left a bit underwhelmed? 3ZB in 2 years? Is that all? For some reason I expected it to be much much higher than that.

5. DJ
    Flame

Re: Is that all?

Is anyone else wondering when the heck we'll start seeing SSDs of decent capacity that cost an arm and both legs?

A 10 GB HDD is 289 USD on Amazon while a 4 GB SSD is 426 USD.

A cynical person might detect the faint odor of defunct sea life...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like