back to article Is that... is that a piece of Unikitty? Remembering Skylab via the medium of Lego

We bring our Lego My Own Creation (MOC) odyssey to a close today with a bit of unabashed self-indulgence in the form of a Skylab model and Skylab modification for the enormous Lego Saturn V. Why two? Simply because in spite of the sheer size of the Lego Saturn V, the scale means that a model of America's space station to fit …

1. Blackjack Silver badge

You are bad at click bait, there was no Unikittty picture to keep kids on the page for more that a second or two.

1. Sudosu Bronze badge

Brick bait?

2. Marki Mark
    Go

Super

Another enjoyable brick article...

So much choice for my next bricky project if I move off the official Lego sets

Good stuff

3. Chris G

The only construction kits to hold my attention were the Airfix 1:32 WWII aircraft and tanks or similar, my younger brothers loved Lego but it never interested me.

The best thing I have ever built was a Monogram Martin Marauder B 26 in my dad's squadron colours (RAF 14 Bomber Sqdn), probably the only kit I ever tried to make authentically.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Well the good news

is that there are enough Lego bricks out there to go to the moon ten times.

The bad news is that a Lego crushes under the weight of a tower only a couple of miles high.

Shame, really.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Well the good news

>The bad news is that a Lego crushes under the weight of a tower only a couple of miles high.

The secret is Pyramids. Actually optimum is a caustic cone but pyramids will do.

The limit on building a lego mountain (or any other mountain) would be plastic flow of the rock slumping out into a shallower wider pile of rock (or lego)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: there are enough Lego bricks out there to go to the moon ten times.

I think we will only be able to regard ourselves as a *successful* species once we have created a sufficiency of lego; i.e. so that, if gathered together, it would self-gravitate and form a lego black hole. :-)

That could explain the Fermi paradox.

Any advanced species refuses to throw away their childhood Lego. If the amount of Lego doubles each generation, after a few 100 generations they reach 3+ Solar masses and their toy cupboards all collapse into a black hole.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Damnit, I hate it when that happens.

It also suggests that any advanced species will eventually evolve hooves -

because any members of the species who trod on lego on the way to the bedroom wouldn't have been in a mood to breed.

5. Precordial thump Silver badge

dropped on Western Australia

I've just driven the Nullarbor, passing through Balladonia, the nearest civilisation (sic) to where the bits that fell to Earth landed. If you have the time to drive 10 hours East of Perth, you can still see some of them, if you like. And buy petrol at $1.93/L.

If you were to drop this model out your car window as you travel past, the local Shire might treat you the way they did NASA back in the day; $400 fine for littering.

6. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

We bring our Lego My Own Creation (MOC) odyssey to a close today

Woah there not so fast. You cannot possibly consider your odyssey complete until you've built the ISS. In multiple configurations showing at least one delivery vehicle of each type present. And all the construction & service launch vehicles on the pad.

Snap to it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heat shield

So ... instead of adding the heat shield because they got too hot, turns out they should've just removed a window.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/09/people_complicate_things/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon