back to article Yahoo! Answers! will! be! wiped! from! the! internet! next! month!

Yahoo! Answers is shutting down in a month's time after nearly sixteen years online. The corporate outfit once known as Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web announced its decision on Monday by posting a note at the top of its now-doomed Q&A website. Users have until April 20 to pose new questions and provide answers …

1. sreynolds

What a great loss.

So much worthless knowledge soon to be consigned to the bit bucket in the sky.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: Buckets in the sky

Can eHow follow right along behind it?

Please??

2. RM Myers
      Unhappy

Re: What a great loss.

Don't worry - there is still an endless supply of worthless knowledge left on the Internet. This won't even make a dent in the supply.

3. Blackjack Silver badge

And by that you meant web.archive.org that's quite useful anyway.

4. fidodogbreath

You forgot to put the quotes around "knowledge."

5. jake Silver badge

"So much worthless knowledge soon to be consigned to the bit bucket in the sky."

No worries, that's all just duplication of early Usenet, which is archived quite nicely at DejaNews. Or would be, if the idiot kids at AlphaGoo could figure out how to work with simple text files.

2. D. Evans

Finally!

I used to work at Yahoo! and I loved my few years there. Pity the food wasn't free but it was good.

Things have moved on an "Answers" was pretty sad, even in it's prime. If you used it, be honest, it was terrible.

Sorry to see it go for the few people who may have got some good out if, glad to see a useless relic being discarded for the rest of us!

3. sev.monster Silver badge
    1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

That, is a terrifying video, showcasing humans

2. Jonjonz

Maybe Answers should have been titled "Axed Your Questions Here".

1. sev.monster Silver badge

A correction: Yer can dun axed yer kestin's heer.

4. MrMerrymaker

Funny

Answers was really funny though. The absolutely basic questions people would ask. Then immatediely descending into abuse.

Of course, now there's everything else for that remit

1. Vincent Ballard
      Happy

Re: Funny

When I moved to Spain, I considered getting a moped but I wasn't sure whether I'd need to do some equivalent of CBT. I searched the web for something like (in Spanish) "What do I need to ride a moped in Spain?", and the best answer by far was on Yahoo! Answers: "Your mother's blessing".

5. JDPower666

You know your brand is in serious trouble when you're making statements like this - "While Yahoo! was once a key part of Yahoo!’s products and services..."

As for "delivering on Yahoo!’s promise of providing premium trusted content", you only have to look at their current content to see they've not even STARTED on that promise!

6. jake Silver badge

Yahoo! still exists?

Who knew.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yahoo! still exists?

Yep my thoughts exactly.

I've still never quite gotten over having to give up my first email account, which was a Yahoo one, because of their crap security. I made it in 1995.

I have employees born after that email account

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Dude, be thankful your dumbass ISP didn’t outsource your ISP issued mailboxes to Yahoo!

I think the ICO managed to get a deal with Yahoo and received $0.50 per UK individual affected, probably while playing golf together

1. jake Silver badge

Dude, I've been running my own email system for decades, around a decade and a half longer than Y!a!h!o!o! has existed. The only dumbass I can blame for email problems is me.

2. Jonathan Richards 1
        Thumb Up

> first email account, ... in 1995

Heh, I was clearing up some old papers the other day and came across the dot-matrix printout from my BIX registration. It finishes with

Off at Tue Sep 22 05:20:59 1987

DROPPED BY HOST

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Information_Exchange

1. jake Silver badge

I was looking for something completely different a couple months ago when I ran across a complete printout of the fledgling TCP/IP Internet's routing tables from noon on Flag Day (01/01/83). It is not a very large document :-)

7. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

But without Yahoo Answers, where will we get content like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15nNY7uofNw&t=1s

8. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge
    Headmaster

"since it was getting less and less eyeballs"

*fewer

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "since it was getting less and less eyeballs"

It helped if you squinted at the answers.

9. fidodogbreath

And nothing of value was lost...

10. fidodogbreath

Acronym

once known as Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web

I thought it was an acronym of Yet Another Hierarchically-Organized Oracle.

Or, in Reg-speak: Yet! Another! Hierarchically! -! Organized! Oracle!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Acronym

You forgot to ! the !s.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like