back to article 'Anomalous surge in DNS queries' knocked Microsoft's cloud off the web last week

It was a tsunami of DNS queries that ultimately took out a host of Microsoft services, from Xbox Live to Teams, for some netizens about an hour on April Fools' Day, Redmond has said. Or as the Windows giant put it, the outage was the result of "an anomalous surge in DNS queries from across the globe targeting a set of domains …

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

one specific sequence of events exposed a code defect in our DNS service

Wot, no comments?

The moral of the story is...

Look for bugs rather than them find you.

===

I used to work in a real-time environment where the mantra was "if it falls over once, try it again. If it still fails, investigate."

If I did a test which fell over, my mantra was "I may never get another opportunity to squish what may be a possible one-in-a-million bug, let me take it."

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: one specific sequence of events exposed a code defect in our DNS service

A one-in-a-million bug? Make that nine times out of ten.

2. Dwarf

Elasticity

One of the main benefits of cloud native implementations is elasticity. You would have hoped that Microsoft as one of the big 3 would have implemented this properly in critical services like DNS.

Or perhaps more of the cloud snake oil is starting to show - in that it doesn’t solve all of the worlds problems.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Elasticity

Microsoft are the only one who've made a cloud because they wanted to make a cloud. The other two made a cloud out of their existing infrastructure and expertise. We shouldn't be surprised when the "tacked on business unit" falls over. Those tacks don't hold forever.

3. David Roberts
    Windows

Is it DNS?

It can't be DNS!

It was DNS.

[Traditional IT saying]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like